What can I do for my son with ADHD?

My 4 year old got diagnosed with Adhd. he’s far to young to medicate . what are some support groups, resources to help him.

1 Like

Routine is super important. We found that was key to having less bad days and more positive response.

Definitely look into resources from the pediatrician or family support groups in your area

1 Like

Honestly the most important thing is to get yourself help. You will need help in learning how to parent him. Not sure of you have older kids but it’s completely different for an adhd kid.

1 Like

Behavioral therapy worked wonders for my daughter. She was diagnosed in 1st grade I believe and I did that first before medication.

My mom put me in after school activities especially sports. Also routine is super important as when we get older it helps discipline us a bit. Important also try to avoid processed foods.
Bed early as it can take us a bit to fall asleep.
I was never on medication and still in my 40’s never have been. There will always be bad days but find a routine and things that work for you. Just don’t baby hold him responsible for his actions don’t excuse his behavior because he’s adhd

2 Likes

First rule of thumb….eliminate red dye from all of his food and drinks. It’s a game changer!!

2 Likes

4 is not too young for the meds. Trust me I know. There are different meds and different doses

3 Likes

Physical, speech, play, and occupational therapy are all life changers with autism! Educate yourself and don’t believe everything the Dr says. I’ve had to get several second opinions. There are so many different treatments and some are awful.

When we where talking about getting a diagnosis for my son the dr said she strongly recommends occupational therapy for adhd kids who don’t do meds

Limit refined sugar and such products,no caffeine, try not to over stimulate him.Most kids thrive in controlled environments and order.schedules and times can be important to them.

Work rewards vs punishment. Let him wiggle and move, it’s his body’s way of regulating. Taking red dye out of my child’s diets like some are suggesting did nothing for us, because my kids aren’t allergic to dye, they have different neurology.

1 Like

Physical Workouts in the AM and PM. Breaks a sweat and he’s done! Works better than any chemical ever invented.

2 Likes

How would little one get diagnosed at 4, way too early. I would look for other professionals to help with this. It took me 3 years to have my son diagnosed that was showing extreme signs of it too, normally 6 is the earliest for ADHD diagnosis.
**I’m not saying they won’t show signs, but real professionals do not go off signs so early on, they need more information from e.g school to base it off.
Right now consider a change of diet like keto or low carb (to reduce sugar intake and zero junk food and zero packaged foods) food is a very important factor in how your child will feel for the day, wake up before they do - this helps you prepare the healthier meal options as well as you feeling ready for the day with coffee had in peace, make an activity plan - not every day is about excitement but being prepared and having a set out route for you will help in burning off energy for your son so that he can tire himself out and last of all - yes I know we are not perfect, things get messy but kids with ADHD and even adults thrive in tidy and organised spaces and they love tidying but not so much cleaning and organising by themselves though.
Good luck

2 Likes

Green tea was suggested for our kiddo by his doctor. Also removing Red dye from their diet.

1 Like

Going to be devil’s advocate here, if they had cancer would they be too young for meds? Sometimes early intervention is best. I wish I had been on meds way earlier in life for my issues. But follow doctors instructions and dont be afraid to get a second opinion. Do whats best for the kid.

My daughter has Autism, Severe ADHD, ODD, Severe Anxiety, and Touretts. She’s been medicated since she was 4! She was always on the petite side too, she started taking meds at barely 30 pounds, she started on Guafacine on a very low dose and it helped tremendously. The first couple of weeks she was sleepy and groggy, but once it got in her system she was much better. As she has aged we’ve adjusted the dose and added meds as well to help her function better.

3 Likes

The pediatrician should be able to refer you to somewhere or make some Suggestions.

1 Like

Change his diet it is usually the food they eat they red dye docs are so quick to say adhd and medicate

Please please look into PCIT therapy. It helps so much with behaviors associated with ADHD. Anita Lovell in Lincoln is certified in PCIT. If you need help, please reach out to me and I’ll have her look into a provider who’s certified in your area.

It worked so well. It’s intensive and a ton of work but so worth it.

1 Like

Check with diagnostic center or person who did his testing and see if they have a list of area groups/therapists that you can work with or join to help. There’s lots of groups online just beware that people may try to sell you things in effort to “cure” your child. Work on diets, sleeping and make their routines part of their procedural memory.

I wish we had Facebook when my “badly behaved” daughter was little. The school doctor said she could be ADHD when she was five but didn’t refer her for further investigation as “a label at her age would only encourage her to conform to the disability”. She is 40 now and waiting for an ADHD and autism diagnosis. She is on a 7 year waiting list, but her therapist, who is an autism expert, isn’t qualified under the NHS, so she doesn’t qualify for state benefits in the UK.

My 4 yr old son was diagnosed with adhd and ptsd and was very close to getting kicked out of prek.
I found a detox called Bioray detox and focus and it SAVED HIM. That and doing aba style parenting. Message me if you’d like some pointers.

1 Like