What do you do when your kid asks why they don't have a sibling?

Moms who just have one child, what do you say to them when they ask about siblings and why they don’t have one or that they want a sibling? I can’t have anymore children unless we do IVF and that’s just probably not going to be in the cards for us financially. I wanted nothing more than to have more babies and give my daughter a sibling and it breaks my heart when she asks

8 Likes

Tell them the truth in an age appropriate wording no matter what the reason is. Mom/Dad can’t have any more, Mom/Dad didn’t want more than one so we could focus on you, we didn’t rule out having more but it just never happened, ECT. It’s always best to be open and honest with them in a manner they’ll understand.
In your case it would be we didn’t rule out the possibility of another child however due to medical conditions it takes special Dr care for that to happen which cost an amount we just can’t manage.

2 Likes

I was honest and told my son he was a precious miracle that was once in a lifetime. I can’t have more children either but he was satisfied with that. He’s 11 now and hasn’t asked me in years. If he asks again for some reason I’ll give him a more age appropriate answer.

2 Likes

I was told I couldn’t have kids when I was 16. Married someone at 19 who didn’t want kids and at 20 I was pregnant. We divorced after I had the baby (he was abusive and still wanted me to get rid of IT) and my son is now 10 and he says once in awhile about all his friends with siblings and I tell him I didn’t have anymore because I got VERY lucky with him and it was very dangerous for us…we almost didn’t make it and I’m not risking our lives any more.

4 Likes

It’s probably not as big a deal to them as it is for you. When my son asked “what is sex?” at three I was shocked but asked why. He said, “Am I male or female?” Ok, that was age appropriate! :smile:

Ask why they want a sibling. Remind them that babies are stinky, spit up and cry a lot, siblings can take and break your stuff, get mad at you and be mean as well as sweet and loving.

I’m an only child and when I saw how siblings really treated each other in my friends’ families I was taken aback. I was shocked at how contentious my own two kids could be. There are definitely benefits to being an only child. And no guarantees they will be friends after they grow up either. With preschool, daycare , play dates and tot activities kids get socialized early and don’t wind up the “lonely only” or selfish snob like stereotypes of old.

I use to tell my son that he was our miracle baby after being told there was a high chance I wouldn’t conceive and we were very lucky to have him. He’s 13 this year and he still says I was your miracle baby. He loves not having siblings now he’s a bit older. He gets all our time and attention. I would have had more in a heartbeat. Sometimes it’s just not meant to be :heart: xx

Tell them the truth. I I tell mine she’s the reason I won’t have anymore and it’s true! I wanted to wait till she was 4 or 5 but she was too wild for me to even think about it Now she’s almost 10 ship has definitely sailed. But my sister has a almost 3 year old who is like her little brother so that’s good enough. Thankfully she’s not asked since he was born :rofl:

My daughter (11) is constantly asking for a sibling and it breaks my heart that it’s apparently not in going to happen. I’d love nothing more than another child. I honestly never know what to say to her. Just wanted you know that your not alone and I understand

2 Likes

I told mine the truth. I have endometriosis and it keeps me from being able to give her a sibling. Of course I explained this in an age appropriate way. She was probably 8 at the time, 13 now and content with being the only one.

I’m honest with him, I almost lost my life and possibly his too. Another pregnancy could be fatal or at least detrimental to my health. He has a cousin his age and they are close so that definitely helps. I also tell him he would have to share all of his things and we wouldn’t be able to afford to do fun things if there were another child involved.

Don’t over think it, my son used to ask but then stopped as he got older

Depending on their age… tell them the truth… some people just can’t have kids naturally and need help to have babies. And since you are having problems concieving naturally, just tell her that your body decided she was the only one you needed and you are happy to have her and only her. It will make her feel special and maybe a little more understanding

1 Like

If my son ever asks I’m just going to be honest. I was told I couldn’t ever have a child so when I got pregnant with him it was a blessing and I don’t want another one because I’m happy with the one I have.

Adopt
Adopt Adopt
Or become a foster parent and give someone who needs it support

Tell them perfection needs no competition. They were everything you ever wanted and they are enough

1 Like

That they were plenty … Later on, that we’d been told we might not be able to have kids so felt blessed to have them.

"Momm csnt have anymore "

It’s very simple. You just tell the kid you didn’t get pregnant with more and that you may not want mote. Kids don’t need siblings and don’t necessarily desire them just because they ask. It’s more of a curiosity thing. It’s not as deep as you’re thinking it to be.
Also, most who think they cannot get pregnant on their own end up finding out doctors guessed wrong because they go on to conceive naturally.

I tell the truth, your the only one that survived the pregnancy

I have told mine “I got so lucky with you, being so perfect I don’t want to Mother Nature 1 tricking me and 2 I don’t want her to regret having a sibling. She’s so spoiled on all fronts. She only wanted one to play with. But once she had a baby cousin that adores her she changed her mind because her cousin wanted to be with her all. The. Time.