What happens when you have gestational diabetes while pregnant?

I am 25 weeks and 4 days, I just got my blood results back and I have gestational diabetes :worried: and I’m anemic. I’m not worried about being anemic as I was with my first and that’s easy to manage. But the gestational diabetes has me scared. I do see my doctor tomorrow, but any mamas have or had this? How did you handle it? I am already high risk, and this just adds on to it.

8 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What happens when you have gestational diabetes while pregnant? - Mamas Uncut

They should refer you to a dietician who will tell you what foods to eat and ones to avoid. I had it with my 2nd pregnancy (3 kids). I now am diabetic, maybe 20 years later and on medication.

I’ve had it twice. Just follow the carb allotment you’re given by your nutritionist and do your best. I had to go on insulin with my second child because my fasting sugars were high and uncontrollable.

My daughter had it and had to take an insulin shot at night time. Don’t be scared i know it sounds frightening but just do as your dr says. My daughter had a very healthy little girl. Good luck to you.

IAM type 1 diabetic and currently pregnant I just watch my sugar intake and my carbs

It’s common, you may have to take insulin for a while or change your diet. You will most likely have a bigger baby, but not always.

I had it. I controlled it with a strict diet. Went to the nutrition class and googles a bunch of stuff. But they can put you in medicine for it if needed. If you need any help or suggestions you can message me if you would like. I can tell you a bunch of snacks and foods you can eat that are good!

Have your OBGYN refer you to a nutritionist. That will be a tremendous help. But basically cut your carbs. Bread, pasta, potatoes, cereals, corn, ect. All of those turn to sugar in your blood. Eat more leafy green vegetables. Also, cut sugary drinks like sodas and such.

I had to check my sugar 3xs a day along with injections also watching what I ate…it was hard but we do what we have to for our babies :white_heart: They will monitor you and baby closely also use your dietician!

Low carb/low sugar diet. It’s not hard. As long as you follow a diet your sugars will be fine.

I had it with my last one. It was pretty easy to manage with diet. My biggest problem was eating as often as they wanted me to. The dr office should set you up with a dietitian who will go over diet and checking your sugars. Don’t let them put you on insulin right away(not that they would)! Always try diet first

Baby is usually a little bigger

I had it with all three of my pregnancies. Controlled with diet. All three babies were healthy

I just had to keep track of my sugars and managed it mostly with diet.
I did do insulin shots with my second, but it wasn’t helping my numbers and I hated it so I stopped.
Had it 4 times and have 4 healthy kids. :heart:

I have had it with 2 out of 3 of my children. I was able to control mine with diet and exercise alone. I highly recommend the book real food for gestational diabetes.

Mine had to be dealt with with insulin. Diet just didn’t work for me. My son born small for dates at 32 weeks. He was my 8th baby and I was 40 at the time.

I had it with my last baby, diet controlled…he was normal weight when born and perfectly healthy.

Prepare for your diet to change and finger pricks for days!!!:confounded::face_with_peeking_eye:

I had it with both pregnancies.
First thing to know: Every person is different and every pregnancy is different. With my oldest I managed my blood sugar with metformin, diet changes and exercise. He was born at 39 weeks and was 7lbs 15oz. With my youngest I did end up having to take insulin shots…I tried oral meds first…it didn’t matter what I ate my blood sugar would spike and then plummet. He was born at 37 weeks (due to blood pressure) and was 6 pounds 11 ounces.
Second thing to know: Take it seriously but don’t freak out. It is important to follow your doctor’s instructions, make necessary changes, and be candid with your doctor…but it is absolutely manageable.
Third thing: Low blood sugar can be every bit as dangerous as high blood sugar (my lows have always been worse than my highs). You’ll be prescribed a meter. Keep it with you at all times and make sure you keep some glucose tabs with you too. If you start feeling “off” take your blood sugar.
Fourth: You want to manage your blood sugar but don’t t deny yourself or your baby nutrition to do so or to do so without medication. I tried that with my youngest to avoid insulin…like I ate a plain bowl of green beans for breakfast…my blood sugar still spiked regardless.

1 Like

Cut out as much carbs as possible , eat healthy , but keep a close check . I was induced at 37 weeks and had a 7.6 baby ! However, got toxemia and almost died :zipper_mouth_face:…2nd one not a single issue … 8 1/2 lb baby . Within 4 years full blown diabetic on insulin … ( I knew I would get it , my time in line ) still on insulin 20 years later

My first daughter-in-law had it with my first grandson. He turned out to be a large baby.

I had it right from the day I found out I was pregnant. I took insulin from the get-go… easy as.

l get paid over $123 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $17886 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://AmazingOption274.pages.dev/

I would see a holistic nutritionist.
Stick to whole foods, plants, and lean meats. You will just need to change your nutrition and incorporate exercise if not already.

l get paid over $ 195 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 18971 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.
Go to This. https://highincomejob901.pages.dev/

Low carb/ sugar free for the most part. Most important thing to remember is you can have anything you want but it’s all about portion control and checking your sugars. You will learn what you can and can’t handle very quick.