What do you do when your kids come home with bad grades?

What do you do if yoru kids come home with bad grades? I tried to be understanding abou tit but he isnt chanigng his attitude about school or making his grades better…

11 Likes

Solution based. Either a tutor or make the time to sit with him after school to do x amount of time studying or doing homework. Setting new habits and attitudes might need some help

2 Likes

Figure out the problem first. & go from there. Are they not able to organize themselves & turn things in? Are they losing things before turning them in?
Are they just refusing to do the work? Is the work too hard & they need special services? Are they too busy goofing around / having bad behavior.

I’ve talked to the teachers.I’ve sat and asked my children if there is something going on at school.I would look for a tutor or,see if they can get the extra help they need.

2 Likes

Maybe there is something else going on? A learning disability? Maybe they are being bullied? See if there is something that is causing them to feel that way.

Try implementing a reward system? You didn’t specify the age of the child.

I would go to the school and see if they have any type of tutoring being offered.

Reach out to the teacher. Perhaps they can tell you better what the issue is, maybe that school ain’t working out or the teacher isn’t for him and he needs to switch classes. If you have tried helping with the homework and talking, then move on from there. Wouldn’t hurt to contact the counselor and see if they can help your child too.

Help find a solution. Are they having trouble with learning. Do they need help with what they’re learning and understanding it. Some times bad grades are due to lack of help and understanding. Maybe some 1 on 1 with teacher or tutor might be the go to…

1 Like

My daughter had A’s and B’s the first quarter but one grade is down by a lot and so I called and talked to the counselor. She’s going to start staying at school later, getting help in that class and pick up any extra credit as well

try to ask if he’s truly not able to understand what’s being taught to him, i always tried my hardest but i always had a bad grade in math bc i genuinely couldn’t remember what was taught the next day… like completely forgot. even if i studied

Talk to the school see where they can help. I’ve gotten private tutors at some point. Some high school aged kids are usually looking to make a few extra $$ a week. I don’t get upset about grades as much as I do about behavior. If behavior and grades are down that’s when it’s an issue. But grades bad and good behavior then it’s something else going on. Start with speaking to the school and see if you can get a meeting set up and go from there on what needs attention

1 Like

Say “do you want fries with that”

Because that is where you will end up :rofl:

i get on them to bring grades up and take things away until improve grades.i have one with a couple of teachers not turning work in and grades drop i work at there school and i see the 2 teachers that she messes up and she knows it she sees me to.

Figure out what’s going on to create the bad grade. Does he understand the subject matter, is it a disconnect with the teacher, issues with other students, does the child carry any diagnosis that would make learning difficult? Once you’ve sat down and had a actual discussion with them child you can then better formulate a plan based on grade level. Create the child a specific spot to complete homework, sit with them to complete homework so that you know they understand what’s being taught and is completing work, speak with the teacher about your concerns to formulate a plan based on your child’s needs and/or find a tutor that your child connects with and trusts.

7 Likes

Some kids just don’t do good. It could be the school he’s in. The stuff could be too hard for him and he’s struggling. The stuff could be too easy so he just doesn’t try because he’s bored. He could have a learning disability. There could be a lot of reasons. But you need to sit down with your son and figure out what’s going on. You could also observe him at school and see if he’s dinking around or actually trying his hardest (don’t tell him when you do it tho and try and observe thru a door window). Figure out which subjects he’s having the hardest and work with him at home.

Young one, there are many reasons for this. We would need more information

A lot of schools are cutting out homework because by the time the parents and their children got home it was really late. Plus always make sure your child is not hungry or feels rushed. To me it depends on their grade level and your child’s age. Talk to your child’s teacher. Make sure your children and yourself are not tired or hungry. Help them with their homework work.

My son has a learning disorder so I don’t get upset over bad grades. He doesn’t make Fs very often and never on his report card so I don’t do anything except help him in whatever area he is struggling in.

Depends on the kid and what the kid is capable of. My daughter gets all As in honors classes and never even studies. My son struggles more.

Started making them walk to school. Isn’t far from our house but they absolutely hate it.

2 Likes

Tutoring, homeschool, have them learn at their ability/ grade level. Not everyone learns at the same pace. Learning should be an adventure. Not test scores. Although it is important to learn. Some Excel in English but struggle with math or science

I spoke the principal on speaker with my kid in her office and said after school which is not anymore, in school suspension 2 days to bring up grades

Figure out the issue before anything.

Schedule a meeting with the school and get some feedback from his teachers.

You need to figure out if he just doesn’t care, is capable but putting forth no effort, or if there is an underlying issue, like ADHD or a learning disability.

Then go from there.

Maybe talk with his guidance counselor and ask for advise.

Lots of kids hate school. Boys I find more. Mine always has. How many people actually “like” school. I find when you ask them, they mostly like going to see friends. Some teachers make or break a class. Like any job we like or dislike our ‘boss’. School classes are boring and if you are not good at math or science etc it can be overwhelming and boring. Who knows what our kids go through doing the day. Other kids, bullying, kids are self conscious, acne, clothing, any kind of stresses. Hard to punish when they are struggling. Remember mental health is more important than grades. High school doesn’t define them. Try to ask him why he struggles and maybe make a deal…he can have 2 mental health days a month…

The school system is broken. Don’t make it such a huge deal. It’s ment to weed out kids who will go to college and end up in half a mil in debt and those who will be smart get a trade job and have little to no debt. Be happy he’s not conforming and a sheep.

Take away electronics and immediately after school before anything; homework. Where I’m t with my 2nd grader. She had one grade that’s a D, the rest A’s. Her teacher also sends home extra practice and extra credit to help her bring the grade up. Went from deans list her fist two years, to having a crap attitude about school and not caring about her grades. This is how me and her a
Dad do it. Was a d, currently a c.