What is the best birth control?

BC is not one size fits all, Yelp review kinda product. The effects are all over the board. You won’t know how it affects you until you try it. For example, I see people saying Nexplanon worked great for them. Fantastic. It made me so uncharacteristically emotionally fragile that I cried while doing my taxes when the preparer asked what I was going to go with the refund. Like full on, sobbing randomly over the most inappropriate things. Literally had me questioning my sanity. And then there was the weight gain. Depo however agrees with my system. But not the next person.

1 Like

Honestly you’ll get a lot of different opinions on what the “best” birth control is. The best thing to do is discuss all the different options with your doctor as well as doing research but even then, you’ll likely have to try a few to see what works well with your particular body chemistry. Personally I LOVED depo and didn’t have ANY negative side effects. The worst for me was nexplanon.

Currently I am taking a hormone pill since I am breast feeding. Doctors refer to it as the “mini pill”. I’m 4 months postpartum and I’m not pregnant yet so it seems to be doing its job :rofl: but, honestly, you can’t go off what works for other people. I had the traditional pill and if I was late taking it by even an hour I would get my period immediately. Then I had the patch which I loved but it was kind of annoying sometimes.

If you plan on breastfeeding PLEASE talk to lactionist as the hormones can/will affect your supply.

6 Likes

I’ve only heard bad things about nexplanon… I get the depo vera shot every 3 months and it’s great. No weight gain and no periods!

3 Likes

All hormone birth control can cause increase appetite hense weight gain. However definitely talk to Dr on what u r expecting out of birth control. Different strokes for different folks as all our bodies r different.

I love my nexplanon. This will be my third time having it. It stopped my periods and I actually lost some weight. And had no real side effects from it.

3 Likes

I hated the nexplanon personally. It made me bleed constantly, but that has been every hormone based birth control I’ve had. Just because its awful for someone else, doesn’t mean it’s not a good fit for you. Just talk to your doctor. The beauty of the nexplanon is that even though its a 3 year birth control, you can get it taken out whenever if it’s not working for you.

everyone’s different personally in my case I take the pill the first few weeks of course I’d forget but managed to set an alarm for every single day at 6pm to take it and I’d make sure to keep it In my wallet cause I take that everywhere I go when I leave home I’ve been taking it the past 2 years since I had my son and it’s worked for me & my periods come every month for 3-4 days no heavy bleeding and I haven’t had spotting either so I prefer it

Nexaplom was great for me, didn’t gain any weight, got it removed for endometriosis surgery… iuds made me bleed all the time. Debating getting another!

The nexplanon did cause me to gain weight. It was about 10 to 15 lb over 3 years. It also made my period really unpredictable. I would have none for 2 mo. and then I would have it for a week every other week for about 2 months. The last one was a full three weeks straight. Not to mention that I had lower back pain sensitive boobs and cramps I had not experienced since I was a teenager. For me it was the worst that I had ever used. In October I will be going back to the IUD.

I did best with the patch, any that stay in my body caused my periods to be never ending. Depo caused me to gain ungodly amounts of weight that I cannot get off then I switched to the patch and it was my favorite but I ended up just getting my tubes fully removed as a permanent form at the beginning of this year.

Nexxplannon was the worst birth control I ever used. I bled constantly for months, I had more frequent migraines, and when I wasn’t bleeding I would bleed when I had sex. I don’t mean a little blood, I mean I had to get a new mattress because it looks like somebody got their throat slit and bled out all over my mattress. Also it moved. Like an inch down and it sunk into my arm.
I would look into IUDs personally, the mirena was a good choice for me personally.

2 Likes

I have had the Kyleena IUD for just over a year and I LOVE it. It’s like the Mirena but has a lower does of hormone. My periods have become super light and I’ve had zero weight gain. I actually weigh less now than I did pre-pregnancy. The only side effect I got was some light sensitivity the first 2 weeks after it was put in, I just didn’t go out in the sun much. But now, I have no side effects at all. I’m not the greatest at remembering to take pills, so this is super convenient. Just have it inserted and forget about it for 5 years!

I hated nexplanon. Messed my clockwork cycle up and when I did get a period it was AWFUL. It also made me severely depressed and hated sex. As soon as I got off of it I felt much better, and my sex drive came back as well.

1 Like

I have iud… for the last 10 years …Mirena have to a new one every 5 years but awesome on light period or none at all

1 Like

I’ve had basically every contraception except the Mirena, I can’t have it anyway. I’ve three children while on different ones, the pill, the high strength pill and the depo shot. I’ve also had three other pregnancies that didn’t come to term (miscarriage early on). Its best to talk to the doctor on what you would prefer as in side effects, and whats safest while breastfeeding. What works for some women don’t work for others. Good luck with your bub

If you want to be healthy use ovia fertility app and ovulation strips instead, I’ve tried every form of birth control and they’re so bad for you :pray:

iud has always been my favorite…i actually lost 50 lbs on it

3 Likes

I have a mirena. Been in about two years now and I love it so much. Never gained a pound. Rarely get a period and if I do it’s just light spotting. Never affected my mood like other birth controls did and never effected me breastfeeding my baby either

1 Like

Well it’s like I’ve told my children since becoming of age to know and ask and understand about sex…the only absolute birth control in this life that is 100% fool proof is…NOT FKN…and yes I’ve said it exactly like that a dozen times if the subject came up…otherwise you are always taking a risk even being doubly protective (pills,condoms,shots, surgeries) none of them are fool proof…but NOT FKN, that works 100% of the time lol…

1 Like

I didn’t notice any weight gain with Nexplanon, as long as you workout. I also loved the xulane patches.

Mirena has been good for me. I gained weight but I love myself anyways to not be insecure. A happy mom is all that matters to your kids. Not your appearance.

Note other comments every body will react differently to most BC.

Didn’t gain weight with Nexplanon but definitely moody in the beginning and definitely messed up my period cycle. But everyone is different!

Everyone reacts differently. I had the nexplanon with my first for 2 years. The first year i didn’t get my period at all. and i asked for it to be taken out the second year. Got pregnant with my second son that year. Now after having my 3rd last year first girl i have the nexplanon in again over a year now only thing is haven’t gotten my period yet again

I have tge paraguard it’s horrible for me now. I’m looking into the patch or nexplanon. I like the shot but can’t get it because it will make my migrains worse I was told. Bedsider.org. is a great website to see pros and cons also cost of all options

No IUD. Too risky. Had to have mine surgically removed with 15 months. Ruined my uterus which was removed 2 years later. Not worth it. Good luck!

I had my periods stop. The weight gain sucked. O and baby #3 is sound asleep at 8 years old. But I am now having fertility issues so its a toss up. Every one is different

If you plan to breast feed, that will limit your options.

1 Like

Nexplanon did not cause me to gain weight, that dosent happen to everyone

Condoms. Never going to put birth control poison, uh I mean medicine, in me ever again.

4 Likes

The copper IUD since has 0 hormones so it doesn’t have to affect you.
Besides if you plan to breastfeed I think you cant have something that has hormones…

U might put one weight with nexplanon buuuut U will put on more if U get pregnant :pregnant_woman:

I’m on my 2nd nexplanon and after a condom baby and a pill baby this is the only thing that I’ve used and haven’t fallen pregnant on lol.

Love my nexplannon and no bad side effects!

I have had nexplanon for three years… zero sex drive and just recently started bleeding 3 weeks each month …

Iud I got pregnant on the pill and the Depo shot is AWFUL. Do not get it

Nexplanon is one of the more dangerous ones and is similar to depo is the sense it will make you gain weight

Gained 20lb first month with Mirena and got it the 6 weeks after I gave birth too, so stay away.

U don’t want to use to use Depo Shot either u gain tons of weight and hard to lose it when u come off only, mood swings and all too , only thing food about it was no periods … For me

It was the worst birth control I’ve ever been on, I had my period for 7 months straight, and when I finally had enough the new doctor I had, was fishing around in my arm for 15 minutes bitching about why women shouldn’t get it. Depo for me.

I love my Nuvaring, less side effects than the pill or depo shot

1 Like

Well I always learned abstinence is the best birth control…other then that your chancing anything else really. Condoms break and pills sometimes don’t work…and I have had friends get pregnant on the shot.

2 Likes

I didn’t experience any weight gain however I bled(had a period) non stop after having it out in. For almost 2 years I bled non stop until I was able to afford to have it removed.
I’m on nuva ring now and have had no issues

1 Like

Copper IUD has no hormones so won’t affect your weight, mood etc

You kind of have to just pick one and maybe it’ll work for you, maybe you’ll have to pick another. I have the nexplanon. I love it, no side effects, no period, it’s been really a place it and forget it method for me.

I have paragaurd. I chose it because it has 0 hormones

Mirena, 8 years in…no issues here

Those saying abstinence are not being realistic or giving helpful advice.

A vasectomy for your significant other.

Get your tubes tied.

Abstinence. Otherwise nothing is 100%

5 Likes

IUD. If it’s non hormonal it shouldn’t interfere with breastfeeding.

Do you want more children or are you done? I was done and got my tubes removed.

1 Like

I have the implant in my arm. Didnt gain weight. I put myself on a low carb high protein diet.

I’m on my 2nd nexplanon. Just had my first one replaced this week actually. I love it and especially love not having a period. I gained 25 pounds during my pregnancy but lost a total of 80 pounds once I got it. Haven’t had any real side effects from it either. I love love love it! I’ve also tried the pill, the patch and Mirena, and Nexplanon has been my fave! The worst for me was the Mirena.

Little too late sister.

The kind that works.

Im sorry…that was super lame…i just felt the need to say it.:wink::laughing:

Carry on…

BC in general scares me with all the side effects. Lol. But it’s better than getting pregnant again. Never had issues with the patch. Gained a ton of weight on the shot in just 6 months. After my 5th son born last year I decided to try the mini pill. Been on it for almost a year now and haven’t had any issues other than slight nausea the first month or 2. And if you plan on breastfeeding the mini pill is good for that.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What is the best birth control? - Mamas Uncut

Im on the ring. I change it every 4 weeks, rarely have periods. I didnt notice any weight gain with it. Cant really feel it during sex and if I want it out, I can just take it out and stop it without needing a dr visit. Last time I stopped it, my periods went back to regular in 2-3 months.

I have had the copper iud- ParaGard. No hormones, so no side effects. Lasts 10 yrs, but I took it out after 3 so we could have a second baby. I loved it.

1 Like

I Hated nexplanon. I got it removed after a year and switched to the copper iud. No hormones made a huge difference for me!

1 Like

I love my mirena! No period in 3.5 years! :grin:

Abstinence or condoms. Doesnt effect your hormones. I will never take birth control again

2 Likes

I was on the depot shit and honestly I liked it at first…but than I gained alot of weight from it…I stopped taking it 4 months ago and I still haven’t had a period…I wanted to get the pill but I’m prone to blood clots so they suggested it…never again!

My experience has been decent so far. I have endometriosis, which can cause a negative impact with any birth control. As any birth control, you’re going to have the weight gain/loss, mood swings, headaches, irregular bleeding, etc warnings. The experience is different for everyone due to the body’s chemicals and genetic makeup. My opinion- I would definitely give it a try. As soon as you don’t want it, remove it and it’s effects with disappear with it. The only concern I would express to you is the emotional changes it can cause. I’ve had A TIME with that, but that comes with endometriosis as well. Don’t be afraid to try it. It may be one of the best things for you and your body.

No birth control is 100%, obviously. I would just look up the side effects off all you are considering and weigh out the pros and cons. My sons girlfriend had nexplanon since September. No period, gained about 10 pounds. All normal nothing out of the ordinary. But she didn’t feel right and went to her OBGYN and negative pregnancy test (twice). This pass Sunday she started having stomach pains. Long story short, she was 38 weeks pregnant and had NO clue. The baby is perfect. She thought she was feeling gas bubbles. So now I’m a Gigi to a beautiful baby boy. So if you do get on it and have concerns have them run blood tests or do an ultrasound.

I had the older implanon. It was great. No symptoms and no period or spotting for 2 years. Loved it. Then i changed to the nexplanon… didnt like it, a lot of symptoms and bleeding. Switched to the copper IUD.

I absolutely loved my nexplanon!

I currently have the ring…and like it so far. Cant feel it really and if I want to stop it I can… I started it like a month post partum. I was on the pill for years and feel like it made me gain weight.

I had the nexplanon three times. The first time was amazing. I was never sick, didn’t gain weight, and had normal periods. The second time I got it removed bc I had migraines and was sick all the time. The third time I gained weight bad and was sick ALL the time.

Mirena. Loved it. Was improperly placed tho. Now on Yaz… Much better

I loved the nexplanan! Didn’t really gain weight. Very moderate periods if any every 3months or so

I’ve only tried the pill and would recommend it. I’ve heard and read bad things about the other forms of bc that I don’t want to try anything else. Good luck

Nexplanon was the worst for me it gave me a year long period :woman_facepalming:t2: the depo shot worked the best for me. The thing with that though is it’s different for everyone. I had no weight gain no periods at all nothing no negatives but some have gained weight. It’s every 3 months

I had the Nexplanon and it was AWFUL. Weight gain, zero sex drive, horrible acne and my periods never stopped. Like I was on my period for months straight. I got it taken out over a year ago, after having it in for less then 6 months and nothing has changed. I know people who love the nexplanon but I hated it.

I got the mirena IUD at my six week postpartum apt and I think its great. It took a month to soften and spotting to stop but after that no complaints, it lasts 5years. I’ve even been losing weight easily.

So, I actually worked for a dr that used to put in Nexplanons and IUDs.
99% of our patients who had the Nexplanon placed, had it removed within months due to irregular periods, constant bleeding and mood swings.
The most popular birth control was the Mirena. The Mirena is an IUD and most patients had 0 periods and if they did bleed, it was very light. It also is good for 5yrs.
With all hormonal birth control though, there is a chance for weight gain, but I did not hear many patients complain about this while on the Mirena.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to reach out and I’ll answer what I can!

3 Likes

I hated nexplanon. I got it removed like 4 months after getting it. I was getting awful migraines daily that would put me in the hospital at least once a week, come to find out the hormones in the implant caused cysts to grow on my brain. They dissipated as soon as I got the implant removed.

Had a friend on that one and she hated it. Said it made her psycho, made her gain a lot of weight which shes still trying to lose and she’s had it removed for a few years now. And her periods were way worse than before.

From personal experience myself though, don’t get para guard either. Deep rooted acne. Made my periods 3x longer which lead me to have to take iron pills cause I was low. And weight gain. All things they said shouldn’t happen but the copper in it messes with you because it’s gets absorbed into your body.

I had nexplanon, and loved it! No periods! … I’ve also never had a problem with hormonal bc.

1 Like

I’m in my second one. Had it for a total of 5.5 years. I love it. No period, no side effects, no remembering to take a pill or a shot.

Im on my 3rd nexplonon. I love it. No weight gain, some abnormal periods but nothing major. Its the only type I’ll use.

I’ve been on depo injection for 15 years I gained weight but have lost 10st, no period no side effects xx

I have had a total of 3 nexplanon and 1 implanon I hated the implanon I bleed the entire 3 years I was on it but have no problems at all with the nexplanon I have remained the weight I was at my heaviest during my pregnancy but haven’t really tried to lose it yet but I’m pretty sure that’s just bc I eat like food is going out of style or like each meal is gonna be my last or something hahahaha not bc the birth control I had 2 before getting pregnant with my daughter and i got one in 6 weeks after having her!! I wouldn’t recognize getting on anything until at least 6 weeks after birth to give you body and hormones time to level out a little!!

I have the hormone IUD the only thing I have is really bad acne and the mites in my face are more active than other peoples

So every one is different. There are plenty good review and plenty of bad reviews. For me: Nexplanon has been a blessing. I had it removed November 2018 to try for a baby. Was pregnant 3 weeks later.

Decided to have an endometrial ablation June of last year to easy things up a bit, ive always had super crazy cycles. But that didn’t help much. Got another Neplanon March of this year and haven’t had a cycle yet. No side effects, no weight gain due to it, no crazy emotions.

I can never remember to take a pill. I gained 5 lbs on Depo. Got pregnant on Nuva Ring. And bled for almost 18 months straight with Mirena.

So you really cannot make a decision based on other people’s experiences. I know a lot of women who have loved the IUD. I don’t know anyone else who has gotten pregnant using Nuva Ring. So try it out and make a decision for you

I don’t recommend the nexplanon. I’m currently waiting to get mine removed

Paraguard! No hormones and good for 10 years! I had worse cramps but other than that no complaints!

2 Likes

I have Mirena, going on 3 years no periods. Only side effect was migraines they were off an on for a few days.

I put my daughter on it & she gained 60 pounds in 7 months. She was very active, so we had it taken out

My body responded poorly to the implanon (old version of nexplanon) I got the Mirena this time had it almost 9 months now seems to be working well

My ob explained that it got approved for 5 years instead of 3 when I called around the 3 year mark to see about the removal so thats a huge plus is it lasting longer. But I had it taken out before I even hit the 4 year mark. I gained a bunch of weight slowly but surely and it was impossible to lose it even with extreme dieting and excerise and other methods I used to try and qualify for the Navy. I also have mental health issues and my depression was so much worse. I was told that some woman may not have their period after 1 year and that my flow will change. Mine got pretty light after a while but it did not go away all the way… i would start very very light spotting and it would be very light all the way through but sometimes it would last 3 days sometimes i would bleed for 3 weeks. I’ve tried to ask about this issue but was told that no consistency is guaranteed :unamused:.I would also induce my period every time I had sex unless my hubby was very gentle which is such a downer when you’re trying to enjoy yourself with your partner personally. My experience was all over the place, it works for some but I would not go for it ever again.

BC reacts differently with everyone. My body rejected every kind of BC. Nexplanon didn’t have me gaining weight , it actually made me loose my appetite. I’ve been off for almost 6 months , and still cannot eat the same. But again, it’s different for everyone. BUT …BC isn’t the way go lose weight. I mean just change your diet or do cardio if that’s the only reason you want on BC. My experience, it sucked. Not a day went by I didn’t bleed or cramp bad. And again, couldn’t eat to the point I was getting extremely light headed. BC is something you’d have to try for yourself because it really does affect others differently. You can get ideas from others experience, but chances are, you’ll have a different experience just like everyone else

Everyone reacts differently, I’m currently on Nexplanon and have had nothing but bad reactions. I got it in December, two months after my daughter was born, and had constant bleeding and abdominal pain until April. I couldn’t hold any food down which resulted in me losing a ton of weight, and being sick constantly. I have been miserable, I also developed an ovarian cyst the size of a grapefruit while on it. Since then, I’m on Nexplanon, but they also put me on the pill to “outweigh and fix the negatives”, but I have also heard people who have had amazing experiences!! It’s really up to your body, but it’s always best to be aware.

Depo is hard NO from me. It’s the devil.

1 Like

Nothing that stops your period. People say its ok but anything that stops a normal bodily function can cause more issues imo.

All bodies react differently. For me, the pill and the Nuvo ring caused me to gain a lot of weight and took about a year for my body to get back to “normal” so now I don’t fuck with any birth control. Condoms are just fine.

I had that twice never had issues loved it :slight_smile:

I use the copper coil it’s non hormonal so no side affects and lasts upto 10 yrs xx