What is it like having placenta previa?

If you’ve been diagnosed with placenta previa, can you please tell me how your experience was? I am currently 19weeks pregnant and have already had two ultrasounds, and both times they’ve told me the baby is completely fine. But a few days ago, I started spotting; it was very light and a brownish color, but I still got scared because I have been thru a miscarriage in the past. I went to the ER, had an ultrasound, and my cervix checked; they said everything looked fine and ordered me to have pelvic rest. Then the very next day, it changed to a very bright red color, and so there I go to the ER again; this time, however, I was told I had placenta previa. I had never heard of this before and am really freaking out, so my question is, should I be worried about the spotting still going on, or is it normal?

8 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What is it like having placenta previa? - Mamas Uncut

I had it with all 4, they told me to be careful but to walk, which I wasn’t very careful, but all 4 moved far enough to deliver. Spotted quite a bit but all were fine

2 Likes

I spotted and bled my entire pregnancy. My placenta was close, but it “moved” enough I had a vaginal birth. Think of a deflated balloon. Put a dot near the mouth. Blow it up. The dot “moves” as the balloon grows. That happened to me. I had ultrasounds near the end to check position.

1 Like

My sister had it. She had full on periods for several months.

2 Likes

I had it with my youngest! Just be careful and try not to do strenuous activity and NO lifting. Mine thankfully went away. Try not to worry yourself too much! As long as you’re careful, you and baby will be just fine :heart:

1 Like

Please don’t be afraid. I had it as well and was terrified but had no issues

1 Like

I had it and spotted also. Mine never moved so ended up with a csection. No lifting and watch how much activity you have. I didn’t limit activity and ended up going into labor at 32 weeks. Baby is almost 2, she is healthy with no medical problems at all!

3 Likes

I had placenta previa but never spotting. But from what I have read on it, it’s a normal side effect. My midwife told me no sexual activity including even orgasm to try to prevent bleeding, so that’s something to consider. Anyhow, it’s not a threat to the baby. Usually as the uterus grows, it pulls the placenta up away from the cervix & corrects itself. This is what happened at my last check up, I was 26 wks. No more placenta previa. Try not to stress!

2 Likes

I had it with my first. I was induced at 41 weeks. When they went to break my water they pierced the placenta and I started gushing blood. Had an emergency c-section

2 Likes

With my now 14 year old i started bleeding heavy at 14 weeks. I bled until i was 33 weeks.

2 Likes

I had it with my current pregnancy, I bled for 3 months straight, full blood clots an all. I was for sure I had a miscarriage several times. No sex! I’ve never bled with any of my other 4 babies. But, we are now 33+3 with a healthy baby an will be delivering soon!:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I had a placenta abruption with my daughter at 30wks. Resulted in her being stillborn. Not quite the same but very similar

2 Likes

Honestly I bled so much it was like a heavy cycle at times. He’s 10 now and perfectly fine. Born at 40 naturally. He flipped at 36 weeks and moved the placenta so we avoided a c section even. Mine started at 19 weeks really bad too. It was absolutely terrifying, but baby was ok

1 Like

I had complete placenta previa… there are different grades. I hemmoraged starting at 16 weeks until delivery. I had heavy period like bleeding every day starting at 16 weeks soaking a pad an hr. I also would at times pass large clots ranging from a golf ball to a cantaloupe. I got hospitalized at 23 weeks after my 3rd life-threatening hemmorage and stayed hospitalized for 80 days until delivery via c section at 34 weeks. My son was then in NICU for 8 days. I received makena injections once a week to try to prevent preterm labor and also betamethasone shots at admission for premature lungs. I hemmoraged a total of 30 something times. Mine was a severe case which also caused a subchorionic hematoma and later turned to partial placental abruption. Most cases aren’t as severe. I hope your pregnancy goes as smooth as possible. Some previas can move up on their own as the uterus grows and expands

2 Likes

I had it with my first and only had light spotting early on in my pregnancy. When I noticed the spotting they gave me a shot of progesterone and I never had an issue after that. I know you can get a shot of progesterone once a week and it will strengthen your uterus so I would bring that up and see if you can get one!

1 Like

I was told I had placenta previa at 24 wks with no spotting or bleeding. My doctor said it was common with women who’ve had previous c-sections. My first baby was delivered via c-section 8 yrs prior. I was told to not lift anything heavier than 5 lbs and to limit physical activity. Baby was born via c-section at 40 wks and normal.

1 Like

Mine grew out of the way

1 Like

I had complete placenta previa. I never spotted any. They took my baby via c section a month early to prevent anything bad happening. Baby was healthy and 7lbs 4oz.

1 Like

Simple: placentas usually move away from the cervical… ultrasound every four weeks than two weeks when due date is near
They will be prepared for this. C-sections are common if these cases.

2 Likes

Quite common and your placenta may move still.

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What is it like having placenta previa? - Mamas Uncut

I had it with my first child i was in best rest for 5 months it was very boring. But he was born happy and healthy:)

I had this and my placenta migrated to a better place before birth. Yes, the spotting can be worrisome, just follow your doctor’s orders.

I had it with my second child… Luckily the placenta migrated to the proper place on it’s own. Keep up on your info and what your doctor says for you to do. I hope you and your little are ok and you get to meet soon… My daughter is now 18 and expecting a child of her own…I hope this is your story one day and you get to share it with your child

1 Like

I had a complete placenta previa where the entire placenta covered the cervical area. I had 2 bleeds during my 2nd trimester. Both resulted in long hospital stays and complete bed rest. I had to quit my job. Then the day my daughter was born (33 weeks gestation) I had a hemorrhage that resulted in 1 liters + blood loss and emergency c section. I had to have blood transfusion and plasma. My daughter was in the NICU for 3 weeks but now 9 years later she is a happy healthy girl.

I’ve been diagnosed this with 2 pregnancies. My first and third one. I had bleeding as well I followed drs orders and everything was fine.

Had this with my last pregnancy. I ran to the er thinking the worst. I was told the same at 12 weeks… It lasted almost 2 months! I had ultrasounds every 2 weeks, it eventually went away but a few days before 39 wks it happened again. I was a scheduled C-section anyways so they went ahead and pushed my date up. He was born healthy!

I was just told this week I have it… my dr said no sex…nothing to be inside me until further notice

1 Like

You need to ask your dr not facebook!

1 Like

Checkout the Placenta Previa & Accreta Support Group Very helpful! I was diagnosed at 20 weeks and it’s been a very supportive site :heart:

I had this on my son . Try not to worry. He’s now 6 and absolutely fine xx x

I had this with our second baby. It is not an unusual condition. Absolutely follow your doctor’s instructions. Though not a rare condition, it is still serious.

my mum had this with my sister.sister is now 53.mum went into hospital for bed rest-normal in those days .sister born a tad early but was 9lb

I had this with my youngest son. I was told that the placenta normally reattached itself and that the bleeding was normal for this condition. They told me I had to have bed rest which I had no chance of doing with a 5 and 6 year old and being a single mum. My son will be 17 in just a few months.

1 Like

I was told this at my 12 week scan, it was the same at 20 weeks then I had another scan at 34 weeks and the placenta had moved and was able to deliver naturally x

The placenta previa is more than likely causing the bleeding. Most cases clear up in later pregnancy when the placenta grows. Just rest as much as possible and drink fluids and wear a pad and keep checking it when u go to the bathroom to make sure it’s not really heavy bleeding. I had that and had bleeding and it cleared up on its own. I know it seems scary but try not to stress to much

I had this with my second and had bleeding at 33 weeks. Stopped after few days and I ended up having him early at 35 wks but they said it was caused by growing baby pressing on the placenta. Made it harder for me to feel movements etc which ofc can be scary but they should book you in for routine scans and monitoring to give you peace of mind.

I had it 4 years ago. They asked me all through out if I bled but I didn’t. So it must be a common thing to bleed if you have it. Inhad regular scans, and they said they’ll leave me till 36 weeks as it can move. But myne didn’t move. I had a section with my daughter. At 36+6 weeks. They won’t want you to go into labour naturally. So it’ll be a section if it doesn’t move xx

1 Like

My daughter had it,absolutely No lifting, pushing or pulling on heavy items at all…Try your best to stay as stress free as possible…Shower only…do not sit in tub with water,it can cause infection to possibly set up where it (placenta) detached…taking it as easy as possible will likely the chance for it to reattach.

Happy anniversary :tada: :heartpulse:

I had it with my 4th child, i was kept in hospital from 20weeks until i had her because my bleeding wouldn’t stop, I believe placenta previa is different for each person but i had it bad, hopefully yours wont be like that x

1 Like

I had it with my last pregnancy and was practically banned from intercourse lol, anyway, I was lucky enough that the placenta had moved by time I gave birth so it’s possible for the placenta to move into a safer place, take it as easy as you can and rest when possible and try not to lift a thing and try not to do heavy stuff ect xx

I had it with my now 4 year old , the only thing it effected was how I was to give birth, I had to have a section, as it would have been dangerous, I’m sure it can alter tho

Hey hun, as you guys already know placenta previa is when the placenta covers the cervix, meaning all the blood vessels feeding your baby are basically right near the opening, bleeding is super common because of all those vessels, and small bleeds which we usually are unaware of are really common, because of where your placenta is you’ll be super aware.
While spotting isn’t uncommon just keep an eye out for cramps etc Obviously keep an eye on how much bleeding aswell and they will keep an eye on you.

The placenta does migrate alot as the uterus expands for bub, mine went from being right next to the cervix, to absolutely nowhere near, it just depends where its attached.
If it doesn’t migrate you’ll just need a caesarian or there’s essentially a plug blocking bubs escape.

I bled murderous amounts on the daily. You basically do nothing. I was put on bed rest twice. At 26 weeks I started having contractions and they gave me medicine to stop the labor. And steroid shots for the babies lungs. I had to stay in the hospital for 27 days bc I live far from the doctor and they suspected complications. At 35 weeks I had an emergency c section due to placental abruption. We were both given blood transfusions. My daughter weighed 4lbs 12oz. She stayed in the nicu for 5 days. I recommend doing minimal walking and activity.

I never had spotting. Just bedrest for a few days and light lifting. The placenta went back to its normal place.

Sounds like a question for your OB-GYN.

I had it with my last pregnancy kept bleeding from 28 weeks had to have bed rest in hospital my little girl was born at 34 weeks due to bleeding heavy lots of rest and no lifting x