What is a good diet for a child with autism?

So my son recently got diagnosed with autism… I’m slowly changing his diet… I need ideas for good cereals for kids without so many dyes in them… please help me out!!

1 Like

My nephew is no dye no dairy.

Everything said already is great advice, make sure high iron foods as well! You’ll probably start a lot of iron and supplements if you haven’t yet already too!

Dye free for sure and no/low sugar, eliminate gluten, dairy, soy. I prefer paleo

3 Likes

If you have an Aldis by you, try there im pretty positive their food is dye free

There are cereals without dyes in them, but I would argue there aren’t “good cereals”. Still full of processed junk and sugar.

Gluten. Free. Less. Carbs. More. Fats

Shop at Aldi. No red dyes in their foods

2 Likes

Aldi OR Trader Joe’s is a great place to shop…at Aldi’s their store brand products don’t have any of the bs in them and Trader Joe’s is pretty healthy as well… Ideally you want no processed foods and instead foods like fruit, Greek yogurt, vegetables, homemade well balanced meals that promote good guy health. HOWEVER, getting a child ESPECIALLY one who’s neurodivergent to eat those things, sometimes they would rather starve quite literally for some. So depending on where you are at with foods right now… just count your blessings! Edit: RED DYE IS THE DEVIL

Feed your ASD child what they would like to eat. It isn’t an animal requiring a special diet. Ironically mine has a Beetroot allergy so all those well-meaning folk end up poisoning him. We eat dairy, soy, gluten and he eats ridiculous amounts of sugar so all that advice is crazy. They don’t have allergies for goodness sake. Some ASD kids have issues eating large amounts so you may need to go for calorie dense or beige foods. Don’t despair if they only want to eat certain things and certainly don’t restrict their diet unless you want them to have an eating disorder. If they’re happily scoffing cheap cookies full of artificial dyes, dairy and gluten you’ll probably end up overjoyed that they ate something.

9 Likes

Cheerios
Frosted flakes or corn flakes
Raised bran
Or wheat puffs

Use the app called Yuka. I scan everything with it when shopping. You can even scan lotions and shower products.

Things labeled vegan are not always but usually safer.

If you have an Aldi near you their brand dosnt use any artificial dyes I have statted getting all my child’s snacks from Aldi bc she has adhd I believe (me and her dad are both diagnosed but I refuse to put her on medication she is only 3)