What can I do about breastfeeding when I need surgery?

Needing others experience, I’m going in to have to tubes taken out when my son is 6 weeks old. He is currently EBF. How does that work? Will I still be able to feed him after surgery? I’ve got some bottles in the freezer for when I’m in surgery but I’m worried about after. Or any other experiences y’all can share!

1 Like

Just pump enough for as long as you are on pain meds. I had 3 surgeries when my son was an infant. Also my mom came and stayed to help and my husband took time off of work to help. Good luck momma

You can tell them that you need meds that are safe to take while breastfeeding. They will change the prescription to set that. You may be just fine with Tylenol/Advil. Honestly you can still breastfeed and baby will be fine, just give info to Dr and they will go accordingly

1 Like

Put as many away as possible. Honestly i didnt even need the meds they gave me after mine and it was only 3 days worth anyway

What does the doctor say?

Keep pumping to get your supply up- you can’t breastfeed when you have anesthesia and pain meds in your system. I had to stop for a week or 2

Ask your dr. I’m not sure but directly after c section I was able to breastfeed within a couple hours. :thinking:

2 Likes

Doctor should be able to mark that in your charts and they’ll tell you what guidelines to follow, but it really should be fine.

I had my tubes taken out during my c section. Never was a problem for me. It’s a same day surgery and they use a spinal tap to numb you.

I had my gallbladder out when my son was 8 weeks old. I pumped up until they wheeled me into surgery. I brought a small cooler with me to store my milk in. As soon as the anesthesia wore off and the groggy feeling was gone, my doctor told me I could breastfeed. I did not take any of the prescribed pain medication as it was not safe to use while breastfeeding and instead alternated between Tylenol and ibuprofen.