What do I say to my 3 year old that misses her dad?

What do you tell a three old that just started saying she misses her dad? He has been out of her life now for a little over a year

48 Likes

Acknowledge her feelings, understand them but try not to let her dwell on them. Remind her of all those people in her life that love her daily

5 Likes

I would just explain to her the reason she doesn’t see her dad as much as you can and think she will understand I know it will be hard but her kind of having an explanation might help

1 Like

I think also explaining that what ever happens or has happened, it isn’t her fault :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My daughter wasn’t three she was 6. She had cried for her dad whom she’d met at 4 and my husband went in. She said not you my dad. I went in and told her that when I’d learned I was pregnant her “dad” hadn’t wanted to be a part of her life and so I had gone on to build a life with her. She asked why I hadn’t told her before. She’s now 40 and I’m not sure she wonders. I guess I should ask.

Been here. Just listen and comfort her. If you can explain in 3 year old terms of why he is gone, then do so. But keep it age appropriate. They don’t seem to need deep answers just let her know it is not her fault and she didn’t have anything to do with it. But don’t lie. They remember this stuff and it isn’t what she needs right now.
Also. Talk to a therapist. And your child can go to one too. The therapist will be able to help with the explanation.

Validate her feelings. Explain we cannot control other’s actions. Lots of loves (cuddles, hugs, whatever her preference). Then distract with a favorite activity- dont let her stay there in that mental place… Help her find her happy place again.

Never lie. Never make excuses. Just be honest as possible for their age, let them know its okay to feel their feelings, then help them cope in a healthy way

12 Likes

That’s really sad bless her heart …just let her know that her daddy does love her but he is having issues right now … And let her know she has so many people round her that love and care for her . This breaks my heart

1 Like

When my daughter used to ask about her dad, (she’s never met him) I told her, “I’m sorry your dad isn’t around but you’re surrounded by people who love you! Like mommy, your grandparents, aunt and uncles.” After awhile she just stopped asking about someone who wasn’t there. Sorry she has to go through that.

7 Likes

Mayb explain we cant see daddy right now but her are some photos of daddy u can look at

3 Likes

Validate and redirect.

1 Like

Tell her it’s okay to feel that way and if she needs to talk about it she can.
Follow up with a list of all the people in her life that love her, maybe make some phone calls too.
It’s hard, you’ll get through it!
:heart:

1 Like

Message her dad maybe and ask what he is planning on doing, why he isn’t making the effort and that his daughter misses him.
Helping them reconnect might be an idea, if possible
Validate her feelings

2 Likes

Going through similar situations with my 4 year old. I just remind her that her daddy and all of us love her, and that he lives far, far away so it’s hard for him to come and see her. He used to call her every night, but now he only calls a couple of days out of the week and only talks for a minute, if even that. I have a bad feeling he won’t be coming back, but that’s a conversation for when she is older. They’re just too young to understand right now. ;(
Hang in there, momma❤

2 Likes

My daughter is 8 and hasn’t seen her bio dad in 3 years. There are times she still get sad. I tell her that I don’t why some people makes the choices they do, but it’s ok to be sad about it. On the bad days I tell her not to let her sadness control her day. His absence doesn’t define her life, the happy moments do.

5 Likes

Let her express how she feels. It’s okay to feel sad. Just be there to hold and love her. It will get easier over time. She’s grieving a loss and needs to be reassured that there is nothing wrong with how she is feeling. :two_hearts:

1 Like

I had the same problem with my daughter her dad denied her till 2 days before her first birthday then he got to having something to do with her but then he would start taking her to his girlfriend and leaving her there and then he didn’t have nothing to do with her again until she was over her teen years she would sit on my washer and dryer looking out the window and he lived right down the road his mom and everybody did and they would see her coming to the road when they would go by and they would gun the car to get by before she got out there it’s hard on a kid now she wants nothing to do with them really and he ended up in prison for life all I could do was let her sit back and see the person he was on her own I never stopped him from seeing her my son’s father we got divorced when he was two he never asked about his dad he just knew his dad was gone and never coming back I think it’s easier for boys than it is for girls

2 Likes

Try to explain in simple terms. I actually ended up getting my kids’ therapists as well. My daughter had seperation anxiety to the point where even getting rid of a broken toy would cause a meltdown. And my son would lie and tell everyone his daddy was dead. Therapy has helped a lot though. But definitely at the very least talk with her and comfort her.

1 Like

Talk with her and explain things to her. Kids understand more than you think. I’m going threw this with my son(actually my great nephew). Had him since birth due to parents being on drugs and homeless. His dad hasn’t seen him in over three years. When he ask I explain to him. I got tired of making excuses. He knows the truth and understand. Hasn’t even ask about his sperm donor in over three years.

1 Like

In A Kind Way, Explain to her in an honest way!! I know it must be hard but she will never come back to tell you that you lied to her! Just be very kind in doing so please!!

Mine has never seen her dad he left us while we were 3months pregnant never has he check on us were now 1yr 9days allahmdulilah

Validate her feelings, everything she is feeling is perfectly normal and sometimes the best thing to do is listen and help them process what they are feelings.
Then explain that her dad loves her and try to explain to her in a age appropriate way why he’s not around. Don’t lie about it, don’t make excuses. Also don’t talk poorly of the other parent. Most people think that the child will grow angry at the absent parent but in most cases they actually blame themselves and have misdirected anger. So help her deal with it in a healthy way

I highly recommend this book for any child that may be going through any type of separation issues. It really made a difference with my little girl :heart::heart:

My little one is two and started saying ‘mummy I want to see daddy’ or 'I miss daddy"
I had to split with him over a year ago due to DV but she loves him to bits and they have video call contact when he can be bothered which is not very often at all. I just say daddy’s working baby or daddys really busy.
It’s hard to explain to a child I would just try to change the subject rather than giving their brain too much at this age.