What is bilateral tubal ligation?

My doctor keeps referring to a bilateral tubal ligation. What does that mean because i just want my tubes tied

19 Likes

That is the medical term for tubes tied.

1 Like

It means getting your tubes tied, both of them (bilateral)

1 Like

Getting tubes tied. Bilateral just means that both fallopian tubes are being tied.

Meaning he is tying both of them. I had a bilateral salpingectomy meaning they removed both of tubes.

Heā€™s being a little technical :joy:

1 Like

Thatā€™s what youā€™re asking for

They will put little clamps on both your fallopian tubes :slight_smile:

Bilateral means both sides. So tying both tubes.

I had that done three years ago
Itā€™s when they remove your tubes

If you dont understand what the Dr is saying, you tell him that. Ask him to explain it to you so u understand. This is your health and itā€™s your right to stop the Dr. and have him or her explain everything to u so u fully understand. The more you know, you can make a better decision for whats best for you! You decide what you want done and dont! Dr.s arnt always right!

6 Likes

It means theyā€™re tying/cutting/burning/whatever theyā€™re doing, both tubes. In medical terms, Bilateral means ā€œon both sidesā€

Bi means two. So bilateral means youā€™re getting BOTH tubes tied. Google is your best friend right now.

It means tying/ cutting both tubes. Bilateral means both sides.

Really research what u are doing. I HIGHLY recommend you Google getting them removed and the major benefits.

1 Like

Bilateral means both sides.

It does mean getting your tubes tied

My dr said they wont even tie them anymore I had to get mine removed, now a year later Iā€™m scheduled for a hysterectomy next week.

Bilateral mean both tubes

Speaking as an operating room nurse this means they are going to ā€œtieā€ both of your tubes. This can be done a couple of ways. I believe the most common way to do this is by actually removing the tubes. Research is showing that this can reduce your chances of getting ovarian cancer. Please talk to your doctor and get ALL questions answered.

1 Like

A tube removal is a salpingectomy. I had this done in Jan. During my c-section since I was done after my last. Due to health issues and worries about being on the high risk category again, I said we were done.

But truthfully hon, I suggest talking more in depth with your doctor. If you are young, you need more information if you have never heard of a tubal ligation (in the medical terms). No disrespect, not sounding as if I know more, but get as much information as you can on any and all forms of female sterilizationā€¦ and make a choice based on that.

Good luck OP

3 Likes

I had this one done in march, instead of cut and tie they clamp it with a clamp. They said I was too young to do anything else. But had a difficult pregnancy.

Bilateral just means both sides. You have a tube at both ovaries going to your uterus and generally the ovaries alternate sending an egg to the uterus. If only one tube was tied you might still get pregnant from the other side.

2 Likes

Check with WebMD. I doubt anyone here is medical trained in this field.

Ask your Doctor to explain to you in a simple way you will understand. He is the professional and l am sure he or she will gladly help you with questions. Blessings to you.

Tubaligation means cut your tubes for ever no more kids. I had it done.

This is Facebookā€¦ Seriously go talk to your doctorā€¦

3 Likes

It means a procedure accepted in both latitudes of the globe and the courts are still ligating it.

3 Likes

It is commonly referred to as having your ā€œtubes tied.ā€ The surgery blocks your fallopian tubes, preventing sperm from meeting egg, effectively preventing pregnancy. Bilateral means the procedure is being done to both fallopian tubes.

Bilateral means both sides.

2 Likes

You have 2 of them both are tied

1 Like

:no_mouth: and she has children??

Thatā€™s the medical term for tying both tubes

My doctor removed a short section from each tube, then scar tissue sealed up each end.

1 Like

Both tubes will be tied but you should have them burned too.

Bilateral means ā€œ2ā€, so otherwords its both of your tubes,

Thatā€™s what tying your tubes is means both tubes are cut (bilateral means both sides)

2 Likes

Both tubes instead of just one. My dr said mine were tied, cut and burnt. Lol.

Means the same thing, its what its called in medical terms.

This is a question for your healthcare provider.

Ligation= a ligature or suture is tied around the tube. Bilateral: one on each side.

Bi-lateral means 2 sides, they are going to tie both tubes

Why didnā€™t you ask the dr.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a tubal removal

What did it say when you GOGGLED IT?

well in my case it meant they completely remove your tubes. my dr said this is the new normal procedure because it helps prdvent ovarian cancer, so they completely remove both tubes.

Bilateral means both sides. Unilateral means one side.

Bi is 2, lateral is sides, tubal means pertaining to the tubes and ligation is tied.
Bilateral tubal ligation is the tying of both tubes.

You have 2 tubesā€¦ meaning biā€¦ which means theyā€™re going to do BOTH tubes.

Bilateral just means both sides

Bi lateral means both sides.

Jesus if you dont understand what your doctors telling you ask and tell them to clarify.

2 Likes

Bilateral just means both sides.

Wouldnā€™t tie mine got removed

They donā€™t actually ā€œtieā€ them. They go in and cauterize them or you can get something inserted into the tubes that will kind of scar and close them over time.

Iā€™m sorry, but why didnā€™t you ask the doctor if you didnā€™t understand???

That is exactly what you on asking for, shame on your doctor for not putting into terms you could understand

That is the medical term for having your tubes tied.

3 Likes