What is the best birth control?

I have 6 days until my 6 week pp check up so I need to make my birth control decision. After my first son I went on the depo shot and loved it. I stayed at a steady healthy weight (no gaining or losing). I am thinking about going back on the depo shot because I had a good experience with it, but this time I am exclusively pumping last baby was formula fed. Has anyone had any issues or any suggestions for birth controls while breastfeeding/pumping?

2 Likes

Long term depo shot can cause problems. I was on it for 5 years roughly and I have so much pain in my shoulders from it. Depending on how long you want to wait to the next one maybe look into an IUD. I had mierna and loved it.

I really like the Nuvaring!

I know on the mini pill you can breastfed but whenever you stop breastfeeding, switch pills or birth control methods. I personally gained a lot of weight on the pill once i stopped pumping and breastfeeding

Depo is safe while breastfeeding.

I would go with the IUD. It’s good for allowing for breastfeeding and you don’t have to go back every few months for another shot. I had the Mirena IUD. I did keep it in a year too long, but had no negative long term effects.

Mini pill. Acne is a small issue for me from it. Dropped my libido a bit too. But mine is high. So i still have sex quite often. Stopped breastfeeding in jan. Still on mini pill. I cant take regular estrogen birth control because i have a history of “aura” migranes.

I had twins on the depo shot. God has jokes for me :joy::woman_shrugging:this picture below is when I found out I was 12 weeks. When my periods stopped I linked it to the depo shot lol.

Anything with estrogen will likely affect supply. Use condoms.

I was on the nuvaring after my oldest and loved it. I was still able to breastfeed, only downside was it made me a raging psycho. :grimacing:
I’m now 3 months PP and have the kyleena IUD. No issues with breastfeeding plus Dr said hormones stay in your uterus so no psycho! Woo! I love my IUD so far. And since kyleena is the smallest of the IUDs, insertion was a breeze. :tipping_hand_woman:t2: