What is an appropriate bedtime for a 6 and 7 year old?

what time is an appropriate bedtime for a 6 and 7 year old? we’re a military family and have changed schools 3 times in the past 4 years and the starting times ranged from 7:00 to 9:30. my girls have kept a consistent 8pm bedtime because I like to keep their nightly routine the same.

19 Likes

8pm is appropriate. My 6 year old son goes to bed at 7:30pm and starts school at 8am. He needs a good 11 hours of sleep so this works for us

Depends on the child. We generally put them to bed by 8:30 and up at 7 on school days

2 Likes
  1. At the latest my rule is 9:30
1 Like

Mine goes to bed at 7:30

I have a 5 & 7 year olds … at least by 8 pm we start to do bedtime routine about 7:30 teeth. Hair , stories .

1 Like

Mine are 6 and 8 and they are in bed by 8 and end up closing their eyes by 815 during school nights. I let them stay up during the weekends but most of the time they go to bed around that time anyways because they’re so used to it.

2 Likes

8-830 just depends on how active they are but never past 830

When mine were younger baths started at 7 and bed by 8. As they grew older each one got moved back by a half hour. But if they got in trouble it went back a half hour.

2 Likes

My kids 8 and 10 go into the rooms at 730 to wind down and watch TV or read lights off by 8 and or 1 yr old goes down at 730

Wow now this makes me question my kids routine ever since they were little and yet they are now 6 7 and 11 well bedtime has been 9-930p for the younger ones and 1030p for the oldest young ones get up at 630a and oldest up at 645a

Both my kids go to bed at 730. They are 12 and 9
…they are big sleepers, and super active kids. If theres a hockey game on they are both up for the first period of the game, which puts them to bed around 830pm.
Do what works for ur family.

We do 8pm bedtime for two 6yrolds and an 11 yrold. They all catch the bus at the same time 710am. The oldest wakes up at 530 though to shower and have time to get ready , the littles get up between 530 and 635

11, 2, and 1… at 7:30pm for the baby and 8:30pm for the other two. They have to be up at 6:30am to get ready for school/the day.

Our 6 year old starts getting ready for bed at 8 and is ready to go out by 8:30. We are up by 6:20

All 3 of my kids are in bed by 8pm and have to go to sleep by 830pm we get up at 630 am to leave the house by 720am to get to their school by 730am

Mine is 5. Bed at 830

All 3 of my kids are in bed by 8pm because all 3 are up at 6am. Ages 13,11,9

Mine are 9 and 3. They both go to bed every night at 8pm

My 6 year old goes to bed at 730. Any later and we have a not so good day the next day

My daughter is 10. She goes to bed at 9 and wakes up at 5:45 to catch the bus at 630

My son’s are 14 and 16 they are in bed by 9.30

8 PM no exceptions. We are a military family too and on our 3rd duty station. Location doesnt change bedtime. My daughter is 6 almost 7

1 Like

Mine is almost 6 and shes in bed by or before 730.

8pm is when my 3, 4 and 7 yr old all go to bed

We have kids that range from 18months -8 in the house i live in the 2 that are 18months go to bed at 7:30-8at the least and the rest have to be ready for bed and in bed by 8 however we allow 30mins of a movie before bed kinda like some extra wind down time. So this house is quiet and kid free by 8:30pm

Depends on what time they have to get up. The earlier they get up the earlier they need to go to bed so they can get enough sleep. All mine 6,7,&12 go to bed at 8 and get up at 630. My 12 year old will sometimes put herself to bed at 7

Okay so until my oldest 2 were in high school bedtime was 8 pm. Then when they got in high school I bumped it up til 10. Now they are 18 and 19. They both work etc… So I do not have them on a curfew at this point or bedtime if you will but neither have stayed out past midnight thus far. My 20 month old his bedtime is not regimented at this point but he is usually asleep no later than 9 usually he is out by 8.

My kids are 12 11 10 8 6 and 5… Bedtime is at 7:00

Mine has always been 9pm. My almost 12 year old and 6 year old have been on it their entire lives and I really think its helped. They both pass out within 15-20 min and never have an issue with being tired in the morning for school.

During school: 8:30. 10:00 on Fri/Sat nites. No set time during vacation. 10yo

My girls 6 and 7 and they brush their teeth and head to bed at 7p but they have mp3 players until 9p then its lights out.

I think kids. Young need a good 10 to 12 hours

My 2 year old goes to bed between 715-745 his wants. 6 year goes to bed school nights between 830-845 weekends 9-930

My 4 year old has always had a bedtime between the times of 6 pm and 8 pm. When going through a growth spurt when she needs more sleep she will go to bed early like 6ish. If she isn’t feeling well that’s the time as well. Her normal bedtime is 7 pm has been that way since birth. Then 8 pm are on the days she happens to take a nap or fall asleep in the car.

I think 8 PM is a perfect bedtime