What exactly is hair-grooming syncope?

Hi. Needing advice today as it was my daughters 2nd time having a seizure. Took her to the hospital and they ran tests on her and everything came out good thank god … But the doctor mentioned she might have this hair grooming syncope. It’s actually a thing. I had no clue to what he was saying to me. I looked it up and made more sense but I’m still confused about the whole thing… she’s going to see her doctor Wednesday and get referral to a neurologist since it had happened 2 times already. I just wanted to see if anyone else has gone thru this with their child?? I’m so sacred she’ll have another one at school. so far it only has happened at home… I just need some advice please… thank you.

17 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What exactly is hair-grooming syncope? - Mamas Uncut

I was diagnosed with syncope as a toddler… I’m not sure what hair grooming syncope is though

Mine has endocardiogenic syncope, brought on by anxiety. One time it happened, it was scared her so bad she looked like she was having a seizure but it was like a panic/anxiety attack. School called an ambulance for her. It took several several tests and about 6 mins for a diagnosis.

Its when you brush or do someones hair they go into shock or seizure. Ive heard of it. Ive never seen it myself.

According to the article Kathleen Jayne put up, young kids and adolescents can experience fainting when having their hair combed, brushed, or cut. They have symptoms prior to passing out. Tests include having an EEG, where they put a lot of electrodes all over the head. And treatment includes making sure that the person has plenty to drink before having their hair done, combed, brushed, or cut. I suppose there are more treatments, but the article cut off there. I’ve never seen this happen in anyone, but I would have the doctors do what they can. Sounds kind of scary for the little one.

Wow sorry this is happening…learn something new everyday

I’ve never heard of the hair grooming kind but I had Vaso Vagal which is brought on by stress, triggers, anxiety. I have since outgrown it in the last 5 years just by forcing myself to do things & anxiety meds. See if she can explain to you how it feels before it happens so she can learn to lay down beforehand.