What did you do when waiting for engagement?

Me and my boyfriend have been engaged for 17 years now. :rofl: we are in no hurry.

I was with my husband for 8 years before we got married. Were engaged for a year. He was never big on the idea of marriage. Ended up being a joint agreement lol

Threatened to leave. We were engaged 2 weeks later. :woman_shrugging:t2: it was on our 3.5 years. Been together 7 in October.

Why not have a talk with him like an adult instead of “doing things” or sending subliminal messages to him?

Why get married… I will never understand that… You’re living together… Why the hell do you need a damn ring.

It took mine a long time but we met when we were 12 and married when we were 29. He wanted to make sure I had the perfect ring and enough money for our wedding. It is a beautiful ring and we had an amazing wedding. I’m glad I waited for my King.

1 Like

We went on our first date February 20. Engaged April 9. Married September 11. And here we are going on 27 years later. He is truly my soul mate.

If he hasn’t asked you to marry him in the last 4 years, he isn’t going to. Either ask him to marry you or give him an ultimatum.

No lie…I walked around the house humming the song “here comes the bride”…code word: humming…it starts to stick in their head, it actually worked

Wait… Google told you needed to be engaged and you just decided based on that?

Why do you feel its time? Is there a particular reason you have to be married to maintain the relationship?

Why not just ask him to marry you?

1 Like

Never waited for it. I guess i never wanted to get married. But i know i for a fact that I would never put pressure on my spouse if i really wanted to get engaged. I would want him to want to do it on his own.
My husband asked me to marry him within a year of our relationship. I said yes but also made it known that i wanted to wait awhile till we got married. And i was ready about 5 years later. I just wasn’t ready but i definitely did wanna spend the rest of my life with him even if i wasnt ready to get married.

You mean anniversary?

I waited 8 years… was married for 3 and for divorced! Now I’m happy :ok_hand:t3:

It doesn’t take a man years to figure out if he plans on marrying you. That’s how some men can be with a woman and never marry for 10+ years, have several children but meet and marry the next woman in under a year. Don’t waste your time if marriage is your goal.

1 Like

A whole lot of cussing #6yearsandababy :joy: it was worth the wait…we have been married for 7

It took us 4.5 years to get engaged, and it was worth the wait for us. We had a lot to work through together before we knew if we could make it last, and we did. We celebrated 3 years married, 8 together in January an have 2 great kids.

It all depends on what you feel the hold up is

My son is dragging his feet, I want to smack him!!! Lol he promises me September :crossed_fingers:t2:

We were engaged months into dating but we have been friends for years. We are waiting on to get married for financial reasons.

After two years you got to know other wise find another guy :+1:

We met Feb 12, engaged March 6 & married May 28. We have been married 15 yrs with 2 sons

6.5 years and counting plus kids

I met my husband in August 2001. Got engaged in December 2002. Got married in December 2013.

7 years and 2 kids and still no ring :woman_shrugging:

My husband proposed at 6 years

Let him know I was moving out if I wasn’t engaged within 3 years💁🏾‍♀️

By 4 years tho I would think he would know

I started dropping HEAVY hints lmao.

Getting married after 16 years

Pfff I waited almost 16 years

I wasn’t really waiting

Lol! Whaaaat?? I’ve never heard of this.

If you want to be married there isn’t anything wrong with that. You don’t even have to justify why. But I promise you that you want to be married to a man who wants to be married to you so if that’s something you want and he doesn’t then you both need to re-evaluate the relationship.

1 Like

Hmmm don’t know for now till someone else cums my way again

You decide how long you wait. Have you asked yourself honest questions and kept your answer real? 1. Has he ever mentioned marrying you or is he satisfied with the way things are? Are you living together where he has all the benefits of a wife and none of the responsibilities? Are you making yourself available every single time he wants to see you so he never has to or gets to miss being with you because your so accessible? Do you want to get married or do you want to marry him? Have you made your desires clear to him or expected him to read your mind? Just something’s to think about.

We got together 5/10, had our first 4/11 our second 9/13 engaged 2/14, married 5/17 had our 3rd baby 11/19… all depends on you guys… everyone is different

9 years together next month and 2 kids together… one that went through cancer, Which sometimes tears relationships apart, my oldest asks me all the time why my last name isn’t the same as daddy’s and sissy’s… sucks. We’ve talked about it and he thinks “it’s just a piece of paper”… I feel like I’m in the same situation. I would love some feed back bc sometimes I don’t know what to think.

6 Likes

Im still waiting…we’ve been together 13 years with a 10 year old daughter.
Stick to your guns if marriage is something you want. Don’t accept excuses, broken promises, attempts to buy time or “baby I really want to’s” or you’ll end up like me, let down, resentful and feeling dumb for allowing it.

2 Likes

Ummm sooo yeah. You can’t rush a man to do anything. When his ready he’ll do it. It’s just a wait game. But don’t stay around n be stupid forever girl. Mention it to him also. Connection is key

3 Likes

I feel there is no time limit if it feels right it will happen I met my husband in the September we were engaged in the October and married in the December all in the same year and we have been married 14 years with a 12 year old son if you feel your ready and it’s bothering you then ask him we’re he’s at if he feels the same great if he’s not don’t be upset we are all different and some need more time I wish you luck and happiness

I started dating my husband in high school. We made it through my college years and moved in together less than a year after my graduation. I told him if he didn’t know by the time our lease was up he’d never know. 9 months later he proposed. We’ve been together 24 years and married for 16 of them

We’re going on 6 years in August… & I’m currently pregnant with his first, planned​:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. I have a 9 year old he’s helped me raise since he was 3. We talk about it all the time. He’s even had my finger measured… but nothing yet :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I met my husband at 30. He said we had to date 3 years live together 3 years be engaged 1 years and ve married for 2 years before having kids. I said we don’t have time for all that :joy: six years later we have been living together for 5 and married for 1. Working on the baby :grin:

If he hasn’t asked by now, your not the one.

3 Likes

I fell pregnant after being with my other half for 4.5 months, when I told him he asked if I wanted to get married, I told him he must not marry me because I’m pregnant, but ask me when he is ready for it and knows for sure he wants to spend the rest of his life with me (we both come from separated homes) on our 5 year anniversary he booked us a hotel to just relax and spend time together he took me out for supper, we went back to the hotel and he had my entire family and closest friends there so they could see us get engaged, i had no idea what was happening i sat there stunned and they all were shouting for me to day yes, ao I said yes and everyone cheered, then they asked why he didn’t do it sooner, so he said “she said no to me the first time, so I had to make it extra special and I couldn’t decide on the ring, so it took me 2 years to finally have the perfect ring made so she would say yes and I needed everyone to be around so she wouldn’t say no” :rofl: it was hilarious and the perfect moment, and he is not a very social person, he gets so nervous around people but he got down on one knee infront of everyone and asked me to be his wife…we will be getting married this year October, in August we will be together 7 years. I nagged him all the time that I wanted to be married so badly because I knew I found my soul mate, he just waited to make it absolutely perfect! When we got back to our hotel room there was rose petals everywhere! He had organized with the hotel staff to distract me and to do everything when I wasn’t looking :joy: but I must admit, I did say no the first time, so I couldn’t blame him from being scared to do it again​:see_no_evil:
You just need to make sure that you are both on the same page and want the same things.

My husband proposed to me after dating for 1 month. We got married a year later… We’ve been married for almost 8 years and have 3 beautiful daughter’s.
I don’t think you should make someone proposed to you. They should want to marry you and propose on their own.
And no I wasn’t pregnant. We had our first daughter almost 2 years after we got married since I was finishing college.

We got engaged after two years of being together, and then had 3 kids and now saving for a house, 11 years later and still no marriage, not really rushing it either, we are just a family that loves vacations to much.

I think women want to be validated. We want to be “worthy” of being asked.
I say fuck that.
We are worth regardless of anyone asking us to be.
Also–for some–marriage is not the end goal. All those things it takes to keep a relationship together have nothing to do with a legal contract.

He knocked me up after a few years in the relationship. We had already lived together by then, so I told him, get married or get out, you got 8 months to figure it out. He did6nt propose though. He just ageeed and I set the appointment at the court house. 11 years and I’m still waiting on the proposal. lol :woman_shrugging::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Tell him you want to be engaged in the next year and if he isn’t prepared to propose, you need to know so you can move on… or you can buy him a ring and propose to him, or buy yourself one and propose he put it on you… or you can go to karaoke and sing him “Single Ladies” until he gets the hint.
Idk why y’all just wait. Give an ultimatum. If he doesn’t do what needs to be done, make it happen or leave. It’s not hard. Write your own story, ladies. If you let someone else write it for you, you have no room to complain if you don’t like how it reads.

My husband and I began dating when I was 18 and he was 20. We always agreed that we both wanted to be married but we were together about 7 years before we were engaged. Weddings are expensive and once you’re engaged the pressure sets in to start planning. I definitely didn’t want to be that person that’s engaged and waits years to get married, or never actually gets married. Of course I wanted to get married sooner but I am happy it happened when we were both ready. I think the main concern should be both being on the same page for your life goals.

Four years…

he isnt planning on doing shiit. He just told youvwhat you wanted to hear

If he can’t take a hint the FBI will shove it in his face.

3 Likes

My boyfriend proposed the day he first met me in person. Cant imagine waiting … Years… Weird.

??? 20some years ago I just dated my boyfriend, we had fun together, did lots of things, and I overall enjoyed him… waiting??? Seems off.