What is the best birth control?

I got the mirena IUD at my six week postpartum apt and I think its great. It took a month to soften and spotting to stop but after that no complaints, it lasts 5years. I’ve even been losing weight easily.

So, I actually worked for a dr that used to put in Nexplanons and IUDs.
99% of our patients who had the Nexplanon placed, had it removed within months due to irregular periods, constant bleeding and mood swings.
The most popular birth control was the Mirena. The Mirena is an IUD and most patients had 0 periods and if they did bleed, it was very light. It also is good for 5yrs.
With all hormonal birth control though, there is a chance for weight gain, but I did not hear many patients complain about this while on the Mirena.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to reach out and I’ll answer what I can!

3 Likes

I hated nexplanon. I got it removed like 4 months after getting it. I was getting awful migraines daily that would put me in the hospital at least once a week, come to find out the hormones in the implant caused cysts to grow on my brain. They dissipated as soon as I got the implant removed.

Had a friend on that one and she hated it. Said it made her psycho, made her gain a lot of weight which shes still trying to lose and she’s had it removed for a few years now. And her periods were way worse than before.

From personal experience myself though, don’t get para guard either. Deep rooted acne. Made my periods 3x longer which lead me to have to take iron pills cause I was low. And weight gain. All things they said shouldn’t happen but the copper in it messes with you because it’s gets absorbed into your body.

I had nexplanon, and loved it! No periods! … I’ve also never had a problem with hormonal bc.

1 Like

I’m in my second one. Had it for a total of 5.5 years. I love it. No period, no side effects, no remembering to take a pill or a shot.

Im on my 3rd nexplonon. I love it. No weight gain, some abnormal periods but nothing major. Its the only type I’ll use.

I’ve been on depo injection for 15 years I gained weight but have lost 10st, no period no side effects xx

I have had a total of 3 nexplanon and 1 implanon I hated the implanon I bleed the entire 3 years I was on it but have no problems at all with the nexplanon I have remained the weight I was at my heaviest during my pregnancy but haven’t really tried to lose it yet but I’m pretty sure that’s just bc I eat like food is going out of style or like each meal is gonna be my last or something hahahaha not bc the birth control I had 2 before getting pregnant with my daughter and i got one in 6 weeks after having her!! I wouldn’t recognize getting on anything until at least 6 weeks after birth to give you body and hormones time to level out a little!!

I have the hormone IUD the only thing I have is really bad acne and the mites in my face are more active than other peoples

So every one is different. There are plenty good review and plenty of bad reviews. For me: Nexplanon has been a blessing. I had it removed November 2018 to try for a baby. Was pregnant 3 weeks later.

Decided to have an endometrial ablation June of last year to easy things up a bit, ive always had super crazy cycles. But that didn’t help much. Got another Neplanon March of this year and haven’t had a cycle yet. No side effects, no weight gain due to it, no crazy emotions.

I can never remember to take a pill. I gained 5 lbs on Depo. Got pregnant on Nuva Ring. And bled for almost 18 months straight with Mirena.

So you really cannot make a decision based on other people’s experiences. I know a lot of women who have loved the IUD. I don’t know anyone else who has gotten pregnant using Nuva Ring. So try it out and make a decision for you

I don’t recommend the nexplanon. I’m currently waiting to get mine removed

Paraguard! No hormones and good for 10 years! I had worse cramps but other than that no complaints!

2 Likes

I have Mirena, going on 3 years no periods. Only side effect was migraines they were off an on for a few days.

I put my daughter on it & she gained 60 pounds in 7 months. She was very active, so we had it taken out

My body responded poorly to the implanon (old version of nexplanon) I got the Mirena this time had it almost 9 months now seems to be working well

My ob explained that it got approved for 5 years instead of 3 when I called around the 3 year mark to see about the removal so thats a huge plus is it lasting longer. But I had it taken out before I even hit the 4 year mark. I gained a bunch of weight slowly but surely and it was impossible to lose it even with extreme dieting and excerise and other methods I used to try and qualify for the Navy. I also have mental health issues and my depression was so much worse. I was told that some woman may not have their period after 1 year and that my flow will change. Mine got pretty light after a while but it did not go away all the way… i would start very very light spotting and it would be very light all the way through but sometimes it would last 3 days sometimes i would bleed for 3 weeks. I’ve tried to ask about this issue but was told that no consistency is guaranteed :unamused:.I would also induce my period every time I had sex unless my hubby was very gentle which is such a downer when you’re trying to enjoy yourself with your partner personally. My experience was all over the place, it works for some but I would not go for it ever again.

BC reacts differently with everyone. My body rejected every kind of BC. Nexplanon didn’t have me gaining weight , it actually made me loose my appetite. I’ve been off for almost 6 months , and still cannot eat the same. But again, it’s different for everyone. BUT …BC isn’t the way go lose weight. I mean just change your diet or do cardio if that’s the only reason you want on BC. My experience, it sucked. Not a day went by I didn’t bleed or cramp bad. And again, couldn’t eat to the point I was getting extremely light headed. BC is something you’d have to try for yourself because it really does affect others differently. You can get ideas from others experience, but chances are, you’ll have a different experience just like everyone else

Everyone reacts differently, I’m currently on Nexplanon and have had nothing but bad reactions. I got it in December, two months after my daughter was born, and had constant bleeding and abdominal pain until April. I couldn’t hold any food down which resulted in me losing a ton of weight, and being sick constantly. I have been miserable, I also developed an ovarian cyst the size of a grapefruit while on it. Since then, I’m on Nexplanon, but they also put me on the pill to “outweigh and fix the negatives”, but I have also heard people who have had amazing experiences!! It’s really up to your body, but it’s always best to be aware.

Depo is hard NO from me. It’s the devil.

1 Like

Nothing that stops your period. People say its ok but anything that stops a normal bodily function can cause more issues imo.

All bodies react differently. For me, the pill and the Nuvo ring caused me to gain a lot of weight and took about a year for my body to get back to “normal” so now I don’t fuck with any birth control. Condoms are just fine.

I had that twice never had issues loved it :slight_smile:

I use the copper coil it’s non hormonal so no side affects and lasts upto 10 yrs xx