What could be causing my 7-month-olds cough?

So if you’re smoking now, you probably smoked when you were pregnant. But “wHy Is My BaBy CoUgHiNg” you CANNOT fix this level of stupid! Not even with duct tape!

Try smoking outside & change clothes.

:woman_facepalming:t2: Some people shouldnt be allowed to have kids if this basic knowledge is to hard for them to just understand without a doctor telling. But no When its Told, just dont believe it! Pls stop having more kids

You should definitely be smoking outside! The smell is still going to enter your home an effect your baby!

Secondhand smokes is worse than actually smoking the cigarette. He’s not getting better because of the smoke.

Stop smoking. If you care about your child as much as you say you do, then let you child and your child’s health be the motivating factor for you to stop smoking.

Smoke OUTSIDE!! Then come inside, change your clothes, wash your face, hands and arms.

You know the exact answer to this.

It’s you smoking even if a door or window is opened its still there and on you.

So it’s either ur baby that’s in jeopardy or ur smoking ? What’s more important ? & just because u have things open there’s still 2nd hand smoke common sense here sorry just angry bout this post go outside & smoke which should be a 2nd thing & ur baby 1st

Take your butt out side to smoke or quit. Opening a window ain’t doing nothing. This from a adult now who’s parents smoked with " the windows open" I remember being asleep on the couch and woke up and couldn’t breathe it was like I was in a bar. You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking a window helps. Why would you think a window open helps? Take y’all butts out side that baby doesn’t have a choice​:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Stop smoking already. Get that $hit outside and change your clothes when done. YOU guys are the problem. And this is coming from someone who dealt with parents like you.

You smoke inside? You do realise that even with the doors and windows open, second hand smoke is still dangerous right? Either smoke outside and wash your hands and change your clothes (or get a smoking jacket), or give up so you’re not putting your babies health at risk.

Find a new doctor but also wtf are you thinking smoking around d your child?! Opening a door or window does nothing. Go outside to smoke and keep it away from your kid and be a responsible parent :unamused:

Stop smoking in the house that your baby lives in. I’m not judging. I smoked but NEVER in the house that my babies live/live in.

Question is. Smoking or the safety of your child

U need to smoke outside away from the house with all the doors n windows closed and when u come inside u need to wash ur hands n face. And even ur shirt. I am a smoker and I know ppl who smoke around there kids n the house and cars and their kids have coughs that won’t go away . It’s the smoke that’s messing ur son up .

Yes the smoke does not help but there are things you can change to deal with that problem like washing hands changing clothes only one parent go outside at a time and shut doors behind you.
Get a different doctor. Ask for the baby to be tested for COVID INFLUENZA a and b and RSV it is a one swab test. Really there can’t be any medicine givin for these they have to run their course. Our doctor told us that we could give cough medicine I’ll try to find a picture of what we used.

If you’re smoking inside even with a windows or door open the smoke permeates n sticks to everything.

So your clothing and yourself os full of smoke! So when you pick up your child , all the smoke on your clothes, the child inhales

it’s from smoking indoors with an infant. Stop. Seriously, stop.

Quit. Smoking. In. Your. House.

Period. Point blank.

Be respectful.

Opening the door or window and being “near there” is never going to be enough.

And even then it sticks to you and your clothes.
The doctor gave you an answer you just don’t like it

Smoking in the house, even with a window or door open is your problem. Stop it.

Opening a window or a door and smoking by it doesn’t do anything to help… second and third hand smoke is horrible especially for babies… so if you give a crap about your kid, stop smoking.
Second, stop the juice. Give baby water, a 7 month old doesn’t need juice, and only 2-3oz of water a day tops.

Why are you smoking in your house with a baby? If you cared you’d take it outside especially considering the condition he’s in with his coughing ffs it’s not rocket science!!!

Go to a different doctor . Make sure it’s not rsv since that is dangerous for a baby. Also could be coup if they have a temp . Get a second opinion

Not sugar coating it but are you seriously thinking that your baby’s cough isn’t caused by cigarette smell?? Smoking inside your place even with the door and window open is still very much harmful to your BABY. You want to continue to smoke? GO OUTSIDE, close the door AND windows. Second hand smoke is still dangerous ESPECIALLY to babies.

Just stop smoking cigarettes. 2nd hand smoke is just as bad and if you’re smoking inside with just windows open, that’s even worse. Go outside with the doors and windows shut to smoke. :woman_facepalming:t2:

Is this a troll post, fr?
Because you can’t be serious.

Pediatricians will not prescribe cough medicine for infants as it can cause pneumonia. Try this Zarbees all natural cough medicine. It will help the infants cough. You can also run a humidifier to help ease the cough. It could be allergies. Your baby can be prescribed Claritin. Hope your baby gets well soon. Baby Cough Syrup + Immune with Agave | Zarbee’s®

Get the baby tested for rsv .don’t smoke that’s so bad for the baby. Also if your breastfeeding what goes into your system goes into the baby when the baby nurses. Also a 7 month old should not be given juice.

This is a joke right? This whole post is a joke. right?
Because there is no way that someone thinks that smoking inside the house near an open window is sufficient to remove that secondhand smoke
Because there is no way that after writing out that post, someone is still unsure why their baby has a cough.
Because there is also no way a 7 month old is being given juice

Why the hell would you smoke cigarettes around your baby and than ask such an asinine question. Covid and RSV worry you, but not the effect of smoking near your baby. That’s wild…

I can say that I doubt it’s from the smoke. I smoked around all my kids outside and have smoked inside as well and in the car and none of them cough or anything like that. But try to transfer smoking outside and see if that helps. Kids lungs could not be able to handle it like a lot of kids. Was your baby premature? Lungs fully developed when baby was born? I would take the baby to the ER and have it checked for rsv. Doctor sounds like a douche just completely against smoking period. I’d find a new doctor tbh

Go outside. Why would you smoke in your house with an infant.

The smell lingers on all your clothing and entire house. Second hand smoke kills.

Dr probably right just because you open a few windows and door won’t help then you also have that smoke on your clothing. Second hand smoke dangerous especially with a baby with a weak immune system!

Some children are extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke. Sorry to say but you are the reason your child is sick and most likely will continue to always have a terrible cough. Quit smoking or atleast go outside and don’t smoke around your child . Stop breastfeeding immediately if you smoke as well and start your child on formula. When you have a child, it isn’t about you and your needs or wants. Your child’s health is decreasing because of your poor choices. Please educate yourself and do better.

Also, the aerosols released vaping are dangerous as well

Well smoking I. Ur house with windows d door open will not work how terrible for the baby to catch a cold go smoke outside for you baby sake and health …

There’s a lot of things

1. pneumonia
  2. lung irritation from the smoking around your infant
  3. bacterial or viral infection
  4. rsv
  5. allergies
  6. bronchitis
  7. croup
    8 )Covid
  8. influenza a b or c
  9. his ears or nasal are draining into the back of this throat

Also why are you breastfeeding your infant when you have nicotine in your system because it can pass to your baby thru your breast milk.

There’s so many reasons on what can cause the infant a cough but you as their parent are being neglectful since you’ve been told to stop smoking around the child! As someone who’s a smoker and a parent if there’s a baby in the vehicle or even near me I’m not going to expose them to the cigarette smoke.

You can try a hot shower running and sitting on the floor with baby in the bathroom with door shut and blocked off with a towel by the door and sit in there for 10-15 minutes.

Fresh clean air can definitely help also

Air out your entire house and get one of those air purifiers for you can at least get some of the nicotine smell out of the house. Please stop smoking around the baby and definitely do not breastfeed the poor thing if you’re going to continue smoking

Why are you smoking inside?! Go outside and smoke.

1 Like

If you’re a smoker and you’re around babies even if you’re not smoking in the same room they will be affected. Smoke stays on your clothes too. I think you should listen to your doctor about this.

I got a dresser from a smoker, put it in my son’s room and he ended up so sick after a day. I didn’t know the people smoked and didn’t realize how bad 3rd hand smoke is. I was able to air it, clean it, and work hard to get the dripping nicotine off. I couldn’t imagine not changing my clothes or not smoking outside… even when I stop by my mother’s house, I change my clothes and take a shower. It clings.

Smoke outside.
Switch to vaping. :joy:

Here’s a thought STOP :clap: SMOKING :clap: AROUND :clap: THAT :clap: BABY

My aunt used to smoke outside and come inside change her clothes and wash her face and hands her son had asthma maybe that will help.
Another thing that comes to mind is mold, check the house for sure, it could be where you can’t see it. And yes you cannot give them meds but they do sell baby bath vaporizer, a humidifier, and also steam the bathroom up and put a towel under the door and hang out in there 10-15 mins.
You may also need to deep clean the house from the smoke that means cleaning everything- shampooing carpets, wiping all walls and surfaces, literally everything. Hope baby feels better.

I just can’t with this one!! :roll_eyes::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

When my 13 year old was little we let my uncle smoke in the basement until he started coughing all the time then we said no more of that anyone wants to smoke they gotta go outside and he hasn’t had any problems since

Stop smoking for the sake of your child period…also don’t smoke in the house…if you’re breastfeeding hunni you shouldn’t br smoking…

Definitely start smoking outside. And always wash your hands afterwards before touching your baby. They make homeopathic cough medicine for babies you can try. Also get a humidifier. Also raise the end of his crib that he sleeps at so it’s on an incline when he sleeps.

Urgent care or e.r. u need a different opinion

Well your doctor is right, there’s nothing you can give a 7 month old for a cough, but you can use a vaporizer in his room, not to mention your baby doesn’t need juice at 7 months old either, and secondhand smoke is real so your doctor is also right about that. Not here to mom shame but y’all’s smoking ain’t more important than that baby’s life. Take that crap outside. The smoke sticks to the walls and kids toys and literally everything in your house. Everything that baby touches has smoke on it. Even his clothes.

My son has virus-induced asthma and viruses hit him very hard and he has a dry, barky cough for a long time after starting an illness. If the cough is dry, I would push for asthma treatments for baby. Also, the #1 thing we have been asked by every single doctor is if we smoke. We don’t, but that seems to be the first stop on investigating what’s causing the cough…so if I were you I’d stop it completely so you can find the root cause faster. Could be mold, could be allergies, could be that viruses take a hard toll, and/or smoke could be contributing even though you’re careful…but by cutting it entirely you’ll get to the root cause faster. And second or third opinions always help. Simply saying there’s nothing to do for a baby cough is not the answer. It took a lot of pushing but my son sees a pulmonologist now.

Talk about denial!! My 11 and 8 year old could tell you what is wrong with your baby, and your doctor already has. Listen to them! SMH

You’ve already been rebuked for your smoking so I’m not going to go there…see if you can get a referral to a pediatric GI and check for reflux

This is such a sensitive topic for me. I will try my best not to stray.

I deleted what I originally written.

Your baby has been earth side for 7 months. It’s the time of year when we know we get sick more for so many reasons. Especially a baby who can’t fight of illnesses like we can. Coughs are known to linger for weeks.

Cigarettes are known for lung cancer , throat cancer and all kinds of things… and just plain nasty smelling. (I used to smoke and my whole family smokes so don’t come for me, they don’t smell good)

Anyways- the second hand and third hand smoke are NOT helping so at that point, I feel like it’s a no brainer to just smoke completely OUTSIDE your home, nowhere near the inside. You can be cold and uncomfortable to smoke. The trade off is pretty great as a parent. Quiet time and you’re not putting baby’s health at risk.

You need to smoke only outside of the house AND CAR! better off to quit for you and your child! Second hand smoke is worse than smoking for babies!

It’s is this stupid flu going around

You’re a joke. Like I can’t even say anything else about this topic . Stop smoking in your house around your baby, it’s not rocket science .

1 Like

You probably smoked while pregnant too huh ?
Airing out smoke is not ok
Poor baby !

Just because you don’t smoke around baby doesn’t mean the smell on your clothes doesn’t bother baby . And if your smoking in the house it’s effecting baby doesn’t matter if windows are open or not .Also if you smoke in car even if baby isn’t in there at the time that can be an issue too. It could be a virus and coughs can take along time to get rid of typically 4-6 weeks depending. Also remember that baby may take longer to get rid of cough bc baby doesn’t have immunity like others do yet but to ease your mind you could bring him in to get a second opinion. Hoping your son gets some relief soon I know it’s never fun seeing little ones sick or hurt.

Smoke outside goodness. I believe scientists have proven again and again why your baby is coughing. The doctor won’t give it anything because he’s not sick
If you put antibiotics in someone not sick it kills the good bacteria in their body. Do your kiddo a favor and stop filling his lungs with poison smoke and I bet they feel much better.