What can I do to become a better mom?

Hi moms, just wondering what do you do be be or become a better mother to your kids ?

2 Likes

The way I try to be a good mom is to spend time playing games with them!

1 Like

Love and teach them about God

1 Like

Give myself grace, lots of prayer, and let them know I’m learning along with them

1 Like

Acknowledging my triggers and understanding that they have nothing to do with my kid. It’s an ongoing learning process for sure.

I wake up before them…exercise…do yoga …have my coffee…make schedules/to do lists. Keeping fit will always benefit you and them. Makes us happier and healthier physically-so we can grow old and watch them grow…play onn the floor…playground wherever. N also feel more ready for the day rather than waking up to “Mommmmyyy” n bein all tired n crabby. Take time to go out on your own wout them…if able. Treat to yourself to dinner out or a spa day. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’ve slowly learned that the best way I can be the best mom, is to take care of myself too.

I poured absolutely all of myself and my time into my son, and after a while I’ve gotten extremely burnt out (I’m a single mom and his dad isn’t around), so I would notice I was becoming more impatient and frustrated at little things I normally wouldn’t be frustrated at.

I really try hard to take a little bit more care of myself, and try to have alone time every once in a blue moon. It’s hard because I don’t really have a lot of people I trust to watch him, but when I’m able to focus on myself for just a LITTLE BIT, I’ve noticed I’m much more relaxed and myself!

Being a mom is hard. The fact that you’re asking how to be a “better mom”, already means that you’re a great one. :heart:

1 Like

I took faith based parenting classes with my second and third kids… it was almost like free therapy

Acknowledge the things they do. You can mention a color or activity they may be doing. You can give posative reinforcement. Talk and listen, even if the subject is kid level.

Include them on tasks you’re doing.

I do the best I can and don’t beat myself up and do better when I think I can do better.

Spend time with them. Give them tour attention and put the phone down! Play with them and ignite their imaginations!

Be present. Be more patient. Do your best. All you can really do🤍

3 Likes

Treat then with respect and patience. Play with them. Discipline to learn from not for punishment.

Let them talk and have an opinion. Watch whatever they want to show me because a lot of times they just want to see my reaction. Do things they want to do even if I do t want to do them. I never say no when they want to go wherever I’m going. Have our inside jokes.

1 Like

I put myself through a deeply personal healing journey. I began learning how to overcome childhood trauma and generational curses and learning to find acceptance/love for my self and am learning how to regulate my emotions without yelling, spanking, lashing out, etc. It’s a process and it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but I could not live with myself if my children felt like they couldn’t come to me. A lot of people tell me I’m soft but I’d rather have whole, strong children than raise them to be adults with broken spirits.

Talk, don’t scream, make time, make a schedule and let your kids know you’re there for them.

Care for your self.
Hear them out " their but why" isn’t rude.
Take time to pay attention to their 20937th jump lol

I think we all feel we are failing in this department. I ask myself this question a lot

1 Like

You’re already one step better… moms who care and worry about how they are to their children are usually doing a pretty good job.
You should be aware of how you are to your kids. If you’re not, then you may be a bad mom :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Self care! Can’t pour from an empty cup…

I just want to say that the first step to being a good mom is wondering how you can be better. Just asking this, means you care. Lots of love and lots of patience. Start traditions with them that they can do after you are gone or they grow up. Remember, you are their best teacher, and as they grow they are learning from you. Teach them to cook and to clean and to sew if you know how. You will know you are doing a good job if when they are grown, you feel you gave them everything they needed to succeed. I have an 18 and a 13 year old and lol I am still questioning whether the 18 year old can make it by his self and that is normal. Time with you is all kids need. Whether you play games together or watch movies, or go do whatever you can afford to these days with them. Its all about the memories we leave them. The toys and material things they want won’t matter. They never remember those and grow out of them. They would be happier baking cookies or something with you in the long run. Raising kids does tend to get tough sometimes. Just be supportive. These days I have noticed it seems common for kids to wanna be trans and change sexes or be gay or bi sexual. These kids are growing up in a world we did not. They have internet and shows that don’t hold back like used to when comes to same sex relationships. I’m dealing with things like this with my daughter now. Being a teen is confusing these days more than when we were teens. If your kids come to you about anything like this, just be loving and supportive and accepting. Chances are they will grow and mature and maybe their ways of thinking and ideas about sexuality will change too, but if they don’t, love them through it. Lol Sorry this rant got long, but you got this mama!

Love them unconditionally, listen to them, play with them, all important. But also, don’t be afraid to discipline your child. Don’t try to be their friend, they will have lots of them in their life but only one Mom. Discipline teaches them right from wrong, and that there are consequences to actions in life but it also shows love. Next, your willpower has to be stronger than theirs. This one is tough because we get tired, or busy, and just give in. It’s important to stay with your initial response and follow through accordingly . No means no. If you let children get away with doing what they want when they are little, you will have very difficult teenagers to contend with later on. Trust your instincts, a mothers instinct is very strong.
Never speak negatively about their father to them.
Always put your children first.
When you need time out for yourself, take it. No one likes to deal with grumpy people, especially children.

Don’t do drugs don’t choose men over them don’t beat them up or do anything else to them that you wouldn’t want anyone else to do.

3 Likes

Better yourself so you can educate them and teach them to be better humans

You’re already a great mom because bad moms don’t worry about being good moms.

1 Like

You buy them the $100 UGG slippers they want

1 Like

I read mine a short book every night and we go.on hikes every weekend