What do you eat on the keto diet?

Has anyone done the keto diet? What were your experiences and what did you eat?? It says low carb, what’s considered low carbs?

1 Like

It’s less then 30g of net carbs per day. My husband does it off and on when he wants a boost to lose a few pounds. I tried it before I was pregnant and it worked well for me also. It’s not a bad system if you can resist sweets, bread and pasta.

I have heard from an actual doctor that the Keto diet is not good for you

2 Likes

It’s not bad at all. You definitely lose weight. The biggest piece of advice i can give you is meal prep! If you plan out and make sure you have all you need, its easy and the keto recipes ive found are reallly good. I used Simply Keto cookbook. I personally don’t follow it 100% because it made me very light headed and dizzy. I also recommend talking to your dr first because it’s not for everyone. My dr actually drew blood and stuff first to make sure it would be okay for me.

1 Like

Less than 20 net carbs. Or 40g of carbs. I personally count grams because not every label has net carbs. It’s high fat, moderate protein, and very low carb. Ketosis is a natural body function for turning body fat into energy(DO NOT let people try and tell you it has anything to do with diabetic ketoacidosis, they are completely different things). Don’t waste your money on keto supplements as they generally don’t help as much as people think and some people will drink ketones when they eat too many carb thinking that will offset it but as soon as you go over your carbs you knock your body out of ketosis and depending on your body it can take 3/4 days- 1/2 weeks to get into full ketosis. My main meals include steak, chicken thighs, hamburger patties, pork chops, and I stick with green veggies, check the carb content of your veggies as well because most of them do have some amount of carbs. Eggs, and sausage(I prefer sausage over bacon but you can have bacon). My snacks include beef jerky, almonds/cashews(count these out or weigh them due to their carb content), sliced turkey and cheddar roll ups and cottage cheese. Keep in mind your body has no idea what time it is so you can eat any of these things at any time. You will most likely go through what is known as keto flu, when I go off keto and I’m going back on I take magnesium supplements and it helps the yucky feeling. But before taking any supplements check with your doctor first. I’ve lost 40 pounds and perfected my blood pressure with keto :relaxed:

2 Likes

I don’t do it, because I don’t trust diets that don’t allow fruit but say its okay to substitute bread with a dozen pieces of bacon.

But yeah, its less than 20 or 30 grams of carbs a day. It was not designed to be a long term diet, initially.

2 Likes

I didn’t do well on it so I didn’t stick with it. I had a friend do it and lost 50 pounds in a few months. As soon as she stopped though she gained it back.

Both my husband and I do keto. Its low carb high fat mod protein. Low carb is under 50 carbs a day. We stay closer to 20, but that’s ideal for us. My husband lost 20 pounds the first month and I was down 15 . We took a break through the holidays but are right back to it. Our dr said it was ok for us. My husband is also diabetic. Talk to your dr and do some Google searches.