What can the doctors do to stop seizures while pregnant?

I’m an epileptic mom. I’m pregnant with #3, and I’ve had three seizures in the past week. Has anyone gone through this, and how did the doctors help? I’m currently in an emergency.

12 Likes

I feel for you. My son has epilepsy and it’s horrible. I don’t have any advice. But I hope for your sake and the baby’s that they calm down for you.

you should be finding out if its safe to take your epilepsy meds…

1 Like

CBD oil? My mother in law isn’t pregnant but a few drops pulls her directly out of a seizure and a drop a day usually prevents them

6 Likes

Call your ob and talk to the on call nurse if it’s after hours

1 Like

They had to increase my meds and do blood work to check levels every month to make sure it was at right level with the baby growing

1 Like

This is something that really needs to be discussed with your doctor since they know your medical history.

1 Like

They should send you to a neurologist that has experience with pregnant patients. Same with an OB, they work together to control your seizures the best they can. Remember to avoid your triggers, I’m in the same position. 3rd pregnancy 33 weeks, uncontrolled seizures. My baby is being delivered via c-section at 37 weeks since my last big seizure caused a tear in my uterus. Good luck mama

1 Like

Dr nadir cleveland clinic oh

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What can the doctors do to stop seizures while pregnant? - Mamas Uncut

I was put on keppra. And they have to up the dose as the pregnancy progresses. Currently at 28 weeks with only 1 seizure and it was while I was off the medication

1 Like

I second the keppra I was on it for both my pregnancies! I would talk to your doctor! It’s the safest on the market for the baby and helps with seizures

Ginkgo Bilbao 1 in the morning, 1 at lunch and 1 before bed. Actually I’m now seizure free for 12yrs.

With my son I had a seizure at 20weeks. My Keppra was increased to 1000mg 2x a day after the pregnancy it was brought back down. When I became pregnant with my daughter at 20weeks it happened again and I was increased again to 1000mg 2x a day. I went ahead and just kept it at the MG incase I ever get pregnant again. Keppra has been my life saver.

They put me on Keppra first…cut to 7 more seizures, it wasn’t a drug for me!..10 mg of cbd oil daily became my medication. Not a seizure again after dose 1.

In advice but prayers u get the help u need.

1 Like

If you can smoke medically and the drs know do it for the sake of you and the little one.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What can the doctors do to stop seizures while pregnant? - Mamas Uncut

I took keppra during all 5 of my pregnancies. Happy healthy babies and children.

I don’t have a answer. Sending my prayers. :pray:t5::pray:t5:

Keppra xr is the seizure medicine I have been on since I was 18 no side effects and I had to take it while I was pregnant with my daughter she will be 5 and so far no problems with her. They recommend that medication for women because it doesn’t give any side effects to the baby.

Sending prayers maybe cannabis?

Do u know what triggers them? Are u on medicine to control them?

I have epilepsy as well, I actually had a seizure an was sent to ER where I then found out I was pregnant… I take keppra 1500mg a day and haven’t had one since! Hope all goes well with your pregnancy god bless :heart::relaxed:

My neurologist had me in 1,500 mg of keppra BID and 50 mg of lamictal BID. I actually had a seizure in the shower near thanksgiving when 3.5 months pregnant. After that he had me do weekly blood work and monthly visits. he was able to keep my keppra dosages the same but my dosages for my lamictal fluctuate depending on my blood work and any seizure activity. Luckily I was able to go back down in my meds after giving birth.

My daughter took her regular seizure medication lamotrigine or lamectal. 200 mg twice a day. It’s the safest for woman.

I have epilepsy too. We prevented my seizures with lamictal. I currently still take it and did while I was pregnant and it prevented my seizures while I was pregnant with all three of mine. What medication are you on?

Medication. Some are safe during pregnancy. I have epilepsy

I’m no doctor and I don’t have epilepsy. But! My hubby is a farmer. A Hemp farmer. Can you find some fan leaves in your area for purchase? Some farmers might just give them to you! Juice them raw. Look into CBDA. It’ll also help with the development of your babies endocannabinoid system. We ALL need cannabinoids because we ALL have an endocannabinoid system. Do some research on this Mamma! Best wishes to you and baby. :pray:

AGAIN, I’M NO DOC! I just believe in nature. :wink:

I used and still use cbd for mine.