What are the signs of postpartum depression?

Hey ladies, so I’m a first time mom, I’m 29 weeks and 5 days today with my little girl. I just had a few questions, for one is it normal to feel depressed…I just constantly feel so tired and so upset and alone, I cry literally constantly, and I know I’m not but I just have the worst feelings and it scares me. I’m terrified I’m not going to be a good momma… and for the second question, what’s a good way to get rest? My bed is way too hard and upstairs so I have been sleeping on the couch for about 2 months now which is so much more comfy BUT I can’t seem to get to sleep, I just toss and turn all night then end up sleeping all day because I can’t seem to get out of bed unless I HAVE too :disappointed: my back is fractured and my tail bone has been broken twice over the past few years so it hurts so bad to walk/get up/move. On top of it all, I work a part time job but pretty much full time hours at a tool store, so I have to lift stuff a lot, I try not to but I can’t really help it, so with that being said, when did all of you take your leave while pregnant? I have a car payment and can’t go out too early since I’ll be out for a bit, but I don’t wanna wait and hurt myself too much, should I just ask my doctor? Sorry for the long post, TIA​:purple_heart::green_heart:

3 Likes

Talk with your doctor! If you can get a doctors note you can go on sick leave benefits up to 15 weeks, then maternity leave.

1 Like

Maybe try one of those egg crate type of cushions to go under your sheet of you know what I’m talking about?! I think pregnancy makes your brain very hormonal, I drove past a bull everyday and cried bc he was all alone :roll_eyes: lol. You’ll be good once you see your amazing baby love! But if you feel overwhelmed, maybe talk to someone? That can help a great deal. I worked until the day I delivered, but in an office setting. I would not lift too much, and ask for help.

1 Like

1, Stop lifting stuff. You can help it. Your job shouldn’t be allowing it. Period. Get a Drs note if you have to, but STOP.
2. It is normal to feel crazy while pregnant. Lol. Talk to your Dr and see about talking to a therapist BEFORE the baby gets here. Working with them now can help you if it develops in sometjing like PPD.
3. Make sure you’re eating right. Foods do have an effect on our brains.
4. Go for a walk. Enjoy the nice days as they come. Even tired. Force yourself to go. It’ll help combat some of what you’re feeling. :green_heart:
*I love Tai Chi (check out You Tube). It’s relaxing for your mind and mind. Try it. You may love it too. :green_heart::hugs:

1 Like

As for the sleep, find a recliner !! I got one at a garage sale for $25 and it was a life saver! Only way I could get any sleep!

1 Like

My doctor told me to take omnisome sleeping pills when I was pregnant. They are the safe ones to take when pregnant if used correctly and they helped me sleep so much better. My back and tailbone was also hurting so (no judgements) I slept in a pool inner tube. So much more comfortable In my opinion. Also you can take fish oils for the depression they help balance your mood. Well they did mine​:relaxed: hope this helps you and congratulations :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Talk to your doctor & possibly can get a note to go on early leave. Good Luck!! Keep us posted.

1 Like

I appreciate it guys! I posted anon because I didn’t know if anyone knew me or anything and was worried. I have tried to get a doctors note, I actually DID have one, but they told me I’d be put on leave if I couldn’t lift. So that went down the drain. At this point idk what to do. I’m worried to death about hurting Ava or myself from working too much, I’ve looked for a desk job but there is none :frowning: I appreciate all the help ladies, I’m just so worried about so much, not to mention I’m trying to find a place with my fiancee and we need a 3 bedroom and it’s so hard to find one here in Gadsden :disappointed:

I have had two boys and two girls…I have been depressed with both the girls and had very upbeat happy pregnancies with the boys…I put this down to extra female hormones making me feel more emotional :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sleepy::grinning: but I do think you should talk to your doctor too…there are ways to support you through this xxx hope everything goes really well xxx​:heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

I felt horrible physically throughout my entire pregnancy. I do have a lot of health issues that contributed to feeling that horrible. Sleeping, I slept when I could bc the farther along you are the harder it gets to get comfy anywhere to sleep. Depressed yes, I cried a lot and I blame a lot of it on those HORMONES!! I never had morning sickness thank you God but it was still pretty horrible the entire way through. However I do have a healthy, beautiful, smart sassy little girl to show for all that time I was miserable! I didn’t want to move either due to health related issues that pregnancy did not help with! My Sciatica was HORRIBLE!! You’ll be a great mom I’m sure and that’s a common fear I think most new be mom’s have/feel. As far as work your doctor can write a note with restrictions (light duty) your place of employment will need to go by those restrictions as far as lifting heavy objects etc: Good luck with things hope they go well for both you and your baby❣

1 Like