What do I need to know when hiring a babysitter?

I’ve recently had to look for a part-time babysitter for my 3 yr old. I’m working from home and can’t really give the attention I need to. So I’ll be home while the sitter is there…only a few hours a day 2-3 days a week. So I wanted to know what is procedure you all follow when hiring a babysitter? Do they fill out an app? Is there a written agreement or just a verbal agreement? Sign off when paying in cash? Independent background check? Please let me, I’m new to this, but I’m not naive, and I don’t play games when it comes to my child. Thanks!

10 Likes

Background check
Have it in writing what your paying etc

1 Like

Try care.com for some help (they consolidate background check info, references, tax forms, etc) if you live in a more highly populated area. They also have articles addressinf some of your questions.

1 Like

I’d do a background check and check references. Also a written contract

2 Likes

Nanny cams. Y’all can hate if you want but people are NOT who they seem. Tell them your recording. Have them fill out an application, get references, background check, have them meet your child first before they start babysitting.

15 Likes

I only do people I know or people I know who use someone. So by referral only. Right now my 5year old has an awesome sitter!

2 Likes

Always get the agreement in writing that way there is no problems

1 Like

I would not stay right at home while working if I had the sitter. Not because I don’t want to see my child. However much I love my children, when I need to work I need alone time. I’ve been on both sides of this…i was a nanny for a few years for 2 little girls and when mom worked at home the girls would still want and talk to their mommy. I’ve also been the mom with the sitter while trying to do yard work and landscapes and what a ya know my kids were right there helping their mama put in landscape while I paid a sitter to stand by and watch us work. If you can work from the library, your back yard or someplace your child doesn’t sée you because if they do there’s nothing in the world that can keep them from wanting mama. Hide while you work lol

2 Likes

References
Background check
Cell phone incase she wants to take them to park or etc.
Nanny cam of some sort.
Meet an greet with children.

As a babysitter, I want to protect myself as well as the parents. I make a written agreement and have it notarized. I set up a meeting with the parents so they can get to know me and I them. If it makes them comfortable, I allow them to come to my home so they know what environment their children are in. I provide references and meet the child before to make sure we are a good fit. However, most of the time I only babysit children I know

Dont hire a 15-17 year old, nanny cams, background checks, call your local CPS office as well to make sure they had no cases before.

Some areas provide a certificate for completing a course of study about child care.

Before I was a mama I worked as a babysitter from 15 years old and up. Some general notes:

• set up a face to face meeting or lunch to discuss- do not have an application, ask for resume or CARE profile
• ask about certifications- cpr/first aid certified?
• pay rate should be disclosed before you even get started- some sitters like hourly, some like salary, you want to increase pay rate for certifications or if schedule is not consistent.
• pay date- when can they expect to be paid? Weekly? Daily? Monthly? I will say most nanny’s require weekly.
• responsibilities- what do you expect of them? Are they to clean? cook? On call?
• requirements- Do they have a license in case of emergency? Have they been in any accidents before? Do they have a cell phone in case of emergency?
• history of babysitting- do they have experience with the age of child?
• references- call people they’ve babysat for

I would not do a contract or written agreement. This person will be spending a lot of time with your little one and I’d try to keep it very casual and friendly. A contract will never be necessary or come in handy, and likely, a sitter is only looking for something temporarily (like for the summer). If you feel like you need to do a background check on the person you’ve met, you already know the answer. You could provide signed receipts for each payment if cash.

2 Likes