What are your Christmas traditions?

Hey mommas! Can I ask what your family’s Christmas traditions are, if you have any?? It’s our first Christmas as a family of 4, and we are looking for a new tradition to start

8 Likes

My kids favorite is Christmas eve… they get a gift from the elf (we did it before the elf but they were too young to remember that) they each get new Christmas pj’s (Christmas themed or just what they are into), a cocoa mug, a tin of popcorn, a Christmas movie, and some “special cocoa” (either rainbow marshmallows or something that’s different… this year I ordered cocoa bombs from someone online). They get changed and we watch our movie with the cocoa and popcorn then put out milk and cookies and go to bed.

We used to open one gift on Christmas eve but I found it got them more excited and kept them from going to sleep so we switched to this because it settles them down before bed.

1 Like

On Christmas eve we go ride around and look at Christmas lights, go home and put on Jammy’s, pop popcorn & make cocoa, watch national lampoon’s Christmas vacation & another Christmas movie of our choosing. After the kids are down we drink spiked eggnog, put out santa stuff, and go to bed!

2 Likes

Nice elf naughty elf that get moved everynight after kids asleep. Cookies for santa and a bell that only santa can hear so he knows ya got cookies. Reindeer food made from oatmeal corn whatever ya got that squirrels eat.

1 Like

Making gingerbread houses, decorating cookies, having a polar express pj party, making reindeer food with oatmeal and sprinkles to put outside for Santa’s reindeer and lots of various Christmas crafts.

1 Like

My kids get a little present to open Christmas Eve, watch a film with some snacks and then will have breakfast when they get up and then open the rest of the presents in the morning. They will have all morning to play with their toys and then in the afternoon we go to nanny and grandads and have dinner and open the presents from other family members xxx

1 Like

Kids get small gift xmas eve…Get new xmas eve pjs…Have hot choc and marshmallows with candy cane…Watch xmas movies…Order a takeaway tea…Kids leave carrot mince pie and milk on their specially engraved santa plate…They go up early i read the night before xmas…Then i sort out xmas presents…Watch midnight mass on tv…

1 Like

Following! Same boat
I’m a Christmas day person. And I love Christmas so I want to make it special for the kids.
I love to bake, so were going to bake and really let them play with the stuff they got. But I want to make it special as out 1st full Christmas together.
We never really pushed “Santa is real” and the youngest is a girl oldest a boy.
Your guys traditions are too cute

1 Like

Always take the kiddos to Target to pick out an ornament every year because they have super cute ones for like $3. I and the hubby also pick one out, also do the open one present on Christmas Eve which is some comfy pjs for everyone and do a movie.

2 Likes

Gingerbread house contest
Maybe some boardgames

1 Like

Christmas Eve we gift everyone a new book and jammies. We watch a movie with finger foods and get to bed. Spend a bit of time able to read our new books and doze off to sleep. We always make no bake cookies and set out carrots for reindeer.

1 Like

During the xmas season we go look at lights at least once, we do the chocolate advent calendars so they can do the count down, of course we have and decorate a tree with the kids and each year they get to pick out ONE ornament of their own each to be added. Typically let them do a gingerbread house/cookies decoration kit, xmas eve they get to open ONE gift each of our choosing. We bake Santa’s fav cookies, leave milk, carrots for the reindeer along with letters they wrote to Santa. Then xmas we read Santa’s letters, then see what surprises are in santas stockings for them, then we hand out presents to them. This year is first that my fiance and I have together (we are expecting our first together and I have four from prior ship,) and we are doing things slightly different bc of his family. Our plans will still stay but we are doing the big xmas dinner on xmas eve with his mom and uncle at our house instead of xmas day. I’ll make a bunch of snacks, they’ll bring some stuff and give the girls their presents then and they’ll get theirs from us at that time which means the girls won’t get to open ones from us early per usual since they’ll get the in laws presents. Otherwise, we keep things pretty low key.

1 Like

We have a small stocking that gets filled with chocolate coins, the strip bubble gums, a chocolate orange & a few little treats that we put at the end of our beds xmas eve for the morning. It started as my parents doing it for my 2 brothers & I & nearly 30 years later, we still have the same stockings & still do it but, obviously, put them on our own beds now. I’m carrying the tradition on with my 2 children too. I also plan on doing Christmas eve boxes with new pyjamas for xmas night, hot chocolate stirs & a movie or book & I’ll adapt it as the get older.

I hide a pickle ornament in the tree and whoever finds it is suppose to have good luck for the next year and they get an extra gift

1 Like

We buy a new ornament for each of us every year. Something that describes the year or a new interest sometimes its just a fun something. My gma did this for us and when we moved out (or married) we had a collection to start with for our own tree. My son is already picking out some extra ones for the year so he can have it for his future tree!

Cinnamon rolls and egg nog christmas morning. Matching pjs xmas eve night and Christmas all day. Go to tree farm and cut tree. :christmas_tree:

What I used to with my mom and grandma and grandpa is we open one gift on Christmas eve and its usually a new pair or pjs for that night and then we sit and watch the polar express and my grandpa would read the night before Christmas to us and then off to bed and we didn’t do this last when I just had my son but we are trying to do it this year but idk cause we will be working on moving then

It’s quite silly but my mom used to do the konga with the turkey used to make me giggle miss it so much :heart:

2 Likes

I read my babies (5yrs, 2yrs, 7months) the night before Christmas on Christmas Eve. It’s a family tradition.

I make my grandkids Christmas Eve boxes. New pj’s, a movie, a new cup, hot chocolate and snacks. We go looking at Christmas lights and then they get to open that 1 gift.

We do Christmas Eve boxes, and also we save a surprise present for the kids to open after dinner, something my mum always did when I was a kid so I’ve always done it for mine :woman_shrugging:t3::joy: xxx

Getting hot chocolate and going around to look at Christmas lights on Christmas eve.

Christmas Eve box: pjs, movie, book, popcorn

Christmas book each night of December

Just started doing elf on a shelf

Don’t forget to read the account of Jesus birth. Remember because of Him we celebrate.

1 Like

I buy mygrandkid and nieces and nephews an ornament every year. So when they grow up and move out they will have their own and some memories to go with them

Today I bought all the candies to make our gingerbread houses from scratch. I don’t like the store bought ones. We will do this Wednesday

We take turns writing a story about our family and all the events that happened over the past year and use a lot of “left and rights” in the story and so everyone brings a white elephant gift and you pass it left or right when said in the story and once its over you open the present that you end up with

I do a bake ham each year like my mum does

Following as me too. Just had a girl in January and looking for new things to do

1 present to open on Christmas eve with new pajamas, a new movie, and snacks.

Way before 2020 Covid, my parents would always take us to the local dollar store to shop for each other, they would wonder around helping all three of us pick out our sibling gifts. Then we would go to a movie, we rarely went to the movies so this was a big deal and it was usually something very silly. When we got home we were assigned rooms to wrap our sibling gifts then after dinner we would exchange our sibling gifts. This was the only gifts we were allowed to open on Christmas Eve.
On the day of Christmas since we couldn’t see both sets of family due to distance, my parents rule was we all stated home and watched the new movies we got from Santa! Christmas Day was also the only day of the year that we didn’t have to share our toys, my dad always said, “tomorrow is sharing day.” We shared our gifts most of the time but it was nice to have the option to say no… hope as my daughter grows I can bring all of these traditions into our lives.

2 Likes

We watch a Christmas movie while decorating the tree.
We add special ornaments every year. Special movie or moment.
Picking out the tree. We gone to cut our own, or just to the lot to pick one together. Nothing like bonding while trying to struggle a tree onto the car by yourselves!

1 Like

My husband and I decided a few years back that we want our kids to be good gift givers as well as gift receivers, so we set a plan to help them buy gifts for each other. We started with each one buying something for everyone, but it was crazy stressful and expensive for us, so about 5 years ago we switched it up a little. We have 6 kids (16, 14,12,10, 8, and 7). So now we do a family gift exchange,parents included. Each year we draw a name at Thannsgiving time and buy something special and thoughtful for our one person. We give the kids a $10-15 budget and take them out, one on one, to buy. We try to do it secret Santa style, but we always end up knowing who bought for whom pretty quickly. Most of the kids really enjoy thinking of their person and picking out something for them. Some try to be sneaky about asking them what they want. My 8 year old asked me “on behalf of the person who drew my name” what I wanted. :slight_smile: It is so much fun to watch their faces light up when their person opens the gift they bought. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Also, some of the kiddos are so excited that it’s hard for them to keep secrets…so a good amount of this shopping happens a day or two before Christmas to try to keep the blabbing to a minimum. This is just one way we have had success helping the kids to know that giving is equally important to, and many times better than getting. And our experiment has worked.

Christmas eve pajamas. On Christmas eve we drink hot cocoa and eat donuts. Listen to the Polar Express book, Twas the night before Christmas, and the story from the bible. Also, Disney Christmas sing a long!

On Christmas Eve we put our Christmas pajamas on and watch the Polar Express.

2 Likes

My kids always slept under the Christmas tree.

3 Likes

Christmas PJs new coco mugs and some good old Christmas cartoons oo and one toy lol it’s a blast

1 Like

I put together a Xmas eve box that has new Xmas pjs, a Xmas book, a DIY gingerbread house to do and a selection of snacks (popcorn and a bag of sweets and Xmas themed chocolate ) and we watch a Xmas movie of Netflix or Disney+

2 Likes

Last year we started a new tradition where we go round and look at Christmas lights in the car, my son chooses the best dressed house and we ring their door bell and leave a box of chocolates with a note saying how amazing their Christmas lights are!

3 Likes

I’m continuing a tradition my mom did. We always have a birthday cake for Jesus and sing Happy Birthday.

2 Likes

We do Jammie’s on Xmas eve and watch 8 Crazy Nights

1 Like

Ginger bread competition’s. Tons of fun.

We open 1 gift (usually pjs) and watch Christmas movies and we always buy a family ornament dated of course. I also buy my kids 1 ornament every year so when they are out on their own they have a bunch for their 1st tree❤️

2 Likes

We always have pancakes for breakfast on Xmas

Making crafts with my little people, this year my older daughter made 2 beautiful wreaths ,making cookies, hosting Xmas eve dinner, watching Xmas movies ,Xmas day brunch .usually would go to my moms in Michigan but border closed .

We bake
We decorate a gingerbread house
We make a salt dough ornament which is my sons gift to the adults
We write to santa
Advent calender
Elf on the shelf
On Christmas eve the elf leaves a goodbye gift and it is Christmas pajamas, a book and an ornament for my sons tree

We usually go to church Christmas eve but that won’t happening. Christmas day we go to my dtrs house and open gifts and have breakfast. Christmas evening they come to my house for dinner.

We draw names, and everyone gets to buy one person their gift. This way we can afford nicer gifts, rather than have all 5 kids buying for each other with the same amount of money.

We bake cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve… then Christmas morning we have cinnamon rolls and open gifts.

We have three kids - 11, 9, and 6. Every Christmas Eve they get a box to,open that always has the same things each year - new Pjs, a new ornament for the tree, a Christmas book, and essentials like undies, socks, new shoes/sneakers. They know what they’re getting, but get excited about it every year to find out what theme,or what kind of PJs they got. The Sunday before Christmas we have family over and have a Christmas Cookie Baking Day. We make all the cookies for Christmas and for Santa. While we watch Christmas movies throughout the season, we always watch Its. A Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve and the kida get to wear their new jammies.

This will be our first year trying it (my daughter is four), but we’re going to have a sleepover under the Christmas tree! Of course there will be snacks and a movie and songs and such!

We take a family photo and then I print it in wallet size and Mod podge it to a wooden tag and make an ornament out if it. It’s fun to watch the kids grow thru the years. Also we paint the kids hands in a different color each year and stamp them on our tree skirt.

1 Like

Christmas Eve my kids throw out reindeer food. (Its oatmeal with some glitter and a few chocolate chips.) The glitter helps them find our house. My kids love this tradition :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

We all try to coordinate matching pajamas… in the month of December we go get hot chocolate and drive around looking at lights on houses…I have an app called Catch Santa In My House and every Christmas Eve night once I get the presents under the tree, I go on the app and create a picture to show my daughter morning…I also make Santa’s footprints going from my door to the tree, take a boot, slightly wet the bottom and then dip it in glitter and baking soda and then press it on floor and it leaves print… also we always have a night that we make gingerbread houses.

We bake and make a new ornament for our tree every year. And we watch christmas movies all night until midnight as a family our kids lay in pjs on our pull out sofa as we have 1 yr old twins and a 2 year old and they each cookies & drink milk while we watch the movies.

We don’t have anything major. I’ve pulled the Christmas Eve gift tradition from my family. We always got pjs but my 10yo(step)son doesn’t wear them. So we do house shoes. Or something else beneficial at night time. Last year was a night light.
We go to the Mr’s family for Christmas Eve. And we go to mine Christmas Day.
I’m hoping as the new baby(due in May) grows with us that we’ll get some more fun and festive traditions.

My family did everything from cookies to letters to parades. And in his family the kids quiet believing in Santa before their even 10. I met the 10yo at 7yo and he didn’t believe :woman_facepalming:t3: my uncle really believed til he was 14.

Take turns and say what you love what need and how to give back
A box filled with questions on life love etc
Getting together :heart: learning xoxoxo

My girls always were able to open one Christmas present on Christmas eve. It would always be a new pair of pajamas, a new mug and hot coca. Some years I would wrap them all as one big gift and add a movie others they would be separate. This way they always had new pj’s for morning pictures when seeing what Santa brought.

We take a corny Christmas picture every year. This year we are doing matching pajamas

We do a Christmas Eve box with pajamas, hot cocoa, Christmas mugs, popcorn, a Christmas movie and Christmas book

We do advent calendars, we make cookies for Santa a few hours before we leave them out for him. Christmas morning I make cinnamon buns and hot chocolate for everyone when they wake up.

We have cocoa 1st thing Christmas morning while my husband reads about the birth of Jesus from the bible. Then we sing Happy Birthday to Jesus and thank him for our gifts an blessings! Then my kids get to open their presents.

Christmas eve box. In it is pajamas, christmas movie, popcorn, and treats. My daughter and I have been doing this for 5 years and she loves it

3 Likes

I started this tradition with my husband before we were married for every Christmas we shared we would keep and continue use of our old ornaments but we would go somewhere and buy 1 single NEW ornament that symbolized us or our love for each other or something we equally enjoyed about that ornament and put it on the tree. Eventually if you make it long enough your tree with all your 1 a year ornaments will have collected a piece of yalls relationship and put it on display for Christmas each year.

1 Like

My favorite meal was always my mom’s Christmas brunch. It was egg & cheese souffle, ham, fresh fruit, little orange muffins and ebilskivers ( little round pancakes with apple sauce in the middle). We never had enough room at a table for all of us so we all sat on the living room floor and had a fabulous time. Usually followed by ice skating or sledding.The night before, we would attend Christmas eve church service at mid-night. Wonderful music, fresh poinsettias and decorated christmas trees.

1 Like

Some years we make Jesus a birthday cake . I let the kids go sprinkle crazy and decorate it themselves. We make cookies Christmas eve and do PJ movies boxes on Christmas eve.

I have a 18 month old. & thid os her 2nd Christmas. So I started a tradition where I get her a new ornament for the tree every year. Also a christmas box every christmas eve filled with pajamas, a snack, a movie, && a new book.

Also every year, on Christmas Eve, my sister’s, uncle, & grandparents come over && we play this game. We all bring a gift, & wrapped already. & we all sit in a circle, put oven mits on, & we have to try & unwrap the gift. We each get a certain amout of time & whoever gets the gift unwrapped before our time is up, we get to choose a gift in the middle of the circle!

1 Like

Every year i have my kids each make a special ornament for their daddy and we also do salt dough ornaments. christmas eve we make “magic reindeer food” and sprinkle it on the lawn. when my oldest is at school i cut out a bunch of snowflakes and hang them from the ceiling and put lights up and his mini tree in his room for him to decorate when he gets home. i love the look on his face when he sees it its that “wow” moment. sometimes i wait till they go to sleep christmas eve and put up extra lights in the house and the train around the tree to surprise them on christmas. we also do all the typical traditions that would come to mind. as a kid though my family was religious and would go to a christmas eve candle lit service then hot chocolate and a drive around town to see everyones lights. this year santa will be leaving a special snow globe next to the milk and cookie plate🙂but i guess it all depends on how old your kids are and what you guys like. sometimes ive found the best traditions seem to create themselves

I would give my kids a certain amount of money to shop for Toys for Tots.

On Christmas Eve my kids get a gift that has a new ornament just for them, pjs to sleep in, a movie, bag of popcorn and a thing of hot chocolate… we usually eat dinner go look at lights and then come home and watch a movie

We do an old German tradition when we decorate the Christmas tree on Thanksgiving day. We have a little tiny pickle ornament that either me or my husband hides. On Christmas Eve the person who didn’t hide it gets to look for it. If they find it they get to open a gift that night.

We are currently pregnant with our first child :smiley:

2 Likes

Christmas movie with snacks, driving around decorated houses, listening to christmas music while opening presents

We have the kids pick out a new ornament each year

Matching Christmas pajamas and gingerbread or cooking making competition…

Christmas eve boxes with pjs, books, hot cocoa, and a movie with popcorn

We decorate a gingerbread house it’s messy but fun.

Then I usually read them stories about the meaning behind Christmas. Or let them also chose a book to read every night.

The birth of Jesus. I always take them to see the story. At church.

Then on Christmas day we all get together and have family dinner.

Ive been doing Christmas Eve boxes since before they were a “thing”. They’d have PJs, slippers, quiet toys & books to take to church, a hallmark ornament & that year’s dated stuffed animal. The animals got packed with the tree. They came out with the tree on the day after Thanksgiving every year. I did the animals until he was 11 so he had a dozen animals. Since then he got a stable then a nativity piece each year. Now for my younger 2 I just do PJs, slippers, a toy & anything else that goes with the theme. We watch the movie or show that goes with the theme.

Breakfast stockings get placed in their room after they go to sleep Christmas Eve. They get fruit, juice etc along with a “busy toy” (lego set, puzzle, craft kit etc). It keeps them busy for a bit so I can prepare myself for the excitement. The quietest, most respectful, child gets to open the first gift.

Chinese take out & the movies. No movies this year!

Chocolate countdown advent calendar and watching a Christmas story

Always matching jammies!

We wake up at 6 am me and my partner have our morning coffee while the kids sit and wait by the tree we then open presents and put things together and kids are free to do as they please no breakfast just a big Christmas lunch and then leftovers for dinner that night and the next day.

We do new Christmas pjs every year on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day we open gifts early and later in the day we have a living room picnic (veggies, popcorn, finger foods ect.) while watching Christmas movies.

We started a new tradition this year. We read the first Christmas story before opening presents. We also spend all day enjoying our gifts and each other.

We skip supper on Christmas Eve and snack on treats i.e. lil’ smokies in bbq sauce, summer sausage, a couple varieties of cheese, crackers, spanish and ripe olives and a shrimp ring. Sometimes menu varies but there’s always enough to snack on the next day after a cooked breakfast. We usually buy new jammies for everyone and enjoy Christmas movies while we snack.