What causes ingrown toenails?

My daughter is constantly getting in grown toenails on one of her toes and they seem very painful… what can cause them to keep coming back? Is there any way I can prevent this from happening?

2 Likes

Take her to a podiatrist and let him clip the nail

It can be genetic. It can be the way the toe nails are cut. It can be from wearing shoes that are too tight. There are a few reasons but these are the ones I can think of.

Ask your pediatrician for a referral to a podiatrist. They will cut a sliver of nail down the entire side of the nail including the root so the nail will not grow back. It leaves the rest of the nail intact which would be a preference for someone wanting to wear polish on their toes and sandals. My son had this done on both sides of one toe and one side of another toe.

My son suffered from those. a lot of kids who do sports, or just a injury could cause it, went to doctor they would remove that part of the nail, but eventually they just permanently removed the whole nail, can’t even really tell.

Take her to the doctor and see if they can remove that part of the toe nail, it is possible. Get that done and you won’t have to deal with it anymore.