What do they do for anxiety in children?

Does anyone have experience dealing with a young child with anxiety? My daughter gets it pretty bad. She’s only 8. She’s scared of everything. She can’t sleep at night. She needs to be told often that she’s loved. Her whole body is always itchy. We’re taking her to a therapist, but I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with this before. Do doctors prescribe meds for anxiety at this age?

1 Like

I would do a kids cbd oil before meds and maybe try a kids weighted blanket for night time. And continue therapy

13 Likes

My son is super anxious. Fears a lot of things, very cautious boy. He refused to get onto the bus for school last year… he said he felt like he couldn’t breath while on the bus. What helped and has continued to help him are Halls (minty things you’d suck on for a sore throat), they aren’t medicinal so our doctor said great! I did a lot of research for relaxation techniques and have found some that work for him. You just need to find what works for your daughter

1 Like

My daughter has Autism, Epilepsy, OCD, ADHD and Anxiety. it consumed her life and it got to the point that we could not leave our home. Her Dr. Suggested Prozac because she was so severe. I was desperate to help her so I agreed. It was her godsend and saving grace. 7 days later, I had the child back that I lost an entire year earlier. Once she was stable (after about 6 months) we switched her to zoloft and she’s maintained her anxiety and OCD ever since. She was 8 when this peaked and she is now 15 living her best life!

4 Likes

My son has anxiety and was prescribed Vistaril antihistamine for it. He has specific triggers, though (medical procedures and social situations). I have given it to him twice before anxiety inducing events and it seemed to help - he didn’t vomit like he had a few times before the medicine.

My little sister is the same since I can remember and she is also 8 and scared of everything you can possibly think of and my mom has told doctors about it . I think she will grow out of it . They never told my mom nothing

My daughter’s been treated for Anxiety since she was 6. They tried her on Prozac first. Wasn’t helping all that much. We recently got Genesight testing done that showed that was the wrong drug for her, and she was a CYP450 2D6 poor metabolizer. So we switched to Zoloft.

Short answer, yes they can and do prescribe medication treatment for anxiety in children. It’s more common than you think.

My daughter have ptsd, anxiety, and depression if you ever need someone to talk to.

Currently going through this process as well… Miss 9 has mega anxiety and have tried ALL the tips and tricks (meditation, sensory toys etc)). Now on Melatonin to aid sleep, and currently waiting to see a therapist. She was always anxious and a clinger (sleep and school) but Covid made her returning to school near impossible :unamused:
We have no diagnosis yet (although school counsellor has already suggested mild depression on top of anxiety) so no advice on meds, but if that’s a road we have to take we are ready.
Also free to chat if you need… its a horrible feeling as a Mumma to not be able to help/sooth your child and totally can drain us too. Your doing great Mumma x

Might also be a tic disorder like my son has. A neurologist diagnosed it.

Try kid yoga. My daughter does it at school. They have videos all over YouTube you can check out. My daughter has autism as well as anxiety and I try to bring her down a notch through breathing techniques.

I grew up like this. I mostly was just told I was ridiculous growing up so I suppressed a lot of my problems. I’d say maybe let her know that her feelings are valid, but also encourage her to not let her mental health hold her back, ever! From anything!

1 Like

Good on you for addressing this!! I had lots of trouble with anxiety and depression from the time I was very young and it was always dismissed as seeking attention. I’ve always been very loved but anxiety and depression is definitely still very prevalent in my life in adulthood as well. I often wonder if it was addressed at a younger age if it would be easier now. You are definitely doing the right thing :heart:

2 Likes

Deffiantly c.b.d oil it might take a bit of time to show it works but its the best thing for her

My son Has had Adhd , sever Depression an anxiety and social anxiety and panic attacks ( he got the depression an both anxieties and panic attacks from being bullied at school ) he’s been on Zoloft since 7 and concerta and a sleeping meds now and he is 14 it’s been a hard road but worked the most is my son’s Mentor he is awesome maybe ask the dr about getting one .

My daughter is 7 and has general and social/separation anxiety plus adhd. Zoloft has been a huge help in the anxiety department we also do a very small amount of cbd honey sticks for bed.

I first tried therapy, essential oils and cbd, when that didn’t help her doctor prescribed low does meds.

Yes they can get medicine at this age my daughter has it and she gets medicine for it.

Cut out junk food, sugar reduced, balanced meals, regular schedule,…

2 Likes

Are there any other issues…My Niece has an anxiety based condition called Pda(Pathological Demand Avoidance) Which is a part of Autism spectrum disorder…She is highly anxious can get angry when anxious and can lash out…Even every day demands like get dressed can be too much…It can appear she is cheeky at times but her behaviour is down to anxiety overload…Im not saying your child has this but its worth a read up…Especially if there are other issue with the anxiety

My little brother has anxiety very bad and I will say for nighttime the weighted blankets make a world of a difference

Have you looked into High Histamine? People with high Histamine can be triggered by certain foods, vitamins, even the weather. Google it…might help you.

Yes they do… my son has been on meds for awhile now for anxiety… it runs in the family so I knew what it was… he’s doing a lot better!! Willing to go to new places to try different things! Oh it has made such a difference! Especially in school… well when we actually have school that is

So sorry your baby is going through this… is thought and can make you sick as well.
Behavioral therapy weekly will help her a lot. Knowing that you are there for here helps too. Be patient, it takes time… we don’t like pills… we had terrible experiences… Yoga and Melatonin can help until she is older to try a more natural alternative medicine… which will work :+1:t3: Good luck honey and take of yourself as well.

My son is 7 and has a whole host of issues including Anxiety. We have been working with a psychiatric nurse practitioner who has been helping us with techniques and meds…

Get her some probiotics. Gut issues trigger anxiety

Keep her occupied and focused as much as you can so she’s living in the moment without too much time to overthink and worry…music is good and distracts you along with colouring, reading, crafts, fidget gadgets, puzzles, anything to keep her mind distracted…make her a ‘safe space’ like a den or tippee tent so she can always go to somewhere quiet and calm…ask if she’d be interested in keeping a diary where she can write down anything that worries her throughout the day(this will help you figure out what triggers her also), make sure she has a good daily routine to follow because if she knows what she’s doing all day that’s one less thing she could worry about… and it brings stability…incorporate motivational quotes to her day like on her bedroom wall where she can see them when she wakes up or in her pack lunch…practice mindfulness…be as open as you can with her so she feels she can do the same…shower her with extra extra love to ease doubts💕 if she gets anxiety attacks practice breathing exercises and focusing on her 5 senses(1 thing she can smell/touch/hear/taste/see xx

My daughter has separation anxiety and regular anxiety. She need reassurance all the time. And she needs to be by me alot. Her dr prescribed her zoloft to help. It does but every now and then she has a bad day.

My son who is also 8 has really bad anxiety, the best thing we did for him was taking him to a therapist, and yes, they do give anxiety meds for children their age. My son is on zoloft.

Omg this sounds exactly my 6 year old! We are starting with CBD gummies. And CBD oil. That and we do a step by step schedule to help reduce anxiety. We tell her 3 things ahead so she knows what to expect. Its helped quite a bit.

1 Like

My son was on a low dosage of zoloft , I also got a dog and I keep a strict schedule and I explain things before we do them

1 Like

My son is 9 and he has autism and is always itchy too. Does anyone know why they itch?

My daughter is 6 and has really bad anxiety - medication was our last resort and we finally decided to try and they gave her the equivalent to Zoloft - she’s back to being my happy smiling giggling girl - still has her moments here and there but sooooooo much better than we were a year ago

This is why God made pediatricians.

I’m not sure if this works but I saw this video and I have waited to experience w my niece who gets anxiety also but we haven’t had to. iCloud

We have this and tantrums with my 9 yr old. We made a sensory cuddle corner. I made a weighted sleep blanket and a poncho for pressure. We give talks about naming our monsters, dread or scary, so we can defeat them. We are still in therapy.

4 Likes

So my kiddo got this way a few times. She would scream for hours on end until she was hoarse then scream some more the whole time repeating “I can’t calm down.” The cause? She said she was tired on a hot day i offered her an ice cream and a movie on the couch…
So one thing I found that helped calm her down was a tepid shower. Not the usual warm temp she used and definitely not ice cold but just a few degrees cooler than she usually uses. I didn’t let her shiver and I had her clean clothes and a blanket and a towel all spinning in the dryer. I wouldn’t leave her in there very long but just until she started to calm down and relax and then I’d let her get dressed and then after which he was always hungry and tired and then I would let her sleep for the rest of the day

could she have an allergy which might cause her to feel uneasy ? I’m not suggesting this is only a physical problem just part of the puzzle.

1 Like

yes, a psychiatrist can prescribe meds. I had a 6 yr old foster daughter on anti anxiety meds. It helped a lot. She was a completely different child. Unfortunately I do not remember the name of it.

My son is 5 and I just scheduled his first appointment with a therapist just to see what my options are. I dont want him on meds unless there isn’t another option

Look into her diet. Certain artificial ingredients can cause bad anxiety as well as her vitamin levels being low. I’d look into something she enjoys too that she can do often to help reduce stress like coloring reading dancing soccer ect…
If her gut is off it can be causing major issues in her brain too so get a probiotic, prebiotic and digestive enzymes to help balance her body and get it to stop working so hard to function.
I’d start with natural supplements, her diet and therapy before getting meds prescribed.
Melatonin and a noise machine might help with sleep. Or playing music or something.
Low dose naltrexone is often used and is safer than the other ones they use. Your local compounding pharmacy can help you and answer any of your questions, probably better than your dr can.
Medication often causes more issues and eventually leads to other things you have to deal with.
As far as you helping her the Rhythms for life podcast is really great and can definitely help you to help her.

We do child guided meditations and have been working on calming techniques - breathing, deep breathes, etc. sensory activities- painting, play dough, etc

My daughter pediatrician told us to give her zarbees melatonin it’s all natural
Omg it’s helped she sleeps through the night
My daughter started with anxiety when covid started she 5 so he told us (3) 1mg pills he also prescribed a mild children’s sedative 1 -2 mg chills her out
No tantrums no anxiety just happy and playful
And is much more focused during school
Talk to your pediatrician :two_hearts:
Good luck

My son has had anxiety for years… he is now 15 and diagnosed with PTSD… he is in therapy 4 times a month and she’s teaching him ways to deal with it. So far therapy has been the best thing for him. He’s been dealing with this since he’s been 9

My son is the same age and has anxiety. His doctor has him doing box breathing, visualization and we do a lot of art(drawing/painting). But as a mom I give him alot of hugs and reassurance and that everything will be ok. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

You could find a lot of breathing techniques for children on youtube. A weighted blanket could help at night too. But I therapy is a must. The medication part is really up to you. After all you are the parent, only you can make the decision of making them take it. Some Drs will suggest it on the first visit. Personally I wouldn’t give it to my child, I would give therapy a try first for a couple of months. Give the therapy a chance first. I suggest family therapy together . Your child needs a STRONG and PATIENT SUPPORT SYSTEM. It’s hard on us parents too. That’s why therapy as a family is important. I hope your baby girl gets well soon. :heart:

1 Like

My anxiety makes my skin itch too. At night I’ve found that a weighted blanket helps a lot. Hope you get the help she needs. :relaxed:

There is anxiety med,s

That’s something to discuss with the therapist…

You can sign her up for a sport or horseback riding. Sometimes having a release will help tremendously

My kid is 3 and has bad anxiety, but I’ve never taken her to the doctor’s for it…

This is so sad prayers for all

Ohh, wow. I have anxiety and deal with that a lot. You can buy catnip from an herbal store along with chamomile and make her a tea before bed. That should help her sleep. Also, her diet has a lot to do with her brain activity. Try and limit her carbs, increase fresh fruits and vegetables, try and buy organic. The pesticides they use to treat produce have proven to affect mental health. The protein in egg whites can also affect kids. I can’t remember how. When my son was diagnosed with ADD at 7, I chose to change his diet and it worked! I got a book called ADD nutritional solution. So definitely do some research on foods to keep and foods to avoid. I find if I have too many carbs, I don’t sleep well and my brain doesn’t shut off. I also make pretty much everything from scratch. I try to avoid additives. And her seeing a therapist is definitely the way to go. She should really have a psychological evaluation. And then go from there. But beware medication. Especially barbiturates. Try changing her diet first. I promise, it will make a difference.

] use to have to get up with my Son, who had anxiety. We would make up adventure stories about Grandmas dog. Also a 1/2 benadryl helped.

My daughter was a little older but the CBD oil worked for her.

My daughter has anxiety and ADHD. She was prescribed hydroxyzine at night. It was initially given for her eczema but it also helps with anxiety and helps the mind quiet down so she could sleep. She was 9 or so when she was first put on a mild dose. She had seen a therapist and psychiatrist before meds but needed additional help.

Diffuse or apply calming essential oils like lavender and others.

LEXAPRO!!!
Love it !!:sparkling_heart: