What is Marginal Cord Insertion?

I had my 20 week ultrasound a couple of days ago. I was diagnosed with Marginal Cord Insertion. Does anyone have any experience with this? What are the chances of it being something to worry about. I know it can lead to low birth weight and preterm labor etc. But how likely are these scenarios?

3 Likes

Ask your doctor dummy what he is paid for

10 Likes

I do and I’m now almost 27 weeks and she’s doing great

1 Like

I do & My daughter is measuring in the 43% percent tile so growing well. You’ll most likely get one or two more ultrasounds to make sure baby is on track (as I just had another one at 25 weeks & they want to do one more at 30 weeks)

2 Likes

Op Adds

I just wanted to add that I obviously have spoken with my doctor about it. I’m simply asking for peoples experiences with this issue.

15 Likes

I had this with my daughter and had a ultrasound every 6 weeks after 28 weeks to make sure she was growing. Healthy 8lb 2oz baby here at 38 weeks 6 days. I had preterm labor at 36 weeks but that was dehydration and my first birth was preterm at 36 weeks 6 days, so I doubt it was because of her umbilical cord being in a weird spot. Hope this helps momma. Keep your head up!

I was diagnosed with this and at 37.5 weeks they said my little one was measuring at barely 5 pounds and was all around tiny…well I was induced at 41 weeks so no preterm labor and he was born at a healthy 8.2 pounds. I couldn’t help but laugh when I saw just how wrong they were. It didn’t cause me any complications in my pregnancy other than being closely monitored, having more frequent appointments, and I had a little bit of spotting here and there throughout.

1 Like

My 5 year old was my only baby with marginal cord insertion. My other two babies were 8lbs 4oz(8 days over due) and 7lbs 3oz(a week early.) My 5 year old was born naturally a few days early and only weighed 6lbs 10oz. His head was 15in circumference though. They said based on his chest and head size he would have been well over 8lbs if his cord would have been typical. He grew big, so fast after he was born though :slightly_smiling_face: I had an easy 2 hour labor and birth with him, and the marginal cord insertion only caused him to be smaller.

I did! She stayed breech and and they won’t turn her manually because of the cord so i had a scheduled c section for 39 weeks but my water broke at 37 weeks. Babygirl was 5lbs 5oz 18 inches long. A month old now and doing great😍

I didn’t have this one but I had velamentous cord insertion(sp) which is where all the vessels to her cord were on the outside of the placenta and instead of the cord being in the middle of placenta it was 10cm off Center. My daughter stopped growing at 34 weeks but she continued being active so I gave birth at 39w6days. She was 5lbs 15oz. My midwife said that most women who have that condition generally don’t know about it until they give birth, but I started bleeding at 17w so it was caught.

I didnt have this but my daughter had a two vessle cord that was caught on a 12 week ultrasound. Its similar to what your baby has because it also causes low birth weight. You will probably have to see a highrisk doctor. I had to go twice a week to be monitored with my daughter and ended up having to be induced at 37 weeks due to the blood flow in her umbilical cord stoping completely. She was 4 pounds 9 ounces.

I had marginal cord insertion with my first son. I had extra ultrasounds to monitor his growth. He was born healthy at 39 weeks via csection he was breech) at 6 lbs 6 ounces.