What can I use for my acne?

Can we talk acne? I’ve not had clear skin since I was 15, but the older I get the worse it gets. I have the Mirena IUD, so not sure if that’s contributing. I don’t wear makeup but I’m also not comfortable in my own skin due to constantly being broke out. I’m on a waitlist to see a dermatologist, but I was wondering what y’all use for acne, because I’m at a loss.

12 Likes

I use CeraVe… Love it👌🏽

I got on Spironolactone and it has been a game changer! Needs a prescription, but it works wonders!

I’ve heard Amish Farm Soap, (online) is great for skin.

Try some stuff thru Apostrophe. I use to work for them and they do work

Following-I’m 57 and my face looks 15yr old with cystic acne now and wrinkles.

I got differin for my son and didn’t seem to help. I switched him to Cerave acne wash and seems to be doing better.

Original head and shoulders shampoo… it takes about a week but it works

My son used Proactive and it helped tremendously.

Original Irish Spring soap

So….I kind of am in the same boat. Had beautiful skin as a teen but then got breakouts as I got older. Pretty sure my issue is hormone related though because I didn’t get serious acne until I got put on progesterone when I was pregnant and even after stopping it when it was safe. I’ve had some pretty bad breakouts since. It has gotten better with age but still do go through it sometimes. I also found out a few years ago that I have PCOS. Anyways though, my miracle workers have been the ordinary’s squalene wash, kopari peptide moisturizer, and drunk elephant’s TLC framboos glycolic night serum. I still get outbreaks sometimes but it’s not nearly as bad and I do have issues with my hormones…so it’s going to happen. But even so, my face looks ten times better than what it did. It’s also way healthier. If you struggle with body acne too. Love beauty and planet’s watermelon and hyaluronic acid body wash along with Truly’s berry cheeky products keep me pretty clear. I hope this helps. :black_heart: I know it sucks and I have felt uncomfortable in my own skin at times too. But these products have really helped me.

Cosmetologist here! What’s your skin care routine? What products are you using?

It was food allergies for me. Wheat. I’d see a naturopath if possible.

La Roche posay I forgot the name of the cream but :ok_hand:t3::ok_hand:t3::ok_hand:t3::ok_hand:t3::ok_hand:t3: also get an allergy test done. My skin/scalp issues cleared once I cut the culprit out!

As odd as it sounds, when I have breakouts I use head and shoulders shampoo as face wash and then a non scented moisturizer for sensitive skin.

2 Likes

None scented soap and warm water in the morning when I wake up and at night before I go to sleeping use ur hands not a wash cloth.

1 Like

Try nuetregena face soap.

I got my iud out and I take Ovablend and EGCg and my hormonal acne is basically gone. But that was at the direction of a naturopathic physician.

You won’t beat Liz Earles cleanse and polish it’s brilliant

I was in the same situation as you, I had it since like 12 or 13 years old. I finally tried Accutane after I had both of my kids when I was 30ish and it worked wonders for me. I have not had any issues with acne since taking it and that was about 5 years ago.

2 Likes

I never had issue’s when I was a teenager. Got the Mirena and had cystic acne on my chin. Worst ever. Once I had the Mirena removed within 1 month my face cleared up

Are you drinking plenty water? What you’re eating is a factor too. Regardless of your skin type, I personally recommended the face wash with the least amount of ingredients. I ALWAYS use the soap for “sensitive” skin. It’s non-sented and clear. Wash your face more frequently wish just water and your hands, no cloth!

Gonna sound weird but:
If it’s hitting right under your jaw and the upper back/shoulders: your acidity is too high.

Cut acidic foods and drinks for a week to treat the theory -
And drink 8 oz water with 1/8th tsp baking soda mixed in right before bed each night.

If this works: it’s not bacterial or hormonal - it’s simply your body unable to detoxify on its own. Keeping to this will drastically change it if you stick to lowering the acidity for good.

If you’re able to see my comment please reach out to me. I’m an Esthetician and i ban help with a regimen. Restoring the barrier is the #1 thing to do right now. The derm will more than likely put you on meds which can make the barroer pretty compromised. Its best to get that restored before that happens. The goal would be to not be on medications, or at least not for a long time.

I break out really bad & I finally found products that work for me after a million tries. CeraVe & Benzagel ! I use them together & I’ve never been so cleared up I’m actually really shocked.

2 Likes

My daughter uses apostrophe. It worked wonders on her.

My son had horrible acne. We tried everything. The one thing that worked was the green soap that tattoo artists use initially then he just stopped using any soaps, just water and it cleared up. I guess everything was just flaring it up.

2 Likes

Castor oil wish I found out about this a million years ago it’s fucking amazing for acne just started using it like a month ago but this stuff also works amazing when you go to the dermatologist talk to them about chemical peels or if it’s really bad acutane

Your probably just washing your face wrong. Wash with white soap, (dove)use hot water to wash, cold water to rinse.

CeraVe was highly recommended by my teen daughters dermatologist a couple of years ago and it has worked for both of us.

Vaseline. Works better than soap & water. Also spot treat with it overnight.

I had bad acne twice as an adult. My dr tried all different creams. I suggest skipping right to acutane ! It is THE best thing and works amazing!!! Within like 1-2 months it’s cleared. I took it for 4 months the first time and 5 the second time, it can be really hard on your liver so you have to get blood work done every month to ensure everything is good and it can cause depression. But honestly I had no issues and it works amazing. Don’t even waste ur time with washes and creams. Go right for the good stuff.

About 10 years ago I started dabbing mine with neosporin.

Cerave! Gentle gel to foaming wash.

My kids and I have tried all kinds of acne products but what seems to work the best is after bath or shower, put a little rubbing alcohol on a wash cloth. Also make sure you rinse your hair and face with cold water before getting out of shower.

Use ivey soap just the soap bar it will clear up

I’ve always used rubbing alcohol

Have no new advice but I have support and respect for your honesty.

The only thing that worked for me was going dairy free and switching to organic hormone free products

I wash with plain water and a washcloth. NO soap. NO products. Morning and night. And use Oil of Olay. It works for me. Very simple.

Go to a farm & home store like Atwood’s or Orschlens and get a bar of lye soap and wash with it.

I use this…i buy it off amazon …helps me ALOT

I read on another post somewhere where the person was advised to stop drinking milk for a week and their skin condition improved, they said it worked ?

You probably have hormonal acne. My skin was fine until I got pregnant and I tried everything. Alot of products you find at stores don’t treat hormonal acne so don’t waste your money like me :upside_down_face:

I use prescription cream along with Noxema and CeraVe (but Walmart brand is cheaper and works just as well). I still have flare ups around my cycle and I’ve always used peroxide to dry them out.

And please keep in mind if you take an oral script for acne get regular blood work!! They can damage your kidneys!

It depends on your type of acne. You have to look up what kind you have, the more severe types being cystic and bacterial. Cystic is usually aggravated by diet and bacterial is lifestyle.