What chores do your kids do?

What chores do your ten and almost nine year olds do?

11 Likes

My 13 year old son has to do the dishes and he takes the garbage out and during the summer he cuts the grass, my 7 year old son loves to do any kind of work so I let him help with just about everything form cleaning to cooking to the yard work

When mine were that age, they would wash and fold their own laundry, vacuum and make their own lunches (supervised…otherwise they’d have eaten granola bars and pudding).

Myv11 yr old does dishes cleans his own room folds and puts away own clothes helps cut the grass thake the bins out my 4 yr old will literally clean and tidy anything and everything

9&5 years old, they put dishes away, help feed animals, make beds/clean rooms, clean up any mess they have made and put away their clothes

I am raising my 9yr grandson. He feeds the pet’s, cleans the litter box, takes out the trash, empties dish washer, makes his bed, does his own laundry and vaccums the stairs. He also cooks dinner once a week by himself :grin:

1 Like

Feed the dog
Empty the dishwasher
Wipe down the counters/ table
Sweep
Straighten up the bathroom and living room
Clean up bedroom
help with laundry and sorting clothes /folding laundry
I have 4 kids 5-15 yrs old they rotate chores… this isn’t all on one kid.

11 year old does dishes trash and wipe down stove and counter occasionally laundry and his litter box in his room and cooks. My 8 year old cleans living room. Takes out the dog feed and water the cats and dogs. Occasionally she begs hard enough to cook. They both help with their baby brother. Entertain him so mom can do laundry. Wash his cups. They want to help though. They chose the chores they have

1 Like

My 10 year old unloads the dish washer, is responsible for keeping her room clean, helps wash/fold/put away her own laundry and helps plan and cook dinner once a week. She also is the main one who cleans the playroom she shares with her baby sister but I help with that teaching the toddler to pick up.

Laundry, dishes, they can cook, sweep, mop, cheap bathroom (their pee especially) dust, yard work, trash, feed and wash dogs, vacuum van, wash van.

They dont do everything at once duties are normally split between the five of us and we rotate every other day.

My 10 year old feeds the dog, sweep/ mop the kitchen (that was one she wanted), make sure her clean clothes are put away, tears down pop boxes for recycling, making sure her room is picked up, she helps us cook dinner sometimes, puts a way clean dishes(she’s short so she can’t reach the top cabinets),and helps me with a lot now with things that are on the floor that I’m pregnant and can’t bend to do much.

Dishes, laundry, sweeping, trash out and to the road, keeping room tidy, bathroom counters, cleaning after themselves

My 4 ye old cleans up after herself, helps load the dishwasher, pulls the small trash can liners from the bedrooms and bathrooms and puts them in the big trash, helps sort recycling, feeds the dogs and helps fold her clothes. She will also vacuum, mop and sweep on occasion with me, along with wiping down counters and stocking wipes/diapers in her little sisters rooms.
She’s also responsible for her own water bottle to take to school. If she forgets to put one in her bag (or ask for one if she can’t reach) then she goes to school without— she forgot once.
We pick up daily and she knows Tuesdays is “clean up day” so we spend Tuesday morning doing as much as we can that way we won’t have to do so much the rest of the week.

My 11,year old aon picks up doggy piles, takes out trash, cleans his room, his laundry, and helps with vacuuming. My 9 year old daughter doea her laundry, helps with,some house cleaning, loads and unloads the dishwasher, and cleans dishes un the sink.

By this age my kids can do everything, including making simple meals.

Take trash out. Unload dishwasher. Vacuum. Dust. Clean his bathroom. Feed dogs. Help with laundry. He’s 11.

Unload dishwasher, help clean up kitchen after supper, vacuum kitchen floor, keep
Bedroom clean, and take care of her pet birds cage everyday. She’ll be 10 in a few weeks. Mores chores will be added

Vacuum, unload (some items) from dishwasher, swiffer floors, keep bedroom clean.

Laundry, sweep, mop, bedrooms, living spaces, pretty much everything but dishes :blush:

Laundry, load the dishwasher

1 Like

Dishes trash bedroom

When my girls hit double digits, they became totally responsible for their own laundry. Meaning if they didn’t wash it, it wasn’t washed. They always had to help with anything and everything in terms of picking up, dusting, sweeping, mopping. Helping rinse and put away dishes. We didn’t and I still don’t have a dishwasher.

My son takes the trash out, helps with recycling, keeps his room clean, helps with laundry, makes his bed, helps with unloading dishwasher, and helps me around the house with small things. He feels he needs to protect me from getting hurt from doing housework. Love my little man.

4 Likes

Don’t have kids yet, however I was doing dishes by the time I was 8. (We had a dishwasher but I washed the big stuff or if the washer was full I washed whatever didn’t fit in. ) , my brother was to take out the trash. As well as cleaning our rooms regularly.

Take out trash, empty dishwasher/put dishes away, dusting, vacuuming/sweeping, making bed, cleaning own room and feeding dogs are chores my 8 year old does.

At that age my boys took care of all their own stuff. Rooms, bathrooms, laundry. Every night they helped clean up dinner. Occasionally sweep and take trash out.

My daughter has been watching me do every from a very early age. “Mommy, I do it!” Well supervised and with understanding not to touch sharp objects, she would load the dish washer. She knew her colors fairly young too so she knew how to sort clothes, grab the step and place the clothes into the washer. I would say she was 4 and doing laundry and dishes.

My 7 and 5 year olds help with alot. They know how to run the washer and dryer. They know how to unload and mostly know how to load the dishwasher. Clean up after themselves. Wipe down chairs. Pick up living room/bedrooms. And they love to take out the trash. they both fight to help me cook too.

They basically do anything thats asked of them. If they dont know how i show them. If they can reach it, and make a mess…they can clean it. I dont structure chores. We have a “see the need fulfill the need” rule. If you see it needs done (the trash needs taken out for example) they are expected to take it out. If i come in the kitchen and find someone putting garbage in an already full can…they all get in trouble. Period. Mother of 5. Even my 4 yr old does this with age and size appropriate chores

6&10… both do a lot to help; vacuum, dust, wash dishes, do laundry; fold (10), put away (6), scoop cat litter, feed cats, etc… we ALL work together to keep house… that said, I find clothes hidden in closets, food still on plates and things not folded like I do BUT they’re learning important skills and find being helper makes them feel accomplishment and rewarding… most days.

My 7 yo makes his own bed and cleans his room. Puts his laundry away…we have recently started working on folding it himself. Takes out the trash and feeds the dogs.

1 Like

My 8 yr old,
Trash, Sweep floor, Fold his own clothes, make bed, feed animals. On weekends we clean up after said animals

Put their own laundry away. Empty small trash cans. Wipe down counters. Vacuum. Feed animals

Clear table, make their beds, clean their bathroom weekly & periodically dust base boards and/or vacuum (before family gatherings/holidays).

Our 10 yr old son has been responsible for for feeding and watering the dog plus cleaning up her poop for the last 3 years. In the last 2 years he has been responsible for taking out the trash and taking the cans to the curb and back. Since he was 4 he’s has been picking up his toys before bed. I don’t really call these chores since I don’t pay him. These are responsibilities that help out the family.

2 Likes

NOT really chores, She is 14 just clean up after yourself. Main thing is keep your room clean & laundry done

Take out the trash, load and unload the dishwasher on occasion, vacuum, sweep and up keep their room.

My 10 year old does dishes, sweeps, cleans the bathroom (but not well :laughing:), laundry (washing, folding and putting away), cooks some meals, keeps his room clean, vacuums, and dusts. He doesn’t do all of these things all the time - my kids and I take turns doing chores.

My kids rotate chores and by age 10 they did whatever needed to be done, including laundry, dishes, cooking, mowing the grass, and cleaning up after themselves.

1 Like

If they can run these machines for video games and watching tv and making calls etc

They can so just about anything that isnt super dangerous or that should be left to an adult

I mean unless they have some mental disorder keeping them from doing things at that age most anything really

Their rooms clean, make their beds everyday, help me fold and put away laundry, they clear their dishes and help take in groceries and put away

Laundry and dishes
Clear the porch of the dry leaves

Dishes, vacuum, fold and put away laundry, sweep

Dishes and their laundry(with help)

1 Like

Sweeping, vacuuming, their rooms, set the table, dishes etc depends on your comfortability. Just things you know they can handle. Garbage is always a good one for those ages boy or girl

Wash dishes… clean room. any where is needed

Dishes and cleaning the bathroom

Basically anything I needed at that age just supervised if using any cleaning chemicals. Now they are older they rotate their daily/weekly chores.

At that age they can do anything :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I use to do dishes and clean the kitchen.

Our two teen and 12 year old do as fallows:
Clean and vacuum their own rooms.
Wash, dry, fold and put away there own clothes.
Help cook meals, clean up the mess. That does very from meal to meal. Sometimes they simply take out their dishes, othere nights they help clean the pots and pans. Our kitten is small, so its big enough for 2 and that’s it.
Clean the bathrooms ect…
They will help with other thing’s as I ask (watch is not often.) Like the fridge and things like that.

They don’t do it all at once, and we do split up alot of the household chores so that I’m not left holding the bag all day everyday, and I don’t feel overwhelmed with all the work of cleaning up after 5 people.
I do most of the work during the week, I just ask them to pickup after themselves and do a little work so we have more time to do things on the weekend.

Empty dishwasher
Take out trash and recycling
Gather dirty clothes
Clean room
Vacuum
Cook lunch

laundry, taking care of the dogs, dishes, sweeping, swiffer mop the floors,pick ip trash in and outside the house and take trash out…i have a 12 and 10 year old and they spilt the chores even… clean room is more of like you gotta do it and not a chore

Mine so their own laundry, alternate cleaning restrooms, empty the dishwasher, clean and organize their own rooms, and pack their own lunch for school.

Laundry, dishes, vacuum, dust, clean up doggy poop, make smaller easy to do meals, wash cars, clean bathrooms. If they can physically do it then it’s up to you to decide if they are mature enough to do it.
My kiddos have chores they do every day…they are 7 and 12 yrs old. I also give them weekly chores.
They get a weekly allowance to do those chores. If they don’t do them, they don’t get paid, if they do a poor job, they get only a small portion of their allowance.

My 8yr old makes sure our animals have water (we do the food), takes dishes to sink after meals, picks up after himself and baby brother. Will entertain his brother while I’m doing stuff around the house, folds towels when asked, and let’s the dogs out.

My 10 year old son is responsible for making his bed and keeping his area of his room clean. Him and his 15 year old brother are responsible for their laundry. Same with 2 of my daughters our baby girl is too young for chores. There is 7 people in our home. All 6 of us work together on household chores. We all live here so we are all responsible to keep it clean.

2 Likes

At that age my kids all did dishes, vacuumed, swept, washed n dried laundry (I fold) they put it away, cleaned bathrooms. They were capable of any chores assigned to them. Chores rotated so they didn’t/don’t do the same thing everyday. They are now 12, 14, 21 and 28. Teach responsibility early. Both my adult kids are home owners, work in management positions and raising families of their own.

1 Like

My 9 year old boys load and unload the dishwasher, take out trash, help with their laundry and put theirs away. They do more but those are their weekly must-do chores:)

I have a boy 11 and a girl 9. My son takes out the trash, my daughter takes care of the cat. They both are in charge of cleaning their rooms including the dusting, organizing, and vacuuming. They put away their laundry and they do the dishes 6 days a week. Yes it seems like a lot, but they do get allowance every week. This has taught them the concept of money and how it is earned. They are also learning responsibility. I’m hoping that when they are grown and have their own places they will understand how to take care of them. They also help with other little things around the house when they want to. My son will also go out and help the neighbor kids clean the sidewalks and put salt down in the winter. My daughter occasionally helps me and their step father do the laundry. The chores can keep them busy, help them learn essential life skills, along with giving us time together without a screen involved.

Bring in wood and haul water

My 6yr old is in charge of wiping down the table after every meal, and my almost 9yr old is taking out the trash and doing dishes