What is it like when a child gets allergy tested?

My child has bad allergies and has to get tested soon…what is it like

2 Likes

When my LO had theirs it was a grid drawn on their back and then they did a little dab in each square.

They call it a prick test but I was told there wasn’t anything sharp, that it would just feel like a slight scrap on their skin.

My son had it done on his back. They had these little trays of serums and put them on his back. They waited a while and measured each reaction. When it was over they cleaned him off and administered benadryl spray. He ended up needing allergy shots.

My daughter just had this done in May, she giggled and squirmed the whole time, but they did it quickly. I believe it was 28 spots, the more common known allergies. They said if she was older (she’s 3) they’d do the lesser common ones, I think that was 60+. Turns out, mine has non-allergic rhinitis, not allergies. :woman_shrugging:t3:

The worst thing is the itching and u can’t touch you back

Different testing depending on the age . My granddaughter had both testings. But the one was when she was 16 and that was on her back . It’s a minor prick .

When my son had it done. He was 3 year old. He had to be held down, it will itch. You cannot scratch it. It like a pick thing,. It’s easy. They do it. You have to make sure they don’t touch it. They did it on his back.

Both my boys just had this done. They took blood from them and that was it. However, my oldest has sooo many allergies we need to see an allergist, I’m sure that testing will be a bit different. I was told it would be a bunch of pricks in the arm to determine what they were allergic to and that wasn’t the case. Just keep in mind it could be different depending on where you go and their practice.

Mine had it done last month by blood test