What do I say to my 2-year-old when she asks about her dad not being around?

Hey mommas… how do I answer a two-year-old when she asks for her dad not knowing he’s not around anymore? Long story short, he has some depression issues and drinks excessively, not making time for her. ( drinking when he knows he’s to take her ) So I am cutting him completely till he gets help. It breaks my heart when she asks for him. No negative comments, please.

12 Likes

Just tell her daddy is sick and needs to get better before he can come see her.

7 Likes

Tell her daddy isn’t healthy right now and you’re not sure when he will be healthy, but when he is youre sure that the first thing he will want to do is see her :heartpulse:

5 Likes

Say daddy isn’t feeling well and we are giving him time to get better.

5 Likes

Say daddy isn’t feeling well like they said but I’m pretty sure taking his kid away from him is going to make him way worse. :confused:

3 Likes

What they said.^ don’t make up a complex story. They don’t trust us when we do that…if they keep asking, just reassure your little one that they are doing their best

3 Likes

She’s two. Lol. You say daddy’s at work.

7 Likes

I still tell mine but they are a bit older that dad must be busy working

2 Likes

Just love your child with all ur being and explain that daddy’s sick right now.
My husband left me and our four year old in February. I don’t speak ill of him but I don’t talk him up either. If she asks for him,I text him and if responds he can talk to her if not,we move on and I hold her thru tears

4 Likes

Keep your child safe !!!

2 Likes

I told my 2 year old he’s on a trip to get better and that he loves her and misses her

1 Like

“Daddy is away right now, but let’s pray for him, okay?”

I have a toddler who’s father committed suicide when she was 2.5 months…
She’s 4 years old now and does ask and has been asking. It’s normal.

It ain’t the same situation as yours, but they’re little and won’t truly understand until they’re much older. By God’s grace, I pray that the dad does choose life… family…health and restoration.

5 Likes

She’s 2 so saying he’s sick might worry her. Just say he can’t see her right now, hug her if she’s sad and move on. She’s too young to understand the kind of sick he is.

1 Like

Ive been through this.
It took me 7 years what it took you to get. Good job!!! Be proud of yourself. Your doing the right thing.
The effects this same serinio had on my son.
I told my son daddy was sick. That "daddy has a sickness in his head, and the way you get therapy. Thats what daddy needs he loves you and its not your fault. and we need to take a break right now.
My son is also older hes alomst 6.
My advice would be tell her a simple version of that. Including her dad loves her and its not her fault.

2 Likes

I would just say hes working. I used that like till she was 5 then she got smart

1 Like

Just tell her he doesn’t feel good but he loves her very much and wishes he could be there. Eventually she will stop asking.

Daddy loves you very much. Buts he’s very sick and can’t be around right now, let’s make him a picture( you don’t have to mail it)

2 Likes

I had the same this with my daughter. We told her that her dad is working on himself and other things and when he’s ready to see you he’ll call us. And say that he loves her and it’s nothing she’s done. We had a therapist say don’t say he’s sick or they could start worrying to much.

Dada doesn’t feel good right now. Dada is napping. Dada is at work. Then redirect.

First of all I pray that he gets help. Secondly the best thing to say is that Daddy is making very bad choices right now and those choices prevent him from being able to take care of you and that he loves her but it’s your job as her mom to make sure you are always taken care of… that is until she gets older like 5-7 depending on her understanding of things and then you can go into more details on what decisions like drinking and driving( I pray he’ll have gotten help before then) and lastly but not leastly it’s wrong for you to completely keep the child from him because its going to make things FAR worse for him and your daughter will resent you for it not him. Don’t get me wrong it’s completely and totally understandable if you’re not allowing him to drive her while he is intoxicated. But there are ways you could allow him to see her and not put your daughters safety at risk.

1 Like

I would not necessarily stop all visitation but take him to court and get supervised visitation. Tell the baby daddy is sick right now and we can’t see him.

Tell her he is sick and has to stay away until he gets better.

I’m kind of going through that with my 2 and 4 year old but their dad just takes them when it’s convenient for him. It’s hard to explain to them why he isn’t around much so I just tell them that daddy has to work today you’ll see him soon! It’s hard but we can’t really change the situation!

I’ve just kept an open dialogue with my daughter in that I’ve raised her with the understanding that families come in all different types, and that there’s no single “right” way to be a family, and that it doesn’t mean that children are loved any less. Granted, this may be easier because she has no memory of life prior to my being a single mom, but I think its a healthy thing to instill in any child regardless. Try checking YouTube for some Sesame Street episodes that kind of touch on the same type of topics. Sometimes just seeing other kids/characters who are in similar situations can subconsciously make a kid accept that there’s nothing strange or wrong or “off” about the status of their own family. Even if you just respond to your baby with, “He can’t be here right now, but Mommy loves you sooo much and is so happy she gets to be here with you,” the biggest thing is to just constantly reinforce how loved the child is, so they don’t feel something is lacking with an absentee parent. At that age, you can’t explain actualities and villainizing the dad is never good, so for the time being, just try to emphasize the good. Hopefully, Dad will be in a better place when your kiddo is older, and then no significant damage will be done; if, sadly, that doesn’t become the case, your child will at least feel secure in knowing that they do have a present, loving parent and won’t feel anything is missing. Good luck!

1 Like

I personally am dealing with the same kind of thing. But the demon is drugs. My son is 4 and I believe in being age appropriate honest. Because I think although well meaning that white lies could affect the trust of the child when they get older. I tell my son that his father is making bad choices and be alone with him. I offer supervised visits at public locations with me present. And for him to see him with his father and stepmother. Unfortunately he doesn’t care to see him at all. But I always make sure my son knows he’s loved and that none of this is his fault

tell her the truth in kids languange

Children are very “simple minded” and adults usually over complicate things like this. Honesty is always the best policy so I’d say no to lying or stories. I’m not saying tell her everything but as long you answer their questions for the most part they’re okay with the answer. Personally I would just say something like “Daddy is trying to fix himself right now” or “Daddy isnt making good choices right now”. Also I would always keep a line of communication open for him, telephone I mean. Not force him to be a dad or put your child in harm’s way or anything but if he wants to call I’d let him. If she wants to call him I’d let her.

When my fiance and I split up, my daughter kept asking and I would just respond with “I love you” and change the subject… after a week or two she quit asking

Tell her daddy is very very sick and needs to get better first

Daddy isn’t making great choices at the moment.

Tell her daddy’s going on a long trip and he won’t back for while. No need to explain, she’s only 2.

Tell her Daddy will be gone on a long trip!!!

2 is young to try and understand why she can’t see her daddy. I would tell her daddy is busy working. I would give him supervised visits. Prove that he wants to be sober and go from there.

3 Likes

I understand not allowing her to be around him due to the drinking, but taking her completely away from him may push his depression even further. Why don’t you schedule play dates? Like go to the park & let them see each other there? I wouldn’t tell her so she doesn’t get disappointed if he doesn’t show, but leave the window open for him to do better. Unless he’s the type to show up drunk & then you’ve got to protect your girl at all cost.

6 Likes

^^^^ I agree, Daddy is sick and needs to get better before he sees you. Pray for daddy to get better.

2 Likes

Do supervised visitation!

Have her pray for him. Just do your best to explain that he’s sick and it’s not that he doesn’t want to see her. Have her color or draw pictures for him telling him to get well soon. I also think the play date idea is good too if he can do it sober.

1 Like

No negative comments? Really?

Just say he’s sick and hes gonna get better soon

Daddy isn’t feeling well right now and it might take a really long time for him to get better so you can see him. I know it hurts your feelings but daddy really needs to be better. Mommy knows you miss him. As soon as he’s better we can see him. Make sure you say a prayer for him.

13 Likes

I agree with Brandy maybe schedule a play day supervised

You can’t legally cut him out of her life. Doing supervised visitation would probably be best in this situation if he even wants to be apart of her life. I wouldn’t force anything but I also wouldn’t tell him he can’t see his daughter. And you always want to be honest with her.

1 Like