What causes heavy periods?

:exclamation::exclamation:TMI Warning :exclamation::exclamation:
A little backstory here, I used to have severe periods. I started my period at 8 years old and they used to last 10-13 days and extremely heavy I would use two overnight pads and still bleed through and I went on birth control for several years and got off of It a few years ago. So I’m 7.5 months postpartum and before I got pregnant my periods had come back from being on the depo were like 3 days and always just blood that was it. Now since having my son and getting an iud in December and having it removed in February my periods are really odd. They’re still 3 -4 days long but I notice it’s really mucus-y like discharge and very little blood. I’ve never experienced this before and I know after pregnancy and childbirth your cycles can change completely and I’m making an appointment on Monday just to be sure but has anyone else experienced this? Like my tampons are barely covered in blood and mainly just mucus. And I’ve noticed a few clots here and there which I’ve also never really had so I’m just confused. Any help is appreciated before my appointment!

3 Likes

I started having periods at 8 too and had horrible periods. It sounds like it could be your cycle trying to get back to normal after removing the birth control. Still talk to your doctor.

I am dealing with the exact same thing!! And at first I panicked thinking I was pregnant on the iud because it started out the same as when I was forming a mucus plug in my pregnancy but it went from a lot of mucus when I had my period to mucus even when I’m off my period! I got the liletta inserted at 6 weeks pp but it rejected and got another one inserted two weeks later but the mucus didn’t start until 7-8 months pp. I’ve just always figured that since there’s no pain that it’s not PID or any other type of infection from the iud. Keep me updated on what your doc says cause if it’s not normal than I should probably make an appointment too :sweat_smile: