What can we do about a dog marking his territory all over the house?

Any tips on how to deal with a dog peeing/marking his territory throughout the house?? He’s used to being the baby of the house; he was my boyfriend’s dog… my two girls & I moved in, and we got a rott puppy who is now ten months. My boyfriend’s dog is three years old and completely potty trained but has started peeing and marking his territory everywhere. We’re due with a new baby in two months, and I REALLY don’t want to deal with him peeing on the baby’s stuff. We make sure to give him as much attention as possible… he pees a little every time we leave

18 Likes

Spay or neuter your dog as soon as possible. The longer a dog goes before neutering, the more difficult it will be to train them not to mark in the house. Spaying or neutering your dog should reduce urine-marking and may stop it altogether.

3 Likes

Def fix him if he isnt already, that could help. He seems upset. So just do ur best. I will suggest nature’s miracle pet cleaner! It is amazing!! And i think a new baby could upset him even more, just alot of changes. Not much advice but good luck!!

1 Like

Fix him if he isnt fixed

1 Like

If the new puppy is a male he’s showing his dominance over the puppy I’m currently dealing with my 14 year old male dog doing this over our 1 year old pup. 🤦

1 Like

He needs to be fixed

1 Like

Spray lemon spray were he pee it work.

He is jelled Have you tried rubbing his nose in it. That is how I stopped one of a friends dogs.

If he isn’t fixed then do that ASAP. Also fix the puppy. If he’s peeing when you leave that’s a sign of separation anxiety. Crate training will help with him not being all over the house.

1 Like

Get him fixed and in the meantime get him a belly band. It’s for older dogs that can’t control their bladder as well but it would work to stop him from getting pee everywhere and you can simply wash it to use again. Keep correcting the behavior by saying bad dog when you notice him trying to pee and if he has peed rub his nose in it and say bad dog and place in a time out kinda things like his crate if he has one or locked in a different room for a few minutes

2 Likes

Put his ass outside where he belongs.

I rescued a dog who was two and did this in my house. We got him fixed and used belly bands. He doesn’t have any issues now.

1 Like

Definitely needs to be fixed as well as the Rottweiler. Belly bands work well for dogs that insist on marking everywhere.

Are they both neutered??? Cause if not that could solve it

1 Like

First talk to a vet secondly walk him more and play with him alone more he jealous of and trying to find his place in the pack

My dog stopped after we neutered him.

If you have a yard put him outside and let him get used to doing his business outside for a while and then bring him in

Crate training, use vinegar after you soak up messes.

This is a behaviour issue due to all the new people AND another younger dog up in his territory. Getting him neutered if not already might help but training is gonna be needed. Might need to get him in a doggie training class

1 Like

Absolutely neuter him if he isn’t, after that it’s a behavioral issue. It takes many weeks after neutering before hormones are gone but after that it’s all about the behavior modification. Neutering before it becomes a behavior is preferred (easier) but we can’t go back in time. Good luck!:dog:

2 Likes

Make sure he’s fixed and work on some crate training so you can crate him when you aren’t home. If you’re going to crate train one you have to crate train both. My dog does really well in his crate and it makes him less anxious when we leave to go places. :woman_shrugging:t3: it’s also been a useful tool against him pottying while we aren’t home. Health conditions aside, dogs will not potty where they sleep

2 Likes

Sometimes once a dog reaches a certain age, it matters not if they get fixed. They will still pee/mark territory! Speaking from my own experience. I also have a friend that has a dog that is 7 years old and fixed, still pees all over everything… inside and out! Good luck!

We had a boy dog that did this. He never completely grew out of it. It’s frustrating! The only things I can suggest would be to try to keep items off the floor that inspire peeing (for ours, it was bags, large stuffed animals, and boxes) and try to limit where in the house the dog can go. We had a bunch of baby gates all over and he could really only be in the kitchen, living room, and bathroom (and our room at night when we let him in and we were with him). That worked for the most part, though we still occasionally had incidents.

We have a rescue who dosen,like to be alone at all. He’s fine when we are home. The belly band diapers have been a lifesaver. We just put them on when we are not at home.

1 Like

Its usually a learned behavior, so if he learned this before being neutered, good luck

I totally concur with the idea of having him fixed and/or having him checked for any urinary problems. Many years ago I had a little poodle who suddenly started “marking” when he was 10 years old. He would literally pee on the edge of my husband’s recliner while he was sitting in it. Finally made a trip to the vet who recommended neutering. His quote, which I never forgot, was “objectionable behavior is common in older unaltered males.” I just shot my husband a”look” and asked the vet is I could schedule a twofer. Anyway, it took a while after neutering for the hormones to get out of his system and the problem was solved.

6 Likes

If hes not fixed I suggest that first, even then so a male dog already marking sometimes wont stop. If he doesnt, and is fixed then I suggest a belly band they make for male dogs to prevent them from marking.

3 Likes

My dog started to do that he was fix also was ck for bladder affected so my vet ask any changes at home and my daughter and son-in-law with there 4 kids had to move in so he was put on anxiety meds and it stop

2 Likes

For the people that say get him fixed. We have 2 dogs that do this… they are both fixed. It doesn’t help. Just try to keep items that he will pee on off the floor (mostly new items that he isn’t used to regularly being there). There will still be marking though. We have hardwood and baby gates where there’s carpet.

1 Like

My dog did it for awhile marking territory . Especially with new puppy he wants to let him know he’s in charge . We had to gate our dog when we were not home . He’s free to come into any room when we are there too . You can spade him but my dog was spaded . I would secure him away from the children’s toys if possible .

If he is not fixed, get him fixed ASAP. If he continues to pee on things, put him outside for a period of time. If he continues, then you might need to retrain him with lots of love and care. It might take a few days but it would be worth it in the long run.

1 Like

Give him a great every time he does his business outside. Male dogs are always bad for this.

Nueter.
Go to Vet !!
Urinary track infections will cause cats and dogs to urinate in bad places.
Also steam clean wheres its peed!!

1 Like

If the dog isn’t neutered that could be a problem. If he is, speak with an animal behaviorist.

1 Like

Cayenne pepper. I had a corgi that did that. He always sniffed before he would go. Sprinkled Cayenne one time. Never peed in tge house again

Start with neutering him. Its behavioral.

The belly bands are great amazon has them…take it off when outside back on when he comes in…getting him fixed will not stop it

3 Likes

You can get a body wrap for male dogs. My male dogs wear one. You can get disposable ones or fabric ones that you can wash. I just put a women’s pad in it and change out as needed. You can wash the fabric wraps.

Have him neutered if he isn’t already

“Fixing” a male dog helps with this pattern of behavior.

1 Like

I had a German shepherd that did this. I used a spray bottle with white vinegar and water. I would make him follow me to the spot, spray the spot, say no to him them spray a little in his mouth. Took about week but he learned to go outside.

He won’t stop and with a baby on the way… Happened to me with a cat. My baby outranks a pet. Cat put down.

8 Likes

They make a spray to keep dogs from marking. I used it and it works. Also, spray vinegar on places he Mark’s. They dont like vinegar. You have to reapply.

It’s time to neuter him, he wont be expressing that need to be masculine if he has no deelies anymore

Try use if we pads we use them and our little man use them when we aren’t home never had any problem with him marking his spot he is fixed and is 20 months old

Maybe try to walk the pet more , or set a schedule .

Make it an outside dog?

2 Likes

I had one do it and had to crate every time we leave.

Fixed? If not get him fixed

1 Like

Put doggy diapers on him for a few weeks…
He will stop

1 Like

Crate him when you leave

1 Like

He’s just jealous it will pass

If he’s not he needs to be fixed

Get him fixed if he’s not already.

Get him fixed if he is not

Well he is marking YOUR territory. Sorry.

My son’s dog does that, he bought a belly band and it works wonders. His dog has it on anytime he’s in the house

I have a 2yr old female pit bull that I rescued from the shelter back in april and she pees every time she is nervous and also she is spaded as well so what I have done is have her as an outside dog and still give her the love and attention she needs dont know how long it will take her to understand that she needs to go the the bathroom outside but so far so good

1 Like

lets see you and 2 girls moved in with him, you are going to have a new baby, and you get a 10mo old Rott puppy…Yea, I think I get why the dog is marking territory. Sounds very chaotic to me…

1 Like

God I could use advice too, my male pom is a year and still pees everywhere. I could have him outside for 2 hours and he will pee 10 min after coming into the house. I have baby gates up as well to block areas with carpet

He is marking his territory. !!! Because of the other dog !

1 Like

Please dont "rub his nose " in it. Its cruel and serves no purpose. Neutering is necessary,. Your older now living with a young female will have testosterone surging poor boy, he wont know what to do with himself. Once he’s fixed prioritise him, walk him till he’s really tired. I know you have a lot going on in your life but putting him first for a week or two will pay dividends. Make sure he’s occupied when you are all together ,though chewy treats and toys. When he finishes chewing immediately take him out. He’ll soon forget about scent marking. Good luck.

There is a band you Velcro around their middle section to prevent this