What is it like having a membrane sweep?

Hello ladies! I just had a doctor appointment today and am 38 weeks and two days. I was offered a membrane sweep and was wondering what y’all’s experience was with it? Does it make the baby come faster? I go to a pregnancy center that just herds pregnant women in and out like cattle and didn’t have the chance to ask. Thank you in advance for your answers❤️

4 Likes

My midwife told me that it was pretty uncomfortable and having it done wouldn’t necessarily make you go into labor any faster. I chose to skip it and delivered 2 days after my due date

Yes, it’s supposed to help you go into labor sooner. It didn’t help my baby come faster but everyone’s body reacts to things differently! By the way congratulations❤️

I had it done on a Friday afternoon and had my baby that Sunday AM

A membrane sweep is pretty painful from what I hear. It pretty much breaks the separation from the sac and the cervix and usually causes labor to occur within 48hrs in the cases I’ve heard but all cases are different. It’s to just avoid being overdue. I’m surprised they actually offered it, doctors here where I live refuse to do it unless you a couple days shy of 40 weeks

1 Like

It hurts Unless your close it doesnt work. 40 weeks I’d say yes 38 I mean if the dr says oh your 3 cm and effaced maybe? But I wanted to kick the dr when he did it.

1 Like

Yeah, no. It’s terrible. Don’t do it. Doctor started “checking” me at 36 weeks and I was sore and it HURTS!

1 Like

I had it done with both pregnancies. It was a little uncomfortable but worth it! I went in to labor the next morning. (Bring a pad with you to the appointment- you bleed afterwards)

2 Likes

Its a littlr uncomfortable you feel pressure it wont make it you go into labor right away but everyone is different i got mine done i was dilating at all but once i got my membrane sweep i dialted 3 centimeters that day right after getting it done and i know this because i went into the hospital thinking i was in labor lol but not baby yet till the next day.

1 Like

I never had one but I only know of my friends having it done if they went past their due date. Otherwise try more natural ways to bring on labor. I did spicy food, black licorice, red raspberry leaf tea and sex. My water broke 34 minutes into my due date. Goodluck and congratulations! :tada:

1 Like

I had one with my last pregnancy it was very uncomfortable and i didn’t go into labor. Everyone is different though

1 Like

Let the baby come when God intended

3 Likes

It’s pretty painful. With my first child I went into labor by that evening, with my second, it took two sweeps and still have to be medically induced to get him out.

1 Like

It’s pretty uncomfortable. Had with two of my pregnancies and didn’t work with either of them. Ended up being induced with both.

1 Like

Everyone is different. With my son, I had it done around 37weeks & 4 days (I was dilated and effaced). It felt a little weird but not painful. I walked and cleaned the house and 2 days later my water broke.

1 Like

I had one with my first pregnancy at 38 weeks. Didn’t work though. I ended up asking to be induced at my 39 week appointment. I plan on getting them swept with my current pregnancy once I get to that point

1 Like

The baby will come in its own time! Be patient.

2 Likes

My water broke 2 days after I had it done. I have 4 kids and that was the only time my water broke on it’s own. It wasn’t painful for me, just a bit weird feeling

1 Like

My doctor did it without telling me and I had my baby 4:30 am the next day lol

1 Like

I would put it off. Unless there is a real reason to do it I would say no.

1 Like

The Dr didn’t ask…withmy 1 st child the Dr did it 4 weeks in a row…it hurt and causes bleeding…they did it all if Oct…baby wasn’t born until 11/26… I was told with next baby that’s there to protect the baby…esp from infection. 1st baby was a clinic…never again.

It was painful for me. I had a membrane sweep at 38 weeks on a Friday and my daughter was born on Sunday. But I wouldn’t do it again. Afterwards I could barely walk to the car and the had prelabor cramps all weekend. Finally they turned into the real thing and she was born a couple days later. With my next child I’m not going to do it.

My sister got it done and went into labor 3 says later. My friend got it done and went into labor 20 minutes later. It takes about a minute and hurts a little.

It MIGHT help start labor. The only thing it did withh all three of my kids was cause bleeding and pain for a few hours. I went 4 days past 2 sweeps, the first kid they did the sweep twice and it didnt work, still went 2 weeks over due.

It never helped me. Most times my cervix is just stubborn. With my 5th after the membrane sweep, I finally seen my bloody show.

I had two done for my first baby and one done for my second. The second one on my first baby helped quite a bit and i delivered the next day, but I was also 39, 6. The second baby I still had to be induced at 39, 2 with. Sometimes it can help start the process but until your body is ready, it won’t truly matter. My sister was at 4 cm for 5 days before she had her baby, I was at 3cm for 3 weeks with my second and still didn’t have him until I had the pitocin. It doesn’t hurt to try!

Natural is ALWAYS Best ! Don’t mess with what You don’t have to. Good luck little Momma, no hurry, no worry.

I never heard of this. Is this something new? Don’t do it. The baby will come when the time is right.

Mine came the next day. Some need a few sweeps