What does it mean to fail a glucose test?

Q: Is there pregnant women out there that has taken a glucose test? I’ve took one last week and said my blood sugar levels were high. And was asked to take it again ,but not sure if I want to …

7 Likes

Many who fail the 1 hour, pass the 3 hour. It is routine to do both for accurate diagnosis.

3 Likes

I thought you had to take the 3 hour one if you failed the one hour glucose test.

1 Like

There are other options. I will be refusing the glucose drink this time around.

1 Like

This is my 2nd pregnancy and both times I took mine i failed but when i went back to do the 3 hour one it was fine.

I’d definitely do it just to be safe I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 28 weeks and my doctor said if my sugar levels stay high the baby could get too big to be able to give birth to naturally which would cause me to have a csection or could cause the baby to go in distress its better to be safe then sorry

3 Likes

I failed both the 1 hour and 3 hour and I am on insulin now. I fought it at first but then learned that my baby could have blood sugar problems if I didnt take care of my blood sugar. I even went for a second opinion because my sugars were really not that bad. I did alot of research and being in the medical field I had alot of access to different people to talk to. I thought it was bad at first but the injections are not bad at all. I started with oral meds but they made me sick. Good luck to you!!! I hope it all works out!!!

1 Like

1hr came back high, 3hr was fine.
Go do it, if you do have gd you need to know.
The 3hr is a fasting test though, you’re gonna wanna put a sandwich in your bag and after the test eat it before you even leave.

Being someone with diabetes I would suggest taking the test again…to many risks with not…baby can be bigger and more issues towards delivery! Better safe then sorry. First baby and 29 weeks

1 Like

The glucose test is one of the tests I highly recommend. In the OBGYN office I used to work in, if a patient declined the glucose test we would treat them as a diabetic and put them on a diabetic meal plan to follow as well as finger sticks. Obviously, we couldn’t make people do anything but when you start explaining the risks (excessive fetal growth, preterm birth, respiratory distress syndrome, blood sugar issues) they end up following up with the 3 hour test. It sucks. I’ve been there. But you do what you have to to make sure baby (and you!) is as healthy as possible.

Good luck!

2 Likes

So don’t. Just tell your OB that you’ll continue your pregnancy as though you have it. I got sick on the 3 hr and refused to take it again so that’s what I did.

My gluecose test was messed up giving wonky results and my daughter was born 38w+4d at 5lbs and was hyperglycemic. You need to retest for the health of your baby. Watching my baby get poked 3,4,5+ times a day in her little feets and arms is not something i would wish on anyone. Not to mention the long nicu stay. And i couldnt hold her for a while because the amount of sugar she needed was so high it couldnt go thru a normal arm IV it had to be done thru her actual belly button. On top of that she had to eat thru a feeding tube because she was so weak/miserable she wouldnt nurse or bottle feed. My dad is also diabetic and not doing everything you can to prevent it is selfish. Take the steps to ensure the most comfortable life for that little one.

1 Like

Technically you aren’t required to take a glucose test but it’s a good idea Incase you have gestational diabetes. They want to retest you to see if your levels were high that day or if you do have gestational diabetes. It’s completely up to you to retest but if you have gestational diabetes it’s in your and your baby’s best interest to know so it can be treated. Also, i believe if you pass on the retest some insurance companies will forfeit your right to coverage if any sort of emergency or problem came up having to do with diabetes.

Yes absolutely take it again…i had gestational…you have to follow a certain diet…it can cause the baby to be still born if unchecked

3 Likes

Those tests are to keep you and your baby safe. I can’t imagine not wanting to do that.

1 Like

Yes. Took the 3 hour and found out I had gestational diabetes… had to take insulin… had a big healthy baby and no longer diabetic

1 Like

I had to do it twice before not that big of a deal its for your baby… now your a mother its sacrifices for your child from here on out!

2 Likes

Although inconvenient I’d definitely suggest taking it again, if you have gestational diabetes it’s something you and your doctors need to know. I refused the test completely with my first pregnancy due to extreme hyperemesis, they wanted me on a special diet but I ended up barely eating due to such extreme vomiting so the diet was easy. With my second pregnancy the hyperemesis was worse, but they didnt make me fast as long so i was able to do it.

That happened to me and I took it again and it was normal the second time

Yes every pregnancy I will have Gestational diabetes…yes take it again! You have an increased risk of having an 9 lb baby and having a c section and preeclampsia and all kinds of issues with pregnancy and the baby. It was diet controlled for me. I had to check my blood 4x a day. I didn’t even look pregnant and I stayed the same weight 135 lbs. I fit in my regular clothes…i just had mine and once he was born . It goes away…I was on a regular diet that night. Take it again!!! Better safe than sorry

Mine was high so I did the 3hr test and found out I have gestational diabetes. It’s better to be safe than sorry to protect your child. Taking the right steps now to make sure your baby is healthy is necessary.

1 Like

I took it but mine was fine

I’m sorry girl but this ain’t about what u want anymore it about the wellbeing of ur baby. If the test comes out high could be an indicator of gestational diabetes and preeclampsia need to get checked so the doctors can take care if u and baby. They dont do these tests for the hell of it.

3 Likes

You absolutely need to do the longer test. You don’t just not treat gestational diabetes…

1 Like

I had that happen the 4 hour test came back better, get it done its important!

I failed the 1 hour with my first and passed the 3 hour. With my second I only had the option of the 3 hour and would not get to retake it if I failed. Luckily I passed. You can opt out of it BUT you will be treated as though you have gestational diabetes. It’s better to just take it so you know for sure. If you have it it can cause issues for you and baby.

Uhh why wouldn’t you? It’s extremely dangerous if you have GD. The drink isn’t even that bad :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Do it. I had gestational diabetes during my 2nd pregnancy. It’s very important that you do this as the risk of complications aren’t pretty, including death of yourself and/or your child. I’m sorry, I really don’t mean to be mean but this could be very serious. I controlled mine through diet. If you indeed have gestational diabetes, have your Dr set you up with a nutritionist. It’s very helpful in learning to control it.

1 Like

I was gestational with my 2nd child I had to have her early …so now I have to take the test again to see