What causes irregular periods after giving birth?

I had my first child almost 7 months ago. it took 3 months to get my cycle back and then disappeared again… have not had it for almost 3 months now. I have taken 3 pregnancy test, they are all negative. I’m making an appointment fot Dr but what is all of your experiences with post partum period? I expected it to he abnormal but I’m not exactly sure. I’d be happy to have another baby but I’m sure my body needs more rest. :heart:

11 Likes

My son is 10 months I haven’t had a period for 3 months negitive tests went to ob she gave me 2 weeks on a hormone pill to start period still didn’t come now she has me on pill still haven’t had it yet

I nursed for 9 months and only got one or two periods while I nursed and I only started bleeding if I went a day without nursing and as soon as a started nursing a lot my period would just stop.

Sometimes it can take up to a year for your period to return. That depends on if you are breastfeeding or on hormonal contraception etc. Its pretty normal.

1 Like

Is it probably because you’re breastfeeding?

If you’re nursing this is completely normal! But you can still get pregnant even though your cycle may not appear, so be careful :wink:

1 Like

I didn’t have one for 10 months !

Every body is different. With my first i literally bled for about 5-6 months. Then had a cycle every 3 weeks. With my second I bled for maybe 2 weeks and got my normal monthly cycle back. I’ve never missed a cycle and not been pregnant. But like I said, every body is different when it comes to recovering from childbirth.

Depends on if you’re exclusively breastfeeding. I am. Took 4 months to return.

With both of my children it took a good 5 months for everything to really go back to somewhat normal everyone is different really

If your BF that’s normal

Are you breast feeding? When I had my two, after the 6 weeks post partum I didn’t have a period until i quit nursing.

1 Like

Sometimes if your breastfeeding and only breastfeeding, it will mess with your cycle

1 Like

My daughter is 2 still nursing and no cycle. My Dr. advised this is normal - my cycle will return when we’ve stopped nursing.

1 Like

Looking for a fun and supportive mom group!?! Come join us! :slight_smile:

The COOL Moms

If your nursing that would be normal

1 Like

I exclusively nursed by son and it took 18 months for my cycle to start up again.

1 Like

If you are breast feeding, it may not come back until you stop. And then it could take a while. If not, check with your OB/GYN.

1 Like

And what happens if ur cycle.is at end of the month and it just week can u easily get pregent as wel

Depending on if u got birth control after the baby the depo shot alters ur cycle and that could be it but some of the implants can have r a major effect on it as well if it concerns you talk to ur o.b about switching or even getting on birth control to help

Are you breastfeeding? If yes, you may be “period-less” for a long time. After my postpartum bleeding I didn’t have a period for over 1 year.

OP Update:

I am not breastfeeding and not taking birth control- I never have and never will.

May just take some time for your body to get back into the swing of things.

1 Like

Same. I had my period exactly 28 days apart 3 times. Been 3 months now. Not pregnant. Not breastfeeding. No birth control.

When I was pregnant with my son I took pregnancy test and they were all negative. But I was pregnant lol