What can I give my constipated baby?

What can I do for my 3 month old who is constipated. I’ve tried getting ahold of on call doctor and nobody has gotten back with me in 4 hours.

18 Likes

Try a little prune juice. Just an oz or two, then the lovely bicycle kick dance.

When my 9 week old was constipated I was told by midwife and health visitor to give them a warm bath as that helps relax the muscles, tummy massage and bicycle legs and so far all 3 have worked

11 Likes

We had this problem hugely with my girl and the only thing that worked the best was syringing a bit of warm water into her bum, it softens the blockage and gets it out. Have a towel down too

1 Like

Karo syrpe works wonders! My mom used it on us and i used it on mine. A little works wonders.

12 Likes

Gripe water and rotating the feet like a bicycle should help.

1 Like

Syrup like pancake syrup you may have to warm the bottle to get it to Melt just add it to the milk or formula

Do the I Love You massage. It helps get things moving. Google it and you’ll find lots of examples on how to do it. Learned from PT while son was in the NICU.

Prune juice. One part juice to two parts water. Definitely talk to pediatrician first, but that’s what mine recommended when my little had this issue at barely 2 months

4 Likes

Apple juice works really well.

My son is 7 now, but at infancy, we were told to massage him belly spelling LOVE with our movements

1 Like

I’ve always used these on my grands! Works quickly

1 Like

Massage some cream into the bottom so that it goes in side it will help . Boiled water with some sugar in it helps as well

Apple juice always worked for mine

When my grandson was little we gave him pear juice watered down.

2 Likes

2oz apple juice mixed with 2oz water.

Add prune juice to the bottle.

Warm bath and Karo syrup in a water bottle

Apple or pear juice diluted 2 parts water 1 part juice. Recommended to me by my own child’s pediatrician and my friend’s dr in a different state.
It works fantastically and doesn’t hurt the baby or give them a “sweet tooth”

2 Likes

Watered down apple juice. Karo syrup. Suppositories. Warm bath

3 Likes

my son’s pediatrician recommended giving ONE ounce of apple/prune juice mixed (15ml apple, 15ml prune)… my son was preemie and the doctor had us do this when he was two months if that helps… you can give it to them ONCE a day until you see a change

Always Karo syrup. And before someone says old wives tale I’m 67. My mom did it for 5 of us and we are still alive. You don’t need a lot.

10 Likes

Have you tried gentle tummy and back massages and leg movements? It seems to work well for our little one when shes having tummy trouble.

2 Likes

1oz prune juice 1 0z water

BioGaia probiotics, PERIOD!

1 Like

My kids pediatrician recommended a teaspoon of DARK Karo syrup mixed in 6 ounces of warm water bottle fed. Worked like a charm. He was an old school doctor who was in practice for over 50 years.

12 Likes

Our pediatrician told us super water down apple juice was fine. We had constipation issues I believe closer to two months but we were a little skeptical but we did it and it worked. I think it was like one ounce juice and two or three ounces water

Put some baby oil on your hands and gently massage your baby tummy…

This. Don’t use the whole thing but it works and very quickly. And is safe

Sit your baby up like as they would sit on a potty. Criss gross your legs and use the middle as like the toilet essentially… I do this with my two month old and she poops at least once a day. As well as warms baths!

When my boys used to get constipated I would put just a little bit of Karo syrup in their formula and within a couple hours they were pooping

7 Likes

Castor oil in belly button

lay her on your tummy and give soothing back rubs on the lower back, you can do it for your tummy time. when my boy had constipation the dr made a referral to a physical therapist, he also had wry neck and needed the extra support due to it causing issue with breastfeeding positions (I loved the cute pillow bean)
the therapist did clockwise rubs near the lower abdomen where his intestines are to help move the poo along.
and at 3mos it can be so challenging to find safe ways to treat tummy issues, it’s hard mama but you got this

I know a lot of pediatricians will recommend a small cup of apple juice diluted with water. Or prune juice. You can also do leg exercises like bicycles which really helped my kids.

Spoon of dark brown sugar in some boiled water…old remedy but works every time

At 3months,probably suppositories are your best bet. Your local pharmacist will definitely be able to make a recommendation if you are not able to reach your pediatrician.

5 Likes

Karo syrup. To heck with the “experts”. It worked with all mine and they’re grown and fine.

wait for the pediatricians recommendation. we always used infant glycerin suppositories.

8 Likes

Massage their belly in a circular motion. Give very little apple or prune juice juice mixed with 1oz of water. That was recommended to us by our pedi- granted that was almost 7 years ago it may not be recommended to do so anymore. So someone please correct me if so .

2 Likes

Karo syrup, prunes/prune juice watered down, increase fluid intake, glycerin suppositories (infant size)

We just discussed ghis issue with the Pediatrician this wee for my 8 week old and she recommended 1 oz, prune, pear or apple juice or if you have any breast milk that will also do the trick

Ring your chemist and speak to the pharmast

I used a very small amount (less than a half of an ounce) of apple juice with 4 oz water. Babies can’t process sugar so be becomes like a laxative for babies. Always small small amounts of juice and water. They get a lot of water with formula so very very little amounts.

Glycerin suppositories help immediately. Also , plums and prunes

Rub some Vaseline around the butthole. It works faster than anything

Liquid suppository for infants and you don’t need to use a whole thing of it you can squeeze most of it out or you can put some on your finger or Q-tip remember to put something down that you could throw away like a nice picture because they will go and the look on their face is priceless mind slept for 8 hours after words lol big relief

I would wait for your dr to get back to you or ask your pharmacist. My son was a few months old when he had issues my Dr recommended a small amount of a suppository…it worked so well his dad opened his diaper because he heard his stomach rumbling poop hit the walls and chair in his room lol

1 Like

Reach out to a local reputable chiropractor who works with specifically with infants, toddlers and families.

He’s 3 months old, please don’t listen to literally anyone that says to give anything other than his breastmilk or formula. Wait for his doctor. In the meantime try a warm bath, rub his tummy. You can YouTube actual methods of rubbing to help with constipation. People are going to tell you ‘it worked for my kids and they’re fine’ that may be true but remember that babies stomachs are designed to only handle milk at this age.

Probiotic drops worked wonders for us!

Suppositories for sure !!! I had to do this with my son, I remember having to slice them up just to use a thin piece. I’d def ask the dr or pharmacist for exact instructions bc it’s been 13 yrs but it worked every time and didn’t seem to be painful or super uncomfortable for my baby at the time. Pretty sure it was glycerin suppositories

Talk to your doctor 1st. If you have trouble getting a hold of the doctor, I would keep calling. The doctor has the best advice for your baby.

My son’s ped had us mix 1/2oz of prune juice with 1/2oz of water 2 times a day for a total of 2 oz mixed. He pooped so fast after that. He was about 3-4 months old.

I found massaging the base of their spine near their bottom help. Also warm bath and massage.

Organic blackstrap molasses. This treated my daughters constipation and gasiness from 2 months (when I learned about it) until she grew out of it.

Cvs sells laxative bath salts so you just add it to the bath water and soak baby

If you can’t reach the paediatrician straight away, ask the chemist for recommendation for infant of that age before you give anything. Make appt. with Dr. for check up & to rule out a potential chronic issue asap. In meantime, a warm bath and very gentle tummy massage can help.

Enfamil Nutramigen it’s expensive but it helped my daughter since she was constipated