What can I do for a picky 4 year old?

Does anyone have a picky 4yo? My son only eats a handful of things. We tried tonight to get him to eat what we had for dinner, and he ended up going to bed hungry. I hate doing that, but I want him to eat different things

1 Like

Just try introducing 1 new thing at a time?.. maybe 1 carrot stick to 1 nugget???

1 Like

Honestly Iā€™m going through it with all my kids. My son is 10 and has been this way since I can remember. I let them eat what they want as long as theyā€™re eating. But not sweets.

1 Like

Donā€™t buy the things he wants donā€™t even offer them.

1 Like

We always do a no thank you bite you tale one bite of something new then it you dobt like it you say no thank you.

1 Like

Apparently it can take 7 times for a child to realise it likes a new food

1 Like

My motto was you get what ya get and ya dont throw a fit. If you dobt like it you cha have a bowl of cereal or a peanut butter sand which. I dont cook special things we all have the same things or cereal or a sandwhich

Just keep putting it in front of him. My kids eat everything but i never gave them a choiceā€¦sit your ass there til you eat.

I wish I would have done what my parents did!!! You get served dinner and milk at the table. You sit there until you are done. If you choose not to eat, you get up from the dinner table and get ready for bed! I learned quickly to eat even though I was picky. When my daughter first started solids, I made sure she tried everything. Up until she was like 5 or 6, she ate what was in front of her. Then it became what was convenient. This time, it is dinner and you donā€™t like it, you choose to go to bed hungry. My teen loves sweets and I buy something small once a month. She loves fruits and veggies though and always has, so I will give her that much

1 bite to try. Then can have what they will eat. Persistence and patience
Taste buds change a lot when theyā€™re young so it can take a lot of tries before they learn to like new stuff.

Only put 1 table spoon of each food and donā€™t put no more than 3 items on plate at a time for he will not starve himself but you also have to cut back on liquids and junk snacks and do not make a big deal if he doesnā€™t eat it all for his stomach is the size of his little fist give him time soon he will be eating you out of house and home. We have a picky 4 year old also and this is what his pediatrician told us but the bigger deal you make it the less he will eat .and was told only leave out little health snacks that he can get to whenever he wants it. Good luck

1 Like

Let him choose between two new foods to try. Giving him a choice gives him some control of the situation.

1 Like

Please donā€™t force him to eat What he doesnā€™t like. That was what was done to me as a child and dinner time is the worst memory I have as a kid. And guess what Iā€™m still picky so it did nothing to help. Out of 3 kids I only passed it down to one of them. He has gotten alot better on his own the older he gets without me forcing him to either go to bed hungry or sit at the table for hours and hoursā€¦ He is 9 now and I no longer have to fight him to try things he wants to try things now. I think with my parents forcing me to eat what i didnā€™t like is the reason I vomit when i try new things now so I just donā€™t do it. Some kids are just picky Eaters. Forcing them to eat what they hate will only make them hate feeding time with you

My son is 14 and still is a picky eater, he never liked gerber food. I know people will judge me for this but I only make him food he likes and always have because 1. I never wanted him to go hungry and 2. Because if I donā€™t like something Iā€™m not going to eat it. If you feel he is eating healthy and he isnā€™t just eating chips and candy then feed him what he wants.

My daughter is nearly 5 and a nightmare eater since she was very young, however now she fully understands the importance of food, I put her one of everything (veg,fruit & salad wise) on her plate and she has to take one bite of everything. Sheā€™s now realised she likes carrots, peas, sweetcorn, cucumber, grapes, melon. She will only eat chicken and mince beef so I tend to pack the spag bol or lasagna with tons of veg. Try hiding things in the food he likes. If she eats enough then she is allowed a little treatā€¦ yoghurt, mini chocolate bar or a milkshake after 9/10 times she will try something new. Good luck and donā€™t feel badā€¦ you are definitely not alone. Xxx

Multi vitaminsā€¦ itā€™s just a faze I wouldnā€™t force it unless the things he choosing to eat are super unhealthy. Donā€™t stress about the little things soon he will be eating every damn thing in sight lol choose your battles!!

1 Like

I would rather my son eat SOMETHING than nothing :woman_facepalming:t2:

17 Likes

I always have made my kids try 1 bite of everything I make for dinner. If they like it WIN if they donā€™t at that age I had a back up for them. My youngest is 7 and I still make him try 1 bite

8 Likes

I highly recommend you look up ā€œkids eat in colorā€ and feed your kid what he will eat instead of feeding him nothing.

4 Likes

My son is level 1 autistic. Due to his sensory disorders, he wont eat what we eat 90% of the time. It best to introduce new foods but its still best they eat something rather than nothing. Make them try 2 bites of dinner then they get a treat of what they like

3 Likes

I have a nearly 3 year old and heā€™s very picky literally makes me take the batter off his chicken nuggets but I know heā€™ll eat them so I do itšŸ˜‚ I just leave him to eat what he wants in my head if he was hungry then heā€™d eatšŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļøx

1 Like

Sorry Iā€™m going to be the odd one out and say NOT to let your child run the place. Dont just give him whatever he wants. Keep up what youā€™re doing. Heā€™ll eat If hes hungry enough

38 Likes

Think of it as safe and unsafe foods, safe foods are foods you know heā€™ll eat, and unsafe are new/disliked foods. Put 2-3 safe foods on his plate and 1 unsafe food, they donā€™t have to eat it and itā€™s not a big deal if they donā€™t, but make a huge deal and praise them even if they only take one bite, I also mix snacks for my son, if he wants jelly beans for example, or chips, Iā€™ll put some in a bowl but also cut up carrots and put those in the bowl as well and mix them together

4 Likes

What I do is I take a food I KNOW my kiddo will eat and put on a plate with what Iā€™d like him to try. That way heā€™ll eat SOMETHING.

4 Likes

I was the picky eater as a child. Seriously, no veggies, no sauce, no fruit. My parents tried the whole eat what I make or be hungry thing, but that just made me not want to try new things even more.
Get some pedisure, put some things you know he will eat and a thing he should try.

Im 26, and I still hate all veggies, fruits, and all sauces. I have special vitamins i take to give myself nutrients.

2 Likes

I spent a lot of time trying to force my son to eat what we ate. Turned out he had Aspergers all that time and certain textures of food made him gag. I still feel guilt about that. Donā€™t force him. If he doesnā€™t want the food because he genuinely doesnā€™t want it donā€™t force it.

5 Likes

My daughter started being a pretty picky eater at that age, The less I forced it the more willing she was to try new foods. I also had her start helping me prep/cook meals (seeing/knowing what was in it really helped) sheā€™s now 9 and knows I have to have a special diet and if she doesnā€™t like whatā€™s for dinner she can make something else or if I know itā€™s something she reaaaallly doesnā€™t like (tried multiple times) Iā€™ll make her something special :woman_shrugging:t2: I went to bed hungry a lot as a child and would rather her eat be healthy and grow

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had many people say different things over the years, including my firsts (previous) doctor saying, ā€œdonā€™t substitute the good for the bad, she has enough weight that if she doesnā€™t eat, sheā€™ll be fineā€. (Even after telling of food sensitivites)

Iā€™ve refused to ever starve my children.

Theyā€™re somewhat picky. I donā€™t care. They usually grow out of it with curiosity for other foods.

2 Likes

No. Iā€™m not putting my kid to bed hungry because he didnā€™t eat what I wanted him to eat. Some kids have food aversion disorders and sometimes they resolve over time and sometimes they donā€™t.
And some parents cause their kids to have eating disorders by making eating into a fight. Either way, donā€™t put your kid to bed hungry. Thatā€™s messed up.

5 Likes

Donā€™t force them!! Theyā€™ll try new things when their ready to. As long as their eating something thatā€™s the main thing. Kids go through stages of only eating certain things theyā€™ll grow out of it.

3 Likes

My son is 5 and has a sensory disorder. Very picky eater. However, I make him take 2 bites of whatever Iā€™m having. If he likes it, cool. If he doesnā€™t, Iā€™ll make him what he wants. They will eventually be curious to try new things on their own and slowly eat what youā€™ve already been making.

My son loves smoothies so I sneak the fruits and veggies that way.

3 Likes

Iā€™m on a page called ā€˜parenting picky eatersā€™ which I get lots of information off.

Well first off donā€™t force him to go without food. That could be considered neglectā€¦ secondly, have you thought about WHY he only eats those certain foods? Is he odd about textures of things? Do certain things besides food upset him? Figure out if there is actually a pattern somewhere that you didnā€™t see or think of at first. My 3 year old has sensory issues to the point heā€™s been pretty much only eating pretzels all day long. Could be he likes how they feel crunching in his mouth. Could be the flavor. It could be just the texture of the salt on the pretzels. Who knows at this point. But heā€™s eating something right now and I couldnā€™t be happier. Heā€™s gone days without an actual meal because his issues were on haywire. Itā€™s just how it is for us and we do our best to make it easier on everyone for him. Now Iā€™ve gotten frustrated and put him down for a nap when he wonā€™t eat but after an hour heā€™s calm enough to try again and usually does eat. It might be a slice of turkey or ham. Maybe a chicken nugget. Handful of pumpkin seeds one at a time of course. Could be a bag of chips or pretzels. Sometimes itā€™s even soup! My point is if you just take a breath and relax about it and just do what has proven to work for you guys it can help. Not feeding a child because they refuse to eat just reinforces not wanting to eat at all because you already know youā€™re not going to eat. That leads to a lot of mental health problems and eating disorders over time. So what if all he has is a single candy bar all day? At least he ate something and thatā€™s better than nothing at all and one less thing to worry about with him. I have enough on plate as it is.

2 Likes

Make them try a bite and then make a sandwich maybe, not their favorite food as a back up but something so they eat. That way they donā€™t say they donā€™t like it just to get their favorite meal in place of.

1 Like

I used to let my son watch cooking videos on you tube and he would tell me what he wanted to try and what looked yucky and i would let him help me prepare It got him to try some new stuff made it sort of like a new adventure and kids are also very sensitive to smell and textures of food keep that in mind.

Asking them how much they would like. They have to have some but they get to choose how much. I literally give them a bean or 3 for example; until their taste changes.

We made it a game. He has to try one bite and give it a thumbs up or thumbs down. Majority of the time he ends up liking it. :slightly_smiling_face: Make a little sticker chart when he tries new foods he gets a sticker and you set the number of tries for a prize.

3 Likes

I always make one thing I know my picky eater will eat. Also I have him take a ā€œno thank you biteā€ he has has to try one bite of everything. I donā€™t want him going to bed hungry so I always include that one thing he will eat.

My son is 5 and has a sensory disorder. He is fairly picky. He used to be so picky he would only eat 5 things. Chicken nuggets, fries, oranges, spaghetti and Mac and cheese. It was so extreme that he would immediately gag and sometimes actually throw up just from either smelling something he didnā€™t like, or having it near his tongue.

Now, he eats almost as much as my very adventurous 6 year old eats.

I slowly introduced everything to him. On his dinner plate I would give him things he liked, things he sort of liked (but wouldnā€™t gag on immediately) and a thing he hated. But Iā€™d keep introducing it and every time he either had to lick it, take a bite of it (even if he couldnā€™t swallow), or put it in his mouth. Eventually after months of doing this with numerous foods he started to forget he didnā€™t like them and just ate them as soon as I put the plate down. This has been 4 year process.

1 Like

With my picky one I would put some veggies nearly liquify them and mix them in with things they did like, a little at a time more and more until they got used to the flavor. I also took a small spoon and dished up a small spoon full of each item everybody else had, she was allowed have what she liked once she had the small amount of what she did not want to eat. She also had a problem with textures, so some foods like peas I did not mind making her green beans instead, which was her favorite veggie.

Sending your 4 year old to bed hungry is wrong on so many levels. I would never send my son to be hungry. He is a very picky eater and while I make me and his dad supper I cook whatever he wants to eat. Its not hard to do. His dr told me to let him eat what he wants as long as heā€™s eating and to never send them to bed hungry. His dr also advised me to give him vitamins to give him nutrients he wasnā€™t getting because of his pickiness. That will cause issues with them in the future. My son is 5 and is starting to help out with cooking and he sometimes acts like he wants to try new foods but then doesnā€™t. He loves chicken fries, so I will cut up chicken in the shape of his fries and batter them like his chicken fries and he will eat them like that. Sending your 4 year old to bed hungry is absolutely wrong and isnā€™t right. How would you feel if you were 4 years old again and was sent to bed starving? Makes them have trust issues. There are other ways around his pickiness without making him starve, thats heartless in my opinion.

4 Likes

I will not force my child to eat anything she doesnā€™t like. But Iā€™m also not gonna offer something I know she doesnā€™t like. But when a kid will eat the same type of food and then all the sudden decide they donā€™t like it anymore Iā€™m not gonna cater to them. Four year old can also hate to go to bedā€¦but sleep is a necessity. They will eat when theyā€™re hungryā€¦especially when they find out itā€™s not disgusting hahaha

1 Like

Cheese powder for popcorn. We did that for our kids when they were young and picky. Put the powder on to give it a bit of flavor and they loved it. Now they will eat unseasoned broccoli with ease.

I left my 3yr old eat off my plate when I know itā€™s things she normally wonā€™t eat on her own. A good chunk of the time it works.

Idk but in my opinion this is just bad habits, autism or sensory issues or not. Iā€™ve given my kids plain fruits and veggies and plain meats since 6 months of age. I also ate healthy foods no processed foods while pregnant and after while breastfeeding. I never gave sweets or processed foods including soda till my babies developed a taste for all things heathy. My 4 and 5 year old will eat any veggie steamed and any meet. The one thing they wonā€™t eat it fast food exception french fries.

2 Likes

My daughter was picky and slowly I got her into preparing the meals with me and she started to like the idea of eating something she made. I would let her pick something new and let her make it and it worked with her.

1 Like

My son is 13 (almost) and he canā€™t stand cooked broccoli but eats it raw certain pasta like lasagna or thick spaghetti he wonā€™t eat but he will eat thin spaghetti or elbows hates macaroni and cheese itā€™s all about taste and texture for him

1 Like

I hope you teach him to eat different foods, because I have a 68 year old who is so darn picky about his foodā€¦I ā€œblessā€ his mother daily for giving in to him as a child. It makes cooking and grocery shopping very difficult

1 Like

I whole heartedly agree with Anna Cline

I let them eat what they want after 5 you starve :rofl:

2 Likes

I would rather my child eat then worry about what they are eating. Try adding smoothies and multivitamins. They will eat more one day.

4 Likes

U can add vitamin drops etc ā€¦but I would never ever let mine go hungry .

4 Likes

I do not and have never made my daughter anything else to eat besides what I eat. When I say what I eat, it is because my husband and I have very different tastes when it comes to good. He likes spicey anything while I do, so sheā€™s always tried whatever I eat. If she doesnā€™t eat with us, she then goes to her room, alone until weā€™re done eating. If she is hungry enough, she will at least taste it. I always make her taste it. Doesnā€™t mean she needs to eat it all, just a bite.

2 Likes

I always did ā€œNo thank youā€ bites.
My kids had to try a bite.
Then I would ask them, ā€œwould you like some more?ā€
They were then allowed to say, ā€œNo thank youā€ or ā€œyesā€.
It took a few times, but both of my kids eat a lot of things that they ā€œdidnā€™t likeā€.

2 Likes

My daughter let the picky eater to pick out things when they went grocery shopping. He would talk about it where it came from and how it grew and how it tasted so he was all eager to try it., after awhile he was into trying new things. I wanted my children to try one bite because it might be like candy you never know.

1 Like

I refuse to be a short order cook. I will ask everyone on Saturday before grocery shopping what they would like. We meal plan by the day and snacks. We also sneak veggies in things, mac and cheese I add pureed squash about a serving, and they never bn know. We make homemade nuggets batter is egg mixed with squash etc. And baked or fried. They dont get to just decide they dont want something and throw a fit. The idea is to have things you know they eat. Mac and cheese is served 6 to 7 days a week here. But its different kinds and extras are added to it, squash, cauliflower etc. Six kids everyone likes different things. My girls are the pickiest. My 12 year old will say I hate that, its gross when she eat 3 bowls the week before. Hell no, sit down and eat. Kids will throw fits because they want the junk. Will swear they donā€™t like something just for the nuggets or hotdogs. I work with special needs kids and children. You have to enforce rules and make them try it. A student of mine is Autistic, he would eat a thing. Nuggets 4 times a day. He now eats a large assortment, we played a games called Try This. He got half a nugget for every 3 new foods he tried. Texture is an issue but he likes some things so much he eats them anyway. Be consistent.

12 Likes

We had a similar problem with our toddler. When it came to dinner my son (about 18mo at the time) wouldnā€™t eat anything. Not things he liked, just nothing at dinner. Heā€™d throw a fit and starve himself. We finally started building in a bedtime snack (a cup of milk he gets when we read his bedtime story). He gets it every night regardless of behavior and so if he eats nothing at dinner he doesnā€™t starve. Now that heā€™s almost 2.5yo he will eat a good bit at dinner.
When it comes to trying new things, I always do it when I know there is something he likes for dinner. I give him everything (new and favorite) and when heā€™s finished his favorite and asks for more he can only have more if he tries the new thing. Just a bite. More often than not it works (French fries are a great motivator).

Baring any medical issues I would say s/he can sit in front of their plate until they get hungry enough to eat. I didnt have the time to be a short order cook nor did I want to eat mac n cheese and hotdogs 7 days a week. My daughter was eating sushi by the time she was 6 and now at 14 (almost 15) she has a wide range of foods (PhĆ³ to Mexican to Thai and more!) that she loves to eat. People seem to be constantly amazed at her palette

1 Like

I learned my child is on the autism spectrum at 3 yrs old. Heā€™s ridiculously picky. Itā€™s a palette issue.
Never send a child to bed hungry. Thatā€™s just awful.

5 Likes

Give him what he likes. He will grow out of it. Donā€™t let him go to bed hungry!

9 Likes

Some people just canā€™t eat certain things. As a life long picky eater I can assure you that going to bed hungry or withholding desert or forcing a child to sit and eat it all does not work and causes a great amount of stress to the child. Food should not be used as motivation or punishment.

10 Likes

Encourage him to try different things but I donā€™t believe in forcing children. As an adult I donā€™t eat something I donā€™t like. Offer options and praise new choices. Donā€™t put him to bed hungry

4 Likes

Who lets a 4 yr old go to bed hungry give him something he likes then! Going hungry doesnt teach anything it causes trauma thats it.

9 Likes

My 3 yr old is like this. To be honest Iā€™m not sure the kid even feels hunger. I try to give him a variety of food n let him eat what he will which isnā€™t a lot. I do give him a carnation good start drink once a day to make sure heā€™s getting some good nutrition. Just keep trying n they do eventually eat.

Ok but sometimes they just want what they want. My son said he wouldnt eat dinner so I said ā€˜do a no thank you biteā€™. He did and then I asked him to take a few more no thank you bites. Then when he started being bratty I said ā€˜youā€™re excused. No problem. But you wont get dessert and you will go to bed hungryā€™. Wasnt mad or threatening. And oh lookā€¦he polished off his plate

3 Likes

Try pairing new food with something he loves. One bite of new food then one bite of loved food. I use chocolate pudding for my 3 year old. It takes some time but at least heā€™ll be trying new things out hopefully discovering he really likes a lot of different foods

My 3 yr old has sensory issues, she doesnā€™t like certain clothes, her pants by her heel, socks have to be perfect, etc. she doesnā€™t like the textures of certain foods she will try them but usually doesnā€™t like them. It could be that!

1 Like

When my son was able to starting eating solids we stuck with pured veggies baby food and tried all kinds of different ones. Once he got old enough to eat actual solid food and could swallow and everythingā€¦ I basically gave him everything I cooked for dinner and he still eats everything, the 1 thing he eats the most is fruit, he loves fresh fruit and even the fruit cups(only 100 juice no syrup). But I started with mashed potatoes and cream corn, mix the juice if the cream corn to soften up the taters to make them easy swallow for a baby instead of thick, that way he got 2 flavors in 1 instead of just over flowing them with milk, and then just starting cutting up everything I made into tiny bites and he eats everything to this day that ti make, but if itā€™s like mac and cheese or beans, I have to give him little of that and more of everything else or else heā€™ll just sit there and eat just that.

1 Like

I would never send either of my littles to bed hungry. I allow them to choose what they want for dinnerā€¦if I end up tossing some microwave pancakes and spaghettios on the table itā€™s not a huge deal and theyā€™ve eaten while me and my husband eat regular dinnerā€¦we all sit together at the tableā€¦I was a picky eater all growing up and still am and was forced to eat everything I hated. I had a very miserable childhood and now have major issues with food. The list of what I wonā€™t eat is way longer than what I will eat.

1 Like

Put the new foods with something he likes, that way he isnā€™t going to bed hungry.
If I want my kids to try something different I always serve it to the side of a food I know they will eat.

The thing for me isā€¦ I donā€™t eat foods I donā€™t like, so I wonā€™t force them to eat things they donā€™t like and not offer an alternative.

2 Likes

Just give him what he likes to eat. Make him something separate. Definitely better than to go to bed hungry

If you think thatā€™s disciplining him and Iā€™m not implying anything, but, if you continue to do that itā€™s considered child abuse.

3 Likes

My kid was same way. Dr said as long as shes eating its fine. Never let kid go hungry

3 Likes

If itā€™s behavioral, seek therapy. If itā€™s because they like what they like, feed them and move on.

1 Like

I never agree with sending any child to that hungry! you encourage them to eat different things and what you had for dinner yes. But Iā€™ve been taking care of children since I was nine years old and thatā€™s been for 22 years now and Iā€™ve never seen anybody I know send their kids to bed hungry. Even if itā€™s because they didnā€™t like what they had for dinner. You know my dad would eat gizzards and liver. I mean do you think my mom and I ate that?? No we did not. And no we would not and yes she always made us a separate dinner. You donā€™t ever force a child like that. SMH! Bless his heart!!! My daughter and I had deviled eggs at nearly 11 tonight lol just mommy/ daughter memories, and of course our bellies wasnā€™t hungry lol

Encourage him eating different things but never let a child go to bed hungryā€¦ I could never do that to minešŸ„ŗ

I try to mix some foods together sometimes. Peas in mac n cheese, mashed potatoes with chicken chunks, mixed veggies. My mom used to tell my sister that turkey was chicken because she refused to try it and she loved it. Also try taking him on a shopping trip and ask him to pick 1 thing new to try every week.

5 Likes

I found platters were good. Put a little bit of different foods on. Most of the time it mostly all gets eaten.

1 Like

If he goes to bed hungry enough times he will cut his nonsense. He wonā€™t starve.

1 Like

I really wish these women would stop shaming you for letting him go to bed hungry. Heā€™s a child. A four year old who thinks he can challenge his parents and dictate his dinner. We are adults and we have to answer to others and follow instructions. The same goes for him. He can absolutely say mommy I donā€™t really like this. Mommy I donā€™t want this. But not refuse to eat. Her question was how can she get him to try other things. Not what do you think about me sending him to bed hungry this ONE time. Some of you are enablers.

12 Likes

Start small - do them a meal they like but add in something they would normally turn down even if it is just a mouthful
Tell them once they eat that mouthful they can enjoy the rest of their dinner

This is how I got all of my 3 to eat a wider selection of food

Start with a teaspoon of veg or whatever it is you want them to eat then build up to a larger amount until they are eating the whole meal

X rewards for them trying especially at that young age x

Donā€™t make a huge deal out of it. Itā€™s not about what he likes right now, itā€™s about him exploring his choices. This is one of those ā€œpick your battleā€ things. If your always upset and giving negative attention to his decision to not eat whatā€™s given- heā€™s a kid he will keep doing it. Kids like to get good attention of course- but they enjoy the reaction and control over mealtime.
Simply say this is what weā€™re eating, if he doesnt eat, leave it be until your done with your meal. Donā€™t pay attention to it. Once your done with your meal you could bring up again something like, your really not going to try it? If not, go in the kitchen with and prepare something he picks. If he feels like he has choices it will make mealtimes smoother.
This is something that has a step process to correct, and a lot of patience.
You can also have him help you pick out something with you to make for dinner. This has worked with mine many times.
But at the end of the day, itā€™s not a huge deal as long as lo eats. He will grow out of it. Heā€™s looking to you to guide him on his choices.

I have a very picky 9 year old. I have him at least try the food. Heā€™ll swear he doesnā€™t like something heā€™s never tasted :laughing: if he makes a good attempt to try it and still doesnā€™t like it, then I get him something else. That was one thing I hated growing up was being forced to eat stuff I didnā€™t like!!

I refuse to eat fresh tomato now but can eat it from the tin mixed with mince and pasta etc, I use to hate broccoli etc and now love it! What they donā€™t like today may be their favourite food in a couple months/years! Let them taste and if they donā€™t like it then maybe try again in a little while!
My son is 6 months and tends to like anything we offer him apart from banana and mango purĆ©eā€‹:woman_facepalming:t4::rofl: but loves the banana custard! Loves fresh strawberries and apple and banana in his super tots first taste feeder!
But in saying that, by the time heā€™s 1 he may not like it!

Following as my 3 years old is the same way!! If my child refused to try an eat what we have for mealsā€¦ he gets two choices that I kno he always eatsā€¦ PB&J sandwich or cerealā€¦ I keep hearing that if your child will only eat a few choices keep letting them eat it! Better then nothing!! Good luck momma!

A lot of children have problems with food. Sometimes its texture , sometimes its autism. Never put your kid to bed hungry. Your just making the problem worse.

3 Likes

Iā€™m really lucky that my kids are good eaters. But with that said, I would try to get your son to eat what youā€™re eating. He doesnā€™t have to eat a whole plate but he has to try it. If he doesnā€™t like it he can have something simple like yogurt, cereal, peanut butter sandwich, etcā€¦ But donā€™t drive yourself crazy making a second meal.

21 Likes

He may have an eating disorder. My youngest who is 9yrs old has what is referred to as ARFID. Itā€™s more than picky eating. It actually has to do with anxiety and fears surrounding food. When he was a toddler, he would have actual panic attacks and hyperventilate. Please look into ARFID or SED before sending child to bed hungry

3 Likes

I never made my kids eat what they didnā€™t want.
I even went as far as making them separate dinners if they wouldnā€™t like what I made.
I was forced to eat certain foods as a kid. I hated it. And still hate those foods now.

64 Likes

Our rule, and let me tell you it was very difficult to start, one bite of everything on the table. Sometimes i let them get away with half a bite. My youngest would not eat anything but bbq chicken. It was awful. It took 2 years to get to the point there is not a big argument, but now 6 years later, he will try everything. He will even eat broccoli. One day we had salads and he told me at that time he did not eat grass, the next day we had broccoli. His comment, i will never forget, was ā€œ i told you yesterday i would not eat grass, so now you give me trees. I will not eat trees!ā€ I think all kids go through this stage, as they say, this too shall passšŸ˜€

28 Likes

Kids will be kids. All these technicalities and implications of some sort of medical issue or deep embedded explanations as to a reason why are a bit much. Possible, yes, but a stretch. Again, all kids are different. Alternatives and hiding healthy food has worked for me. For instance, my son wonā€™t eat eggs. But when I make a homemade chicken fried rice he will and doesnā€™t even know. Iā€™ve snuck veggies in beef burgers. Cooked down first so itā€™s unnoticed. My daughter wonā€™t drink cows milk, but will eat all kinds of cheese and yogurts so she gets a good source of calcium that way. In my opinion, itā€™s about NOT forcing it. But just finding another avenue. So long as your child is actually FED, thatā€™s what matters. There are so many different ways to substitute nutrients that children are missing that Iā€™d avoid the battle and try and find different ways to include foods in the meantime/different ways to compromise on getting your child to at least try what he/she claims to not want or like.

2 Likes

Every child Iā€™ve known goes through this. Heā€™ll start trying and eating different things, just give him time and let him eat what he wants for now. Sometimes itā€™s a week, sometimes itā€™s a few months but his body will eventually tell him to eat what he needs.

3 Likes

As long as the kid is healthy and eating what he likes, leave it alone. It may take years, but eventually heā€™ll expand. Talk to your pediatrician, get his advice.

18 Likes

Maybe make dinner and add one thing he likes that way you donā€™t have to cook two different meals and encourage him to to try the other foods but if not he will have what he likes out of dinner!

1 Like

Kids should not go to bed hungry. Iā€™m not saying you canā€™t discipline your kid the way you see fit. However, your childā€™s brain is growing and they need protein and glucose to help brain growth. I was a texture eater. Iā€™ve grown out of it. My daughter is still a texture eater. People who arenā€™t texture eaters will never understand. My pedi told us if our kid wanted to eat chicken nuggets every day, fine.

26 Likes

Food should not be a punishment. There are foods that you donā€™t like. If he refuses to even try it then maybe try time out our taking toys away. But donā€™t use hunger as a punishment

I always have my kids try one bite of it, if they donā€™t like we make a PBJ or something else quick. I will not make a complete different meal just for them but I also wonā€™t make them go to bed hungryā€¦my favorite so far is my 5 yr old trying to convince us she likes saurkrauet just because her dad didā€¦her face was priceless! She even said its so yummy mommy with a grimace on her face lol.

1 Like

Keep an eye out for other signs of Aspergers. My son was a very picky eater. There were only about 3 or 4 things he would eat. Later he was diagnosed with Aspergers and I found out his eating issue(s) was a symptom.

3 Likes

If my son truly doesnā€™t like it I will offer something else. If he refuses to even try it then no he can go to bed hungry because he refused to touch his dinner. A lot of times if I know Iā€™m making something he wonā€™t eat or dinner will be extremely late then I will make him something else. I do give him the options to pick what we are having for dinner and this has helped with him eating more.

7 Likes

Lord this was me when my lil one was 3 she starved herself for 4 days because I refused to feed her oreos breakfast lunch and dinner lol so I called pediatrician and he was like let her starve lol :laughing: she will eat whatever you put in front of her if she actually hungryā€¦ lol their bodies are changing and sometimes they just arenā€™t hungry. I suggest tough love lol and pediasure for kids so child isnā€™t actually starving lol

9 Likes

Donā€™t make mealtime a battle. If he is healthy fix at least 1 food he likes for each meal and ask him to try 1 to 3 bites of another thing at the table. If he wonā€™t say, " well it seems you donā€™t want to try a new thing tonight" and let it go. Tell him that tastes change so foods he donā€™t like now, he may like when he is older, but donā€™t force or let others to force him. He will eat different foods when he is older, if you keep saying he may like more. My son is in his 50s and still wonā€™t eat green vegetables alone. He can eat some if we have a stew or some food with them in it. I never noticed because I grew up with the food police who made us eat what he decided we should so the meals were a battleground every day. I didnā€™t do that with my kids. When they were old enough they could fix something they liked if no food on the table was what they liked but they had to clean up after themselves.

10 Likes