What do I need tio know about being a single mom

Those who have went from being stay at home moms to single moms … any tips? What to prepare for , easy thing to budget , stuff to remember. Not how i ever planned my life or my sons life and i can’t help but keep thinking he deserves better then to be put through this so i feel i want to make it easy as possible.

11 Likes

I have always worked and taken care of my kids 24.7 occasions they will see there dad and dads side don’t pressure your self as long as you love your child unconditionally have patience you are going to be fine is my best advice live and learn don’t know - ur situation you sound a little scared all will be fine!

2 Likes

One day at a time and don’t put too much pressure on yourself. We always think our kids deserve better than we can give them but really what they NEED is happy healthy mom so let things come and go as they will

1 Like

Just do your best I’m a single mother and believe me in a lot of ways it’s so much easier,

Love unconditionally. Don’t speak negatively about the other parent in front of the kiddo. apologize sincerely when you’ve lost your patience or temper. Don’t over stress/over think about finances if there is nothing you can do about it in the moment. That one took me a few years to realize. Breathe & just Take it one day at a time :blue_heart:hugs.
Best of luck!

2 Likes

Your motherly instincts will kick in and you will know exactly what to do. Don’t ever doubt yourself or feel sorry for yourself. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to be a widow at 32 with a 3 year old, but we survived. And he is now a healthy, happy 26 year old

You will need a break. If you have family or friends, don’t be afraid to reach out for them to watch your son. No shame in asking for a break. Good luck

1 Like

Save money and be healthier eating at home, fixing your own food—it doesn’t have to be complicated: Frozen pizza is almost always cheaper than delivery.

Buy clothes at thrift stores, or exchanges especially for babies who outgrow their clothes in the blink of an eye. Eat more vegetarian meals. Meat is expensive, and if you’re in America, bad for you and really bad for the planet.

Set up safe places for baby around the house: crib, playpen, swing, so you can get stuff done occasionally. Set the laundry to run overnight and toss it in the dryer while you’re doing your morning routine. If you go out to do laundry, use a big laundromat and run several loads at a time.

When you go to work, get all dressed etc. except for the outer layer. Put a housecoat on until you’re ready to walk out the door so your “good” clothes don’t get full of various baby glop.

Keep expanding your friends, family, and “family.” You will need all the help you can get. Lower your housekeeping standards. Take shortcuts. Get an easy hair style. Skip fancy nails, most jewelry, develop routines. Sleep whenever you get a chance. Sleep deprivation makes everything worse.

Unless someone calls CPS on you, you’re probably doing better than most parents. Believe in yourself. Babies need nourishment, clean diapers, shelter/warmth, & lots of love. Anything else is extra.