What can I do for chicken pox?

Looking for tips to help with chicken pox? My daughter just caught them at nursery?

41 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What can I do for chicken pox? - Mamas Uncut

I think of what it’s called maybe another momma will remember the name, but it’s pink and you put it on for itching. Also oatmeal bathes help. Good luck momma :heart:

1 Like

Wow didn’t know kids still still caught chicken pox, my mom used to rub calamine lotion on us to stop the itch.

6 Likes

Calamine lotion… Its pink

1 Like

Oatmeal bath
Calamine lotion

I hope she doesn’t get them too bad. I had real bad when I was in kindergarten or 1st to the point they got inside of my body (throat, etc)

1 Like

Calamine, oatmeal baths and rest. Hopefully that will keep the itching away.

1 Like

You can also get the clear it’s less messy

1 Like

Take her to the Dr to confirm. Babies need monitoring for complications.

1 Like

Calamine lotion and quarantine until it’s gone.

1 Like

Benadryl has a clear lotion just like calamine lotion

Oatmeal baths, calamine lotion, also maybe the like hand mittens so she’s not scratching.

1 Like

Mittens, to stop the scratching.

My oldest had varicella (chicken pox), but my younger ones had the vaccine and now they won’t get it or the shingles later in life. Anyway, I used oatmeal baths and calamine lotion.

2 Likes

Oatmeal bath, calamine, if they’re old enough give em a bowl of cornstarch and a powder puff. Have em apply the starch via puff whenever they feel itchy

1 Like

You didn’t get her vaccinated against chicken pox before getting into the nursery?

7 Likes

Lasts about 2 weeks, I think its Contagious while have sores,

Is that the one you can only get once.

You can get it more than once but it is unusual. Usually it happens when first case is mild.

2 Likes

Oatmeal bath and calamine lotion is all you can really do until it passes.

3 Likes

Virosoothe do not give ibuprofen only calpol x

4 Likes

Calamine, DO NOT GIVE NUROFEN

1 Like

I would check into getting her vaccinated when she gets better. I think she could get them again and shingles later in life.:sob:

6 Likes

Put some Calamine lotion on it

1 Like

You can call me crazy, but honey nut Cherrios crush them up. Add a little water to make it a paste and put it on. Honey is a natural antibiotic for things like that, the oats stop the itch and help dry it up. And if you have dogs they can clean up the mess lol.

3 Likes

Calimine lotion for the irritation , panadol for the temp
She is inflectious for 7 to ten days from when she got the spots

1 Like

Mine found calamine more itchy than chicken pox. We found being tucked up watching DVDs whilst having drinks through a straw the best cure.

Call pediatrician and I recommend seeing if there’s anything you can you do for her immune system :heart: definitely oatmeal baths and calamine lotion but the pediatrician should be able to prescribe something for it if I’m not mistaken there might be something the doctor can do about the itching more than over the counter medication if your child is old enough

1 Like

I had chicken pox as a child…have had Shingles outbreaks three times …I receive shots to prevent it and still have out breaks…Everyones tolerance is very different…The needle doesnt meen you will never get these things…sorry

4 Likes

Keep her hands busy to keep her from scratching. Mittens if you can’t.

Try some calamine lotion.
If that doesn’t help at all… maybe ask her doc about a low dose of an allergy med to help with the itching.

Well I’m an old one so when I had them as a kid, mom kept me in bed low light, and put socks on my hands so wouldn’t scratch and leave scars. Supposedly bright light, watching TV they can cause eye damage, might be old wives tale but I’d check. Calmed you keep them less itching.

1 Like

Calamine lotion or spray.

3 Likes

I have never had or known anyone who has gotten chicken pox (I was vaccinated). I do know that scratching will cause scars and chicken pox in a adult can be serious. Oatmeal baths are good for the itching too!

So trippy that chicken pox is still a thing

3 Likes

Oatmeal baths to help with itching and dry them out

Calamine lotion helps with itchy

1 Like

When my daughter had them,I put baby powder on them with a powder puff,gave Benadryl for inching

1 Like

Antihistamine from a chemist would help with the itchiness.

2 Likes

Calamine lotion, calpol - but no nurofen! Antihistamines help with itching xx

1 Like

Varicella vaccine is highly effective. Chickenpox are not harmless.There’s no reason not to get it.

4 Likes

Oatmeal paste, leave on for a few. It helped my boys better than anything

1 Like

When my daughter had chicken pox (and yes she is vaccinated, and no there is not anything wrong with her immune system) I put calahist on her and that helped a lot. It is like a calamine lotion with an antihistamine in it so it helped dry out the pox spots. Also push fluids and rest.

1 Like

People act as if chicken pox is horrible. It’ll just make the little one itchy. Get some calamine lotion or anti itch cream and lather her up. Tell her to do her best not to itch. She’ll be perfectly fine (if she’s a healthy child) in a few days.

3 Likes

Absolutely do not give aspirin or anything with aspirin in it, including baby aspirin. This should be well known by now. For those that don’t know, this exact combo (chicken pox +aspirin) caused some fatalities and research due to this is why aspirin is no longer given to children.

2 Likes

Calamine lotion
I remember socks on hands so we wouldn’t scratch :joy::joy:

1 Like

Oatmeal baths and calamine lotion

3 Likes

Chamomile and oatmeal bath cool temp, cool compresses and calamine lotion (i prefer the spray)

1 Like

Advice I was given when my children had it was too keep them warm so that the spots stay out, apparently being cold causes the spots to stay in which can make them feel poorly and take longer to clear up.

1 Like

My children all got it when the boys were in gradeschool…daughter was a toddler in diapers…no big deal…lotion to prevent itching and scratching. The harder the reaction the better immunity. I never had any vaccines and was told it could be “very sick”…I got one bleb and a headache…no biggie!

1 Like

Warm oatmeal baths, calcimine lotion. Keep her quietish and whatever the doctor recommends

2 Likes

Oatmeal bath and paste. Calamine lotion and aloe gel

Benadryl and oatmeal baths alot …

Also keep the fever down

They are itchy. I had them. Calamine lotion and oatmeal baths, Aveeno.

1 Like

aveeno bath what i used on my kids when they were little and my husband he got them when the kids all got them it was fun ! don’t let her itch they scare ! good luck !

Head and shoulders in a bath wash down and u will see the itch will stop and they will die off

I remember taking oatmeal baths and slathered in calamine lotion when I got it in 3rd grade

Cover hands with socks and ride it out,nothing much really works

1 Like

Calamine lotion or anything to help with itching Aveeno bath works also

1 Like

I remember backing soda baths.

2 Likes

Benydrl for itching. No playing or running it makes them break out more . Dim lit room lots of rest

Don’t give her aspirin. Call your doctor - - and ask questions.

I remember family friend bringing me an aloe plant as a kid when I had them to help with the itching.

As young as she is, you shouldn’t have to do anything.

1 Like

Keep her away from pregnant women.

I had 5 kids 4 and under with chicken pox at the same time. Oatmeal baths to play in. I filled up a baby pool for them. They played for hours. Gave them Benadryl for itching and had calamine lotion applied constantly when they weren’t in the water. It’s a tough go in the beginning, but it gets easier

1 Like

Calamine lotion
Benadryl

Allergy formula for itchiness, calamine lotion, and tylenol…NO ASPIRIN. Aspirin will make it worse causing the blisters to grow inwards rather than out, causing serious issues. I never learned from experience myself, but I my doctor has always stressed this to me since day 1 of having children

Caladryl or calamine. They make clear types now. Keep them very clean and dry daily. Oatmeal baths. Do stuff to keep the mind busy if your able, lots of distractions

Het some aveeno colloidal oatmeal packs and give put in bath give a good soak and put calamine on the spots

aveeno bath 4 itching.

Try not to let her pick at the scabs. I still have a few scars on my face from when I was a toddler.

2 Likes

Put red on her and don’t let her outside and make sure she doesn’t touch them

Vaseline on them so when she can’t scratch them and scar.

Make sure she doesn’t scratch. They leave pocket marks. Make her wear gloves and use anti itch cream

Calamine lotion, do not pop them

1 Like

Put Betadine liquid on the sores stops itching and helps with scaring

Camillie lotion works a treat my 2 year old just had chicken pox and it helped dry the spots out quickly and helped the itching and keep your child away from anyone pregnant while there is still heads on the spots as its contagious while the heads are on the spots also cool baths warm baths will make her itch more and light clothing for bed will help her be more comfy once the spots have dried out she won’t be contagious then try not to let her itch the spots as it can leave scars bit defo chamillie lotion my son has some spots left but they have Al dried out i was putting the lotion on four times a day

I haven’t hard of that one in 50 yrs.

Calamine with menthol or aqueous cream with menthol will cool the skin and stop the itch…pharmacist will make it up for you and its less drying than plain calamine…luke warm baths, loose cotton clothes and try to stop any scratching as they leave scars
Havent seen anyone having chicken pox for years
Keep your distance from pregnant women…its dangerous for the baby

well now you should have thought about that when children were to have the vaccinations for chicken pox are you happy now you and that other mother who were very reckless with your children’s lives

2 Likes

Could have vaccinated.

1 Like

Oatmeal bath was the only thing that brought me any relief at all.

This worked wonders for my daughters its better than calamine lotion. Do not give ibrofen/nurofen it reacts with the pox!

When bathing place plain oats in a stocking and use the stocking on your skin. Relieves the itching and no scarring.

Baking soda & epsom salt baths + calamine lotion and I’m guessing Benadryl would help if medically allowed.