What is a good tablet for a toddler?

Hello! I’d love to spare the lectures on giving kids tv time and all that. With that said, I’m looking for a tablet for my 2-year-old. He’s very behind on speech, and because of Covid, there aren’t many options for in-person help. The speech pathologist recommended two appts that have proven to be very successful, however, I’m not about to hand over my iPhone or iPad to my rambunctious toddler. Does anyone have any recommendations on a toddler safe tablet that will allow me to download apps without breaking the bank. I appreciate the advice, thanks.

9 Likes

Donna Spencer Do you remember what that blue tablet is? Is it a kindle fire? That thing has lasted forever! My older son (10) got it for Christmas when he was 4ish and now my 2yr old watches Netflix and plays games on it.

I got the Kurio kids tablet at Walmart and u can control app downloads an everything from ur phone too my son loves it an it comes with a silicone case

Kids kindle. It’ll last years.

Amazon fire with a kid case

2 Likes

Amazon fore kids tablet

Dragon touch tablet is what I use for my boys

I’ve got a Samsung Tab A through Verizon, I can control everything about it.

1 Like

Amazon. Yes it a kindle. Shawna Spencer Goentzel.

We love our kids kindle!!! You also get a two year protection program included. They will replace it if your kid breaks it!

Amazon fire is the best for little ones that’s what my boy has xx

The kids Pbs tablet is also a good one for toddlers my two year uses it and loves it

We have an Amazon Fire kids tablet. We got our daughter one and it has a super durable rubber case. I

This is what we have for our LO he loves it and is able to watch only what we allow him to for the limited time :+1:

3 Likes

Amazon fire 100% you get a full warranty with it, return no issue they will send you a new one should it break and you just return the old one in their box. Get the one with the cover. My kids chuck theirs across the house never breAks. It’s totally kid friendly and you can set restrictions. 10000 apps and games and you can use Disney+ and Netflix on them as well for long trips. 1000000000 percent worth the money and they are cheap.

1 Like

I would check the apps and see what devices it is compatible with.
I had to get my not so little boy an ipad since his apps for school we’re only iOs compatible.

I recommend getting an extra micro sd card to go with it. They storage on it isn’t a lot unless you get the newer ones

1 Like

May I ask what apps you were recommended I’ve been trying to find a couple that will my my lil guy

2 Likes

Kids fire tablet. If you are a member of prime you can make monthly payments on it. 2 year warranty. I replaced many tablets.

1 Like

If you don’t wanna spend $100 wait till Black Friday or cyber Monday… they go on sale for 50 percent off.

2 Likes

We had the Barnes & Noble, Nook exactly like a Kindle.

I HATED the Amazon Fire. Ended up getting a iPad and we love it.

I did kids kindle from Amazon it helped in the beginning for long road trips ect but be warned they want it all the time :sweat_smile: it can be extremely exhausting saying no all the time

Amazon!!! But beware if you are an avid apple user, the adjustment is there and you need to have patience lol

Fire kids tablet was WELL worth the money.

I’ve seen a lot parents get the fire tablet. If you can wait until Black Friday though and it’ll be so worth it. They always have them on sale then.

Amazon fire! My 2 yr old lovesssss it. Parental control is absolutely great! And it stays on kid mode.

1 Like

My daughter is now 5 and has had a kid version Kindle fire tablet since she was 1 1/2. She has actually learned a lot from the kids shows on Amazon freetime. Words, colors, letters.

2 Likes

I just got a cheap Walmart tablet for my daughter. A good app I find is YouTube kids. My daughters speech wasn’t great but once she started watching Cocomelon it improved 10 fold

2 Likes

Amazon fire. My 3 year old loves it when she earns time to use it!

There’s one on Amazon that has a plastic cover over the tablet so if it’s thrown or falls it won’t break it’s great for my kids you can get them in pink or blue just look up tablets for kids

1 Like

We got the walmart Leap pad

1 Like

I’ve had it rammed down my throat for seven years (the age of my oldest) by doctors, teachers, etc about not having “too much screen time” yet… now thanks to Covid my kids have to spend nearly triple the amount of time on screens for school work then they ever did. But it’s okay because it’s for education :roll_eyes: I don’t have a problem with them using their tablets and chrome books for school but I just think it’s funny. Point is, don’t beat yourself up for looking for a tablet for you child. We use the Amazon kindle. You can make payments on them, have books on them and download apps.

1 Like

Amazon fire tablet kids edition

1 Like

Make sure the recommended apps are on the device some aren’t available.
I would do a older iPad and a good screen protector and case. My severe autistic son uses iPads believe me they held up better than cheaper tablets.
With exception of the cockroach of tablets, Nabi JR! 8 years later we still have both and they work, we’ve been through 10 or more other tablets. :joy:

My oldest is 5 and she’s had an ipad since she was 1. But my youngest is 2 and we’re probably going to get her that amazon fire tablet for Christmas. I have a samsung tablet I thought about letting her have though.

Amazon fire with the free time app has tons of free games, videos, books and audible books

Love the Amazon fire tablets!

Have you tried the apps on the TV they have a TON of educational ones! Also if the kid enjoys music try to get him to sing along with nursery rhymes. YouTube you can play on your TV as well and has just about everything you can think of on it for free. Id just buy a small smart TV or small TV and roku player for your son n use those apps. We bought the kid fire tablet for our son at 2 but honestly the TV works better. You won’t hear me shaming you for TV mama my son now 3 has learned SO much watching educational shows

I used an Autsimo tablet for my LO but I don’t think they make them anymore.

Both of my kids have iPads. (Spoiled I know)
But they have protective cases and screen protectors. I’ve never had an issue and there is still parental controls. And soooo many learning apps and flash card apps.

Get a leap pad, I got one for each of my kids when they were that age

My son had a nabi and loved it.

My daughter has a kindle fire thinking of getting her an iPad tho because it seems a lot of apps have to be paid for to enjoy full versions … other than that it has been good for her… what are the two apps your speech therapist recommended if u don’t mind me asking? My daughter could use a little help as well. TIA.

I reccomend searching clearance phones/ tablets in various stores. I got my kids phones for $19 last Christmas. They’ve lasted longer than any tablet we’ve had. Whatever you get make sure you get a good case & screen protector on it before you give it to him.

We have a iPad for our 2 year old!!! We have a otter box on ours. An she has abc mouse. Disney plus! Netflix, air tv

Leapfrog epic or a 2-1 laptop/tablet also in Leapfrog range

Honestly you can buy a otter box or something like that for a device you already own if you don’t want to purchase a new one. My kids have had iPads since they were like 3 years old with otter box cases.
We tried an Amazon fire tablet to hard to operate even for my 7 year old. Samsung tablet are okay and pretty easy to operate. Any type you purchase you will need a case for.

I have a Amazon tablet for my 3 year old and my 2 year old will get one for her bday! I like it! Lots of kids shows and my oldest learned to talk by watching Bubble Guppies and Blippi :joy:

It’s not crazy expensive like iPads and has a great protector. I’ve seen this thing be dropped all over the place and it’s still good. You can also download shows and games. I use it a lot for road trips.

My 2 year old has a I pad with a good screen protector and a durable kid case and she’s behind on speech also and she currently downloads her own kid games by herself and she like singalong stuff that’s her favorite right now and tries to mock what they are doing