What can I do about a dusty house?

Why is everything in my house so dusty? i clean all the time and i swear theres always a layer of dust on everything…what is something i can do to stop this from happening?

44 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What can I do about a dusty house?

Get your vents cleaned. It makes a huge difference

36 Likes

I have found turning a blind eye to these problems really helps - over it haha :joy:

58 Likes

Dust then go over all problem areas with a dryer sheet , I use the pet hair ones they are bigger.
Do a test treat some area with dryer sheet and others not and see what happens.

5 Likes

A humidifier made a difference to my house, kept the humidity at 60-70% and dust disappeared, and had clean the vents. We live in a new bungalow in Ireland and dust was a real problem

4 Likes

As a professional house cleaner , there is little to stop dust build up besides keeping up ! Daily

5 Likes

You may need to give your carpeting or furniture a deep cleaning. If either of them are older than 15 years you will need to replace or reupholster.

1 Like

Wipe surfaces daily and get rid of anything that doesn’t get used that dust will settle on, will cut down cleaning time dramatically.

1 Like

Turn of electrics that’s aren’t being used they attached dust, clean vents keep windows facing roads closed especially if you have dirt roads air purifier/ and or humidifier clean regularly that makes a big difference with forced air cleaning (carpets) seriously they are the main problem in house I switch to Leather couch also helped tremendously if you have dogs and shoes off at the door / coats the amount of dust was cut in under half

Wipe things down with dryer sheets!

1 Like

Check your furnace filter.

Ac and furnace filters. I can place a dryer sheet on air intake on top of filter and next day it’s full of dust and doghair.

Do you have wooden floors?

get your vents cleaned! it also might be where you live, one of closest friends growing up-her grandparents house was like that. they had a live in maid who dusted everyday, twice a day and it seemed like the dust was insane. but it was the area. it was the town talk how dusty everything was in town.

1 Like

Air purifier, steam cleaning, and dusting daily

6 Likes

Make sure you check all vents and fans

3 Likes

We start from dust and ends as dust. That’s why I don’t dust! It may be somebody I know :joy:

40 Likes

Ugh. Mine is always covered in dust too. I would suggest getting rid of any pets, children and spouses, which is what I’ve considered, but that’s apparently frowned upon. :roll_eyes:

Unfortunately, I do not have a solution. I just dust everything in my weekly deep cleaning.

74 Likes

I see a lot of people saying to get your vents cleaned. Do you mean the air ducts running through the home? My husband refuses to believe they should ever get dirty?! And that it’s a scam to pay someone to clean them.

21 Likes

Check you AC/furnace filter. It should be changed frequently. Also, if your ductwork is dirty that can cause a lot of dust in the house. You may need to have it cleaned.

8 Likes

Air purifiers with HEPA filters in each room. You would be shocked with the amount of things we breathe in when you go to change or clean the filter. Gross. I barely have to dust.

5 Likes

Change your hvac filter and have a full deep maintenance performed (clean blower wheel and evap coil). Against many people here…don’t believe in having your ducts cleaned. It typically stirs up more dust than it removes.

Note: I lived in a place where I could dust and an hour later you couldn’t tell (that was central CA). In Alaska, I dusted once a month and things were never dirty. Some places are just drier and have more dirt particles floating in the air than others.

4 Likes

I do not have forced air heat. Still have so much dust. It’s like, why.

2 Likes

I have friends that put vases of water around the house to repel dust and they swear by it.

3 Likes

A negative ionizer will make everything drop out of the air, but you will still have to clean surfaces. Especially good if you live with smokers.

how often do you change 0ut your air filter

We installed a whole house filter on our furnace. I rarely need to dust

2 Likes

Clean the vents check the filter that plays a big role in dust also having windows open will cause dust a lot too. I noticed that in my home

We bought an air purifier it’s helped so much

Make sure you go over everything at least once a week and get your fans and stuff as much as you can but an air purifier in your rooms will help also. Also, like everyone suggested getting your vents will help also. Make sure you change your air filter once a month also.

Get a better filter for your AC/hvack unit it’s worth paying a few extra bucks for…

1 Like

Get your vents cleaned, if you don’t have anything like that, invest in one of those air purifiers. They’re getting more popular so there’s tons of options, they can be pricey but I’ve noticed they go on sale Black Friday, and usually around tax return time.

Get your air ducts cleaned, but be careful who you hire to do the job!!! Many companies do a sub-standard job and I would absolutely consider that a scam!! A quality company will (generally) ONLY clean air ducts, not wash windows, clean carpets or install HVAC. Also, in order to do a quality job they MUST clean the system from the top AND the bottom and they MUST use a negative air machine that is brought into the home, not truck mounted!!!

2 Likes

Your air ducts need cleaning and then apply good quality filters

Does anyone smoke in your home? If so stop it now. If you live on a dirt road and leave windows open- or if your vents need cleaned.

Clean the air ducts with your vacume cleaner hose or get a professional to do it.

Check your AC filter

Pink Himalayan salt lamp

Get ur air vents cleaned

I get so much dust living on a farm but i do what i can

1 Like

Use vinegar and olive oil as your furniture polish and change your furnace filter. Possibly get your ducts cleaned

1 Like

If you live near a highway, busy road, gravel road, or dirt road then dust is inevitable.

3 Likes

Just let the kids do it​:rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Try new filters in your heating and cooling system.

1 Like

Change your furnace filter :rofl::woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging:

I used to always have a feather duvet and pillows . Those bring in huge amounts of dust once I stopped using them my dust went waaaaaay down . Also clean your vents and furnace filter and use a furniture polish when you dust . Maybe invest in a new vacuum as it might not be sucking as good as you think . Vacuum filters need to be cleaned often which I find most people don’t know how to do or don’t do .

1 Like

For a small step use dryer sheets for wiping after dusting it repels the dust . Scentsy makes counter cleaners that if are used regularly also repel it and there is less each time . I love mine .

Clean out air vents!!

Change furnace filter .open windows. Electronic devices create dust

This post is so comforting that it’s not just my house that is so effn dusty all. the. time. I’ve given up and just dust when people come over :joy:

3 Likes

Defiantly get the vents clean! Mamas please help me out by voting for me in a contest I’ll post the link

I recommend doing a little downsizing on stuff that collects dust like figurines, photo frames, little random stuff like that. That helped so much in my house!! :heart:

1 Like

Maybe you need to put a new filter in ur furnace.

If you have duct work/vents in the home they need to be cleaned.

Dust from the. Carpet???

It also matters where you live. We have fields and dirt roads around our neighborhood so I wld have to dust every surface at least once a day to keep it dust free. Hard pass. Lol. We did pay a ton to have all our vents cleaned out etc and it didn’t help w the dust. It did remove the smells that were left by previous owners that I couldn’t stand.

Change air filters monthly

Check your furnace filter and have your ducts cleaned

Get a good air purifier

Dust change furnace filter

Get your ductwork cleaned. We did and it makes a HUGE difference!!

Holly Julian my husband’s gma lives in LV and she says the same thing she’ll dust and an hour later it’s bk dirty

1 Like

I change our filter every 3-4 weeks (we have a dog that sheds a lot) and I have found dusting with a damp cloth(I spray Murphy multiuse spray) then wiping it down with dry helps . I clean a air b and b and it used to be dusty by time I left with a swiffer or just wet wet or just dry dusting this has worked the best .

HEPA filters, vacuum daily or every other day, air purifier…

dont clean your glasses so well nd you wont see the dust ,ok

1 Like

:rofl: dust happens :person_shrugging: this post is anxiety inducing lol ack! Can’t get away from the dust! Where does it come from? What causes it? Why can’t I get away from it? :rofl:

Change your furnace filter.

Get a high quality air purifier and make sure your A/C filters are changed regularly. I have a Green Air Pro 2 that I like. I’ve been using their products for years.

You could try having your ducts cleaned and make sure you check your AC / furnace filter and change it every 3 to 4 months but if you’ve got that much dust in your house on a daily basis and you don’t open your windows daily I would start with finding out about a professional duct cleaning it would help. The house I live in when I moved in had a lot of animals previously and we needed to clean out the ducts there was so much animal hair and dirt and dust inside the vents and the AC / furnace ducts it was ridiculous. Getting the ducts professionally cleaned help cut down a lot of the dust.

As a housekeeper currently, the best thing to do is change your filter on A/C, have ducts cleaned once or twice a yr, use pledge (or whatever wood polish you want I use Walmart brand or behold) on all your wood surfaces and swiffer or (store brand like great value) the dusters & floor mops. It makes a difference. But if you have kids & pets you’ll need to dust once a week regardless.