What are your Thanksgiving traditions?

We usually host a large group, but we decided to cancel this year due to covid. It will just be our little family of four. I am still cooking all of the same dishes, but I want the day to feel special, not just like every other night I cook dinner. Any ideas? We already put our Christmas tree up and completely decorated the house, so that’s out. I just don’t want us all to scarf the food down in 20 mins and then go back to our associated screens, ignoring each other.

79 Likes

Have some different board/ card games to play if y’all like those

2 Likes

This year we are getting back into the tradition of sending christmas cards. That was one of my exciting times during the holidays. Checking the mail for the cards…reading them and then hanging them up across the living room.

2 Likes

Crafts, games (indoors and outdoors, watching movies.

Have extra Christmas cards for your family to send a message to service men and women who are in a hospital

1 Like

Have family game night. We love playing games with the kiddos and gives us quality family time. NO phones allowed zone too!

We are going to do mini ginger bread houses made out of pop tarts. Decorate stockings.

Board games after dessert, monopoly was a big one we played after Christmas dinner (don’t have thanksgiving in Australia)

I miss our trations, kids all grown and have there own Family, even we live close together, every year is something else, so i gave up on our traditions, i will do overtme, instead of seating at home. Hold on to your traditions as long you can.

There’s lots of fun Christmas games on YouTube! You could do a small Yankee swap. You could do some baking with the family. You could make “raindeer food” all the kids in my family enjoy that and enjoy putting it outside Christmas eve as well

Play board/card games, put on some holiday movies, craft holiday cards?

Thanksgiving I cook and after dinner and everything is cleaned up we play some games. After we watch Dutch and then it’s usually bed time. This years a little different since it’s also my son’s birthday.

Start by unplugging the modem for a day. Board games. Jigsaw puzzle. Cards. A family video game like Mario Kart. Coloring at the table. Christmas craft, like painting ornaments or making a wreath.

We pass around a pumpkin (fake) and write things we are grateful for each year. It’s also fun to read what we’ve written in the past. :jack_o_lantern:

Start watching each of your favorite Christmas movies

Build a gingerbread house

Game night, play bingo for prizes, rent a movie, roast marshmallows outside, crafts, be silly and have fun

Do you have any Christmas light displays in your area? See some lights at dark if you do. I agree with the others about playing board games or family video games or even a card game like Uno. If you do have a video gaming system you can look for popular board games made into video games even. What are your kids into? They make games based on lots of stuff. Like for instance I found Minecraft Uno and Fortnite monopoly.

50+ years ago my husband and I celebrated our 1st Thanksgiving by cooking 2 cornish game hens and all the trimmings, then we bought some coloring books, and coloured like children all afternoon. We had so much fun I still remember it 50+ years later.

60 Likes

Normally we have a large family dinner with all my siblings and their families. This year however it is just going to be my husband and I so we will probably do something simple. My children got to their fathers this year also. It gives me time to wraps Christmas gifts.

3 Likes

Before we retired in 2012 and moved to the midwest we had BIG family Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings. Mostly at least a 26 pound Turket and a smoked ham etc. This year we will have 4 and possibly one more with lots to eat and be thankful for. HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all,

5 Likes

The thing that we have always done is sitting around the table after everybody is done with the main scarf, and we sit, shoot the bull, tell a few off color stories, admit a few things that mom and dad may or may not know from our youth, and laugh, a lot. Deep, rolling, gasping for breath laughing. It is my favorite part of the day.

26 Likes

I am working Thanksgiving Day I am a caregiver and will be sharing Thanksgiving with him it will be a great day Happy Thanksgiving everyone stay safe

2 Likes

After dinner, but before dessert we do a Christmas craft. Most of the family joins in, making their own or helping the little kids. I use them to decorate for Christmas then everyone takes theirs home.

I normally go to my niece’s for a huge extended family dinner, but they mask intermittently and do not social distance so this senior is staying home with the dog. That’s fine for me.

8 Likes

Go take a walk after dinner… spend some quality time together remembering all the good things in life to b thankful for and maybe walk through town n see the Christmas deco around!

Give each kid a laundry basket and instruct them to fill it with toys for less fortunate children. Santa cannot bring new toys until they get rid of some! That should keep kids busy while adults have dessert and after dinner beverages and solve all the world’s problems!

8 Likes

Watch the Macy’s parade, play games. I saw a spread/ad in Country Living magazine for Hallmark and their Christmas movie line up. The ad included a link address on the County Living website where you can print off Holliday movie bingo cards to use while you watch. Sounded cute and fun. :woman_shrugging:

We play games… Charades, the drawing one i can’t think of the name of, etc. Any kind of action games, so everyone doesn’t get too sleepy after big meal.

5 Likes

I host Thanksgiving for my entire family at my home. We handle the turkey and my mom and sisters bring the sides and desserts. Everyone starts showing up around 12p and we usually start eating around 2p. Afterwards we hang out, play various games and enjoy each other’s company until after dark. There will be my family of 6 (I have 2 step kids that live in another state and one that is 20 and lives on his own), my mom, my middle sister with her family of 5 and my other sister with her family of 4. No plans to change tradition in any way this year.

5 Likes

Does your little group enjoy games or perhaps crafts? Surprising the group with a new card game or outdoor game might liven up the day…or pull out games gathering dust and make a day of it! If you like crafts, perhaps making some ornaments to drop off later at a nursing home…or make small blankets from fleece to donate to a pet shelter…or make Christmas cards to take to a nursing home…

6 Likes

Beautiful reminds me of the 12 days of Christmas! 2 Cornish hens and a partridge in a pear tree! Happy holidays

1 Like

We used to have our dinner, clean up the dishes, then either play cards or board games, or maybe work a jigsaw puzzle for family time. Togetherness is so important for a family.

4 Likes

Our family is getting together like always but my nephew, his wife and 3 sons who, unfortunately, had COVID this summer. They are being super cautious. And who could blame them!

3 Likes

Play Christmas music watch Christmas movies shows make out Christmas lists or talk about what your thankful for talk about Christmas and the real meaning of Christmas

4 Likes

After you eat do you like a game night until you can eat dessert again :blush:
then all snuggle in and watch a new movie that came out as a family!

4 Likes

We’re celebrating as a family as usual. It’s a risk but the risk of getting killed in a car accident is much more probable. Anyway some of us may not be here to see each other again next year. Praying it will be ok. Taking as much precaution as possible. God bless you all and stay safe. Happy Thanksgiving :turkey::maple_leaf:

12 Likes

Our first Thanksgiving was in Amberg Germany. My husband invited guys to our house who didn’t want another mess hall meal! They sure were brave! My first turkey ever!! Such a great time - they were all so nice - my introduction to being a military wife! :heart:

2 Likes

We start the day by watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade (it will be on I checked) and drinking mimosas. The kids would all get together after the parade and plan a skit (to be put on after dinner). This would take most of the morning while the food is being cooked. Dinner around 2. Kids clean up and adults enjoy adult drinks. Skit. We would all watch The Wizard of Oz after. You can make your own traditions…

7 Likes

How about a family time where each person takes time to write down what they are truly thankful for then read them out loud to each other. Take time next to pray as a family thanking God for all things great and small but especially for each other.

Dress up set the table with your Good China if you have it cloth napkins Make it a special day as THANKSGIVING SHOULD BE . During prayer have each person be grateful for one thing they are truly grateful for. It’s kind of fun to listen to the little ones and what they are thankful for

1 Like

When our kids were little we would save our empty paper towel rolls a few weeks before Thanksgiving and cut them into rings. The day before Thanksgiving we would paint them in fall colors and while they dried we would go out and collect acorns and fall leaves to be hot glued onto the painted rings. We would roll the silverware into napkins and place them in our Thanksgiving napkin rings. Great activity for the kids and makes for a festive table!!!

5 Likes

My family has canceled thanksgiving and Xmas with the big family. Thanksgiving will just be husband , me and 2 daughters with the whole dinner. Xmas will also include grandson wife and my great grandson. Think about all the things you’ve wanted to talk about or ask each other. What a better time?

We usually go to our daughter’s house in N.H. but not this year.It’ll just be hubby and me but we are making all the usual just smaller.We’re going to eat in the diningroom just to fancy it a little.

3 Likes

Family game - sorry, aggravation, Yahtzee, Tripoli, card games. Turn off the screens put them in a box in another room .

3 Likes

My family and I have stocked up on board games over the last 1.5 years. Since we are not able to have the big shindig like usual, we will be playing board games and making it a family game day.

3 Likes

After dinner during desserts I had a table set up to make a Christmas ornament for all who wanted to make one. This year it will just be me

2 Likes

Last year I did thanksgiving with my boyfriend and his family. My best friend also got to come along and there were 7 people total. Everyone helped put together a dish and then after everyone was done eating we all helped clean up and then we sat together and played uno. After we played uno we watched a funny movie.

1 Like

Ride around and look at Christmas lights.

3 Likes

We always watched our favorite Christmas show. Ours was a Wonderful Life. So pick you favorite just watch with Christmas tree lights and snuggle in

1 Like

People stay home and be safe this virus is a fast spreader I know my husband and I have it so don’t be stupid

3 Likes

I am going to Thanksgiving this year so it’s my whole family regardless of what’s happening with covid I want to be with my grandma

2 Likes

I dont know why you can’t have Thanksgiving with at least some of your family. Ask everyone to do a temp check and don’t come if you are feeling ill. - But, if you decide against it, maybe an outside activity. Croquette? I’m in FL so the weather is always nice. (Except hurricanes)

1 Like

We are going to zooming our dinner along with Christmas as well

1 Like

Watch the parade in the morning. Everyone says what they are thankful for. Eat our dinner and watch football!

1 Like

If family members ( ones not coming ) have a special dish that they brought or loved. ( even loved ones passed on) cook it and share memories or funnies about that person :heart:

A collection of jigsaw puzzles of various levels if difficulty. Each puzzle has a winter/Christmas theme. Nice because you can leave it and come back later.

Having everyone help cook and clean up.
Make special crafts and play games. Dont make the day only about eating. Its more about those who are most important making and sharing memories.
Make it a low key screen day. Video chat with friends and family.
And then continue with the family memory making all through the up coming weeks. Make things, baking things, playing games and being creative. Bet it will be your most memorable holidays ever.

After dinner sit at the table and have a family game night!

1 Like

Designate it screen free except for the tv and watch Christmas movies? Play a game together? Do a great big puzzle? Make new memories!!

1 Like

Some kind of a game. My husband’s family always played goofy poker games… One Eyed Jacks; Spit in the Ocean; etc. My current family loves board games: Clue; etc.

Have a game time. Have each one say what they are thankful for. Make up a story together. In the evening watch a movie together.

Buy some game boards coloring books crayons puzzles nd hot chocolate or whatever is ur fav. Dessert… Make it a family night, The only rule NO ELECTRONICS. U can also watch a movie stay up late and/or everyone sleeps in the living room like a big sleepover

We are keeping it just us three we decided to make a cheese lasagna with garlic cheese bread and fried mozzarella something different for Thanksgiving. For Christmas we are BBQ and keeping it small too

We will be also cooking our traditional dinner followed by A Christmas Carol!! No phones etc…

I asked my daughter and family not to come as we are seniors. My husband and I will still fix a nice thanksgiving dinner and watch some football. We usually play a game individually or together
Than have some pie.
We can visit the kids online. All in all it will be a nice Thanksgiving,

1 Like

Well, heres and idea everyone loves photos you can all share your family’s favorite ones with each other and if any one has a printer can make a old fashioned photo album either on paper or to a file and the share that… and tell stories about the people. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: group chat

before dinner have everyone write what they have to be thankful for and what does Thanksgiving mean to them. Then a funny joke or a story or anything they want.

Play board games or come up with your own minute to win it games that’s always fun

Board games and music playing in the background. Just be together…

We usually have 20 and we will still do 20.
My kids and the spouses with only 5 Gran-kids. We have the same 20 for Sunday lunch EVERY WEEK!!!
No need to change that !!
You think ???

1 Like

Nope not me…my son has COVID he is very sick…I go in tomorrow to be checked…better to stay away.

How about a family game day, or perhaps make seasonal cards that can be passed out with your local meals on wheels program?

My kids help me cook. We make our own gummies every year and make paper turkies

We did a thanksgiving with just the four of us… i made the usual things, we set out the china that we never use, and the good silver.
We talked and had fun.then we went for a walk and played frisbee golf… and played board/ card games!

You could also do a Christmas card making day and get them ready to send out to friends and family. Add a photo shoot and print some for int the card also

Sad… why wasn’t there shut downs from any other deadly virus and there have been many . We are being lied to and we are falling right into the lies. Wake up America !!!

1 Like

Relax on your screens together in the same room and watch Christmas movies. Don’t overwhelm yourself and just enjoy the day together and food.

My home the kids like the video games, but do a fun board game, Life,Monopoly, Pay Day, Trivia Pursuit

We are not haven’t Thanksgiving dinner with family, but not because of covid. The logistics of getting everyone together, in the place, same day is just too complicated.

1 Like

Have each member say what they are thankful for . Maybe tell the story of the pilgrims first thanksgiving story .

Make arrangements to FaceTime dessert with all family/friends possible.

We play games, such as, uno or bingo etc! I give little gifts from dollar tree

Have everyone help w dinner in some way ! And w clean up . Let everyone pick a game or something to do after dinner . Then a family movie later :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Have everyone help with the cooking and clean-up and play board games and talk to each other.

We always sit and play cards after dinner. And usually go see a movie

Our family plays games, board or card. Maybe get a new game to learn and play.

You’re not guaranteed another Thanksgiving. You should celebrate it like you normally do with precautions.

1 Like

The 2 Favorites: Appetizer: Jalapeno Pecan Cheddar cracker dip. Dinner: Sliced ham baked with cherry pie filling on top.

My older sister and her husband cook dinner on Thanksgiving. But this year she thought of something different. She asked who wanted dinner they did the cooking and you come pick it up and take it home

Make everyone write 7 reasons why they are thankful. Read them and guess who wrote them. Before and after dinner

Get a few family board games or puzzles. Do something as a family game

Well if you put up a christmas tree for Christmas…How about making Christmas oraments?

1 Like

Make it a no computer no phone no video game day get out some board games decorate some cookies.

1 Like

We play board games. There are a lot of really fun ones out there!

I am trying to find a game all my family members can play over zoom together

Have a board game night after the meal. Great way to spend family time not in front of a screen.

Game night? My husband, son and I love to play poker.

Normally a very big family celebration but this year it will a very small family celebration!

Games and a movie. Also a list from every person on what you are grateful for.