What clothing should I get my newborn?

I’m having my first baby soon… And I feel so overwhelmed like there just seems like so much to do and get. So could mommies out there give me a breakdown on how much clothing to get for a newborn (like how many body vests, growers etc) and how much of 0-3 months for now…

3 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What clothing should I get my newborn? - Mamas Uncut

My son stayed 0-3 for so long, 6months at 6-7months.

My daughter’s barely 1 month. By 2months she was in 6month clothing.

Its hard to judge :sweat_smile:

Get some sleepers and a few sizes and by as you go for extra!

Whatever you do don’t worry about buying a bunch and, for the love of your sanity, avoid snaps and buttons. My babies had dresser fulls and we didn’t use even half them. I had small babies and didn’t even have them in newborn clothes long at all, so I’d say practical 0-3 months stuff depending on where you live. If its going to be really hot lots of onsies and little outfits with a few sleepers. If it’s colder then more sleepers. Outfits are cute and all but lets face it, most babies don’t wear the majority of the clothes lol mine were either in sleepers or onsies

Onesies. Then when it gets cold, footies with zippers. I have 5 kids, a lot of outfits are just impractical. No dresses when they are crawling unless you enjoy watching them trip over :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Woman have been having children for thousands of years. I’m sure your going to be okay

F** buttons!
And usually nb lasts for a day :rofl: 0-3 months will last u longer and more worth your money

Grab 3-5 sleepers in newborn its easier at that stage. They might even skip newborn sizing

I get mostly 0-3 months because they’re usually in them longer. In NB clothes, if the baby is a summer baby, get two or three wearable blankets and/or sleepers (because most people keep the air on), 10-15 onesies, and a couple cute outfits. A pack of socks. Summer is hot, they mess onesies up but otherwise you won’t need a lot to keep them warm. Winter babies need a bit more. Zippers are definitely better than snaps or buttons. Go to second hand stores or look on marketplace though because there’s honestly no sense in spending a bunch of money on clothes they’re going to wear for like a month, tops. A huge number of baby clothes being resold or given away have never even been worn because people have SO MANY that the kids can’t even wear them all before they grow out of them. I had baby girl clothes coming out of every orifice because with both girls people piled them on even though we had plenty after the first. When I was going through them to sell/donate it was crazy the amount of them that were never worn by my kids at all. And I have given half of them away before I even had the second girl.

Okay several onesies, small bottles, bottle and nipple brush, purified water or baby water if bottle feeding, pacifier prolly 3 in case you lose one, diapers 1 and 2 (if healthy) cause baby will grow fast…don’t buy too much clothes that’s one size. Think ahead…in 6 months it’s going to be cold so when you can start getting onesies and long sleeves in couple months…( no clue when baby is born) hats…like beenie hats or summer hats for now…blankets!!! Plenty of the little thin blankets…can come in handy to unexpected diaper change, not too thick to cover up in a.c, sun blocker when holding baby outside, ALWAYS prepare the diaper bag no matter of you think you are just going to be gone a few minutes. Alot can happen in a few minutes. Get temp checker… and a brush in case of cradle cap. Don’t overbuy…PM if need any advice. Mother of 3 here

Just stock up on clothes all sizes cause they grow over night and I always made sure I had size diapers stocked from nb -4’s everything else u will learn like what kind of bottles and binkys etc that they prefer and then stock up on them lots of footy pj’s for the beginning cause they live in them or at least my kids did depends on where u live

Babe dont over buy most things u buy u will never use. Have 14 of each like sleepers bibs one pieces blankets. Reason I say 14 is that gives u probably 4 days worth clothes max. So laundry is a must every 3to4days.

Don’t buy a lot cause they grow fast buy more diapers than anything all 3 of my children grew fast they will be in newborn then up just get a couple of each congratulations on your new baby

They grow so fast! Half my littles clothes were never touched. We lived in sleepers or onesies. And a great tip. If you have a kid to kid or once upon a child near by I always exchanged clothes for store credit when he grew out of stuff. Between hand me downs and baby shower I’ve barely spent any money on clothes myself and he’s almost two now

If summer, onesies are a necessity, winter footed sleepers, burp clothes, some blankets, socks and if needed mittens (little hand sacks) to keep them from scratching themselves (little fingernails are sharp). In the first month or so you really don’t need much more. I wouldn’t buy much more at first. They grow so fast of you have to much they won’t get a chance to wear it. But mostly have fun! You will know when you need more.

1 Like

Look for consignment or thrift deals!!! Maybe get a couple nice things but it’s not worth buying new…

Also make sure you take care of you so you can be best for baby. Eat good, rest when can, pack you the most comfortable, loose pjs or something soft for when you come home. Worst pain is after the baby is born. Breathe moma!!

Honestly in my opinion i would buy about twenty outfits newborn and twenty outfits 0-3 month but all of my kids went home wearing preemie size even my 7 month old who was born weighing a lil over 8 pounds was still in preemie when we left the hospital and he was 20 inches long my daugther stayed in premmie clothes for about four months she was born 6 pounds even 21 inches and my almost three year old was born a lil over 7 pounds was 22 inches wore preemie clothes for about 5 weeks it all will depend on your child and what fits them best with infants you dont want something to loose or to snug

Best advance I got…AVOID buttons. Zippers are your friend. Or the onesies with the tie at the bottom are my go to.

5 Likes

I made the mistake of thinking my daughter was going to be way bigger than she was and didn’t buy any newborn stuff. Kid wasn’t even 7 lbs :joy:

It depends on how big the baby is when he’s born because newborn clothes is up to 9-10lbs. If he’s a small baby you will need maybe 15 onesies and outfits for newborn and the same for 0-3. You don’t need a lot of clothes for babies because they do grow fast. My baby will be 2 months next week and is already outgrowing some of his 0-3. Onesies is the way to go. Socks and onesies with the zipper if it’s cold in the house or outside.

Anything that zips. I used mostly sleep sacks at first bc they’re super easy, especially after a C-Section