What can cause heavy periods?

So I’ve been bleeding for 10 days straight now but me thinking it was my period, it wasn’t too heavy and the flow has been pretty consistent ever since the start of it. Has anyone else had this kind of issue before? I’ve been looking up stuff on google but it hasn’t been too helpful.

3 Likes

I had a cyst on my ovaries. Have it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

I got regularly heavy periods in my adolescence and it ended up being because of PCOS (lots of cysts on my ovaries). Could be a one off. Aside from heavy menstrual bleeding, my other symptom was heightened testosterone levels and hypothyroidism. Best bet is to get your hormone levels checked.

1 Like

Endometriosis, Pelvic congestion syndrome, PCOS, hormonal imbalances… When in worry, get checked
I hope it eases soon!

Are you on birth control. Also get checked for cysts and fibroids

This was happening to me. I went in and got blood work done. My testosterone was very low (can dip before going into perimenopause, i am only 37 and this started a couple years ago). I would ask gor your hormome levels to be checked.

See the Gyn! I ended up having to have a hysterectomy at 31.

Go to the dr. Could be many things

2 Likes

After years of it I was finally diagnosed with: a condition that causes it to grow into the muscle wall of my uterus, making it heavy and affecting other organs and my pelvic floor. I bleed constantly and pass big clots, although I’ve always had a heavy/inconsistent period, that a one time righted itself. There is another condition where it grows on the outside of the uterus. Stress affects it for me. I looked for answers for years through testing and imagine only to come up healthy. This is the first time I’ve had something confirmed through imaging and labs…low iron. If you bleed so much for so many hours, the ER can give you a pill that will stop the bleeding, and then refer you to a ObGyn. I hope that is helpful in some way.

1 Like

Hormone levels can do that

1 Like

Best bet is to ask your Doctor!

Go get blood work when this happened to me I had a blood disorder ITP I eventually had my spleen removed and a hysterectomy after no other treatments worked

Get seem especially if you haven’t had a pap recently or have a history of irregular ones.

Hormonal imbalance. Can be corrected by diet.

So I was getting heavy periods for 2 weeks, then 2 weeks nothing, then 2 weeks heavy period. After seeing a urogynocologist I was diagnosed with fibroids in my uterus. I had 2 options……zap them with lasers or a hysterectomy. I went with a hysterectomy because I’m over 40 and not having any more children. That was 3 years ago and no regrets.

High estrogens can cause heavy bleeding, get a DUTCH test done

1 Like

Could be hormones, could be fibroids. Best to consult your physician

Go to your doctor. Could be hormones, a cyst or a tumor. Don’t put it off because bleeding for a long time can cause enema

1 Like

Not trying to freak you out or anything, but this happened to me last year. I bled for 15 days. On the 12th day, I started to feel really nauseous and went to the ER. Ended up being hospitalized for 6 days, and needing a blood transfusion.

Endometriosis,psoc , fibroids, your pill, stress , hormones loads of things but get checked all are painful/ damaging to mental health

I had this happen for over a month! Went to the er and everything. I was diagnosed with endometriosis, My Paragard iud had to come out and I had to be placed on bc pills. I recently had a week gap in taking them and it started again but after 4 weeks it stopped :woman_facepalming:t3: go see your doctor. It could be anything.

Sounds like adenomyosis, which is what I have.

Stress, natural body changes , your body is still healing from the baby. If you have any conditions like endometriosis or PCOS… that can do it too.

Happens to me all the time. But I’m pregnant with my second baby now but I remember with my first that I was exactly like what ur experiencing. It will go back to normal. Sometimes breastfeeding can make it heavier as well. And u are still healing, depending on how old baby is and how long ago ur delivery was

Takes up to 2 years for your hormones to fully regulate after you have a child. I would suspect that is why.

Estrogen dominance, get a DUTCH test done

It could be anything but I got to the point where I couldn’t wear tampons any more not even the smallest I used a menstural cup but it started to give me thrush every month so i went on the contraceptive injection and it stopped my periods all together and stopped all my period symptoms the best decision I’ve ever made

Idk how but I had a period twice in the same month. I also cramp a week before it starts

You have the period flu. Yes it’s a thing. I been having a heavy period that hasn’t stopped so I’m being referred back to the gynecologist this coming week. Last time he gave me a pill I don’t remember what it’s called cause it’s been 12 years since I’ve had this issue. Also stress can make a woman miss her period or it can make it heavier or longer than normal and sometimes shorter than normal too.

There’s only way for you to figure out what to do which is going to the doctor to make sure nothing is wrong. majority of time something isn’t wrong but could be fibroids, cysts, endometriosis, and sadly cervical/uterine cancer. It’s always best to get checked out just to be on the safe side.

It could be anything, really. It could just be heavy for you. It could be how your lining sets up. It could be, literally, anything. :pensive: Your best bet is to get checked out. You can call your health department and see if they have an OBGYN who can see you. Maybe get your hormone/vitamin levels checked. You’d be amazed at how your body reacts to being off.
I had horrible periods as a teen and once I started working out in the Army, I never had another cramp or heavy heavy period. I know we are all busy but making 20mins available for a workout, even at home, can help some women.
Try to eat healthy, stay hydrated and stay moving.
I was on the Depo shot and while it’s great having no period, there’s long term side effects that made me get off after a year. Birth control can be helpful but again, talk to your Dr about the risks of long term use. Talk to your Dr before you decide if that’s a good option for you.
The effects sound like low iron. Not a dr, not medical advice… Ensure you eat lots of green veggies. Foods and snacks rich in iron and magnessium. If you drink, I’d cut back or stop. If you smokey smoke, it’s been shown to cause periods to be wacky in some women. (Not a lot but it has been reported. Something like 5 in 125 women) Maybe stop for 3-6 months and see if it helps. It may or may not. Before you take a supplement, see your Dr. :two_hearts:

What does the doctor say?

I have fibroids and have terribly heavy and painful periods. Not a lot they can do bar get them removed. Maybe request a check up with the doctors xx

This is definitely a question for a medical professional and not Facebook.

Lots of things. Are you on birth control? Are your tubes tied? Could be endometriosis, ovarian cysts, anemia, premenopause, fibroid, PCOS…see your gyno asap.

Check with a gynecologist and ask for a scan.