What can I do to get rid of my sons cough?

Omg mommas please help me out. My son is 4 years old and has the worst cough ever. Like to the point he almost pukes. I have tried EVERYTHING I could think of, saline, sucking out boogers, ibuprofen, Tylenol, triaminic, mucinex, an organic cough suppressant, humidifier in the room (dr is aware of all medications as I took him in for the cough) she said nothing she could prescribe to help calm it. I’ve given him spoonfuls of honey and NOTHING is working. He’s on antibiotics because he has an ear infection. He’s on day 3 and I hoped it would help but nothing. It hurts my heart to hear him coughing so much. He can barely sleep please help with remedies if you have some. I’m at my wits end and don’t know what else to do to help him. He’s been like this almost an entire week.

10 Likes

Have they listened to his lungs to see if he is wheezing. Cause this sounds like a possible asthma spell. My son just got over one of these the other day. He had to be put on predniSONE and qvar as well as an nebulizer and rescue inhaler as needed.

I’m a mama of an asthma kiddo and I wonder if the doctor overlooked it if his airways are inflamed, like what happens with croup. If that’s the case he might need an oral steroid and/or a rescue inhaler. Saline vials in a nebulizer can help a lot too. I hope he feels better!

7 Likes

How big are his Tonsils? My 8 year old battled this until his Tonsils were removed last year. He was a stage 4. Coughing and vomiting over and over. Only thing that somewhat calmed it was breathing in cold air

Patience also, a cough usually takes up to 2 weeks to finally get better and go away. Suppressing the cough with meds is also not a great idea. His body is doing what it needs to by coughing as awful as it can be.

2 Likes

Sounds weird but have him eat marshmallows or give him jello that’s not solidified yet. The gelatin helps coat the throat.

Get another opinion there is something that can be given or done

2 Likes

Maybe an inhaler? My son doesn’t have asthma, however was prescribed an inhaler to use when he gets a bad cough. He used to get croup a lot and the inhaler works, even when he doesn’t have croup. Might be something to ask about.

Vicks on the bottom of his feet than cover with socks, then sipping pineapple juice.

Steroid and nebulizer breathing treatment. Whether he is asthmatic or not, it will help. Good luck.

2 Likes

It’s probably the ninety day cough been around the time in this area

2 Likes

Ask for an ENT referral now! It could be something as simple as post nasal drip causing the cough or more inflammatory like bronchectisis. He may need an inhaler or steroid treatment. I would pursue this if he’s had a cough longer than 3 weeks.

Try Vicks vapor rub on feet apply socks sleep in morning he will hack up a bunch but than should be good .

1 Like

Mullein tea, he may not like the taste, it’s kinda earthy but that sweetened with honey will help a ton

Go to a diff Dr they should be able to give him some cough medicine

It could possibly be allergies. I have horrible allergies and when my sinuses get dry, I cought a lot.

1 Like

Put some vicks on his feet at night. With socks.

Make a mint Tea, by boiling abit of mint, adding, a tsp of honey n let him sip on Dat!

Cut up onions put in plastic bag and tie over kids feet at night with onions at bottom of feet… Mullein tea if upset stomach from all the mucus add fennel seeds …for ear I mix 50/50 rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide and put it in the ear 5 mins then drain 5 mins… do 3x a day and it will go away… Umm u said your kid is on antibiotics?? Give probiotics to replenish gut health and then start boosting immunity…

You could try children’s dimatap cough and cold

Ask the dr. For a safe cough med so he can sleep

Sometimes there is nothing a doctor can do and you have to let it run its course. A cough could take 3 weeks. He is puking because it helps get that stuff out of his chest. Cool air humidifiers and maybe a nebulizer with saline would help loosen it all up. You also may be treating with the wrong meds. Try allergy meds if he is showing one of those symptoms.

Nebulizer with peroxide. Never tried it but my sister does it all the time. She swears by it. She urged her friend with pneumonia to try it and after 3 days, she was much better!
I’m sure you can find instructions online or Utube.

Ask the doctor for a nebulisor

1 Like

We just started Children’s Zyrtec after a three month cough that doc said would run it’s course. Day three we had silence. Mind you…doc said it’s not allergic.

Put a spoonful of Vicks in the tub. Run the shower on hot. Then take him in the bathroom. Close the door & put a towel under it. Play with him in the bathroom (not tub) while the bathroom steams up. Let him breathe in the steam for 15-20 minutes.

1 Like

I use this and I get a steroid/ albuterol treatment

1 Like

Steamy hot bathroom with tap running

Truly, natural remedies do work. If they didn’t, we wouldn’t have used them for thousands of years. And, pharmaceutical companies wouldn’t be studying plants, taking extracts of them, and patenting them as drugs.this is not a claim or lies I was totally cured from hashimotos and neuropathy by Herbalist His remedy is surely the best. I suggest you try him out if you are having any health challenges and also get cured too, give him a try

Herbal treatment is 100% guarantee for disease, the reason why most people are finding it difficult to cure disease is because they believe on medical report, drugs and medical treatment which is not helpful to cure disease. Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate disease forever. You can contact dr obulu herbal medicine he is capable of curing many chronic diseases and viruses with his herbs remedies you can contact him on his Facebook page

thank you Lord :pray: for leading me to Herbalist ebanehita who was able to restore me back to life by curing me from HIV virus :microbe: totally and permanently with his powerful herbal remedies.i will always appreciate you sir for restoring my health back to me.you can get in touch with him at any type of disease :fly: or virus :microbe: god bless you all.dr.mapolo on hiv herpes hpv ALS cancer.and allot more. WhatsApp number.

+2349064871793 or you can contact him on his Facebook page
:point_down::point_down:

Indeed nature has the cure to all kind of human illiness/disease. I highly recommend you to Dr ebanehita Herbal Cure Center, he offer the best effective medication and also well experience herbalist, i was successfully treated from Lymphoma/Fibromyalgia/Thyroid/Hypothyroidism/ME/Lyme/Long COVID after using his medication. you can also give it a try, contact him on his page
:point_down::point_down:

It really depends on what type of cough.

Is there sinus drainage down his throat and Chest congestion? If so I’d say try steam. The cough will get ‘worse’ but it will be more productive which will help tone it down.
Is it a dry cough because of a ‘tickle’ in his throat? Try a ginger ale or sprite. Sometimes the carbonation helps with that tickle feeling.

You can ask about a allergy medication as well and that might help some.
I’m not sure where you are but allergies are HORRIBLE where I’m at right now.
Everything Is starting to get absolutely coated in pollen.
And I know that can cause people to cough because it irritates their throat

Did they try a steroid? Sometimes when my other kids have a horrendous cough that won’t go away they put them on steroids. Your son sounds like my almost 2 year old, kid will cough and cough until he pukes and they usually give him a steroid. Also try having him stand in front of the freezer and breathe in the cold air, that helps a bit with coughs, not a permanent solution but it helps some.

1 Like

Same thing happens with my daughter when she gets sick. The only thing that has ever really worked for us is Delsym.

My one year old granddaughter was just diagnosed with parainfluenza/croup a couple days ago. They did a swab to rule everything out but she was positive for that. They put her on a liquid steroid. We are giving her Zarbees dark honey. I would take him back to his Dr and have him swabbed unless they already did that at his visit. Good luck, I hope he gets better soon!

Put Vicks on the bottom of his feet,