What are the symptoms of ADHD?

My son is 7 almost 8 and is in 2nd grade. I am 100% positive he has ADHD. He struggles to complete work sometimes but has gotten way better this school year. His teacher wants me to have him medicated but his Dr doesn’t see the need. He is an all A honor roll student, he isn’t misbehaving, he doesn’t act out, he just can’t complete things. Hes super smart. My husband can bring home his pay check 1300-1700 most of the time and hand it to him amd he can count every penny. He reads at 4th grade level. I’m so against medicating him it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. I have ADHD and I struggled as a kid. The medication I was on caused severe depression and anxiety and even caused me to cut myself and try to overdose. So they put me on different meds to counteract the side effects and eventually had me on 16 diff medications. I know things are different but I’m still completely terrified of my son going thru this and I don’t know how to make it clear to his teacher that I don’t want him on meds. Ive been trying differnt things to help him control it and hes getting better at it. Am I wrong for not wanting to give it a try?

44 Likes