What kind of formula should I choose for my baby?

Hey, I’m needing help on picking a formula for my baby suggestions, please? There is Too much to choose from!

3 Likes

Hospitals usually start babies on similac advanced then change it based on how babies stomach handles the formula

1 Like

It’s more like what will ur baby choose. Lol
Start with whatever they give you at the hospital and see how ur baby does with it. Go from there.

2 Likes

Ask your pediatrician, in case your child needs any special nutrients

1 Like

Hospital will give the baby formula to start with. If it doesn’t work ask your Dr about other formulas. I personally breast fed my first born. Nothing better than colostrum for them when they first enter this world.

1 Like

I do enfamil gentlease … it’s a safe bet!

7 Likes

The walmart brand is really close to enfamil and cheaper

1 Like

Similac or honest company, ask your pediatrician they will give free samples. Sign up for free samples in the mail similac Enfamil they send set of 3 cans and coupons.

2 Likes

Hospitals have contracts with different manufacturers. One of my girls got Gerber from one hospital the other got Similac. It depends more so on the needs of the baby, the baby’s digestive tolerance than anything else and of course cost for the parents. We used enfamil gentleease with one and similac pro sensitive with the other.

1 Like

I actually went with the target formula for my son and it sat better with him then the big brands and was half the price.

1 Like

Is baby born yet?
Typically its simulac advance but if you see baby spitting us alot or fussy or gassy or such then you adjust formula with recommendation of your childs doctor.

Soy formula can mess with the males reproduxtive system. A nice alternative to this is nutramigen… your baby will chose tho but def do your research, as formula is man made. Figure out whats best. If you get WIC, target is a great place to cash in those vouchers. They often have deals with gift cards if you spend so much on baby stuff.

Wait until your baby is born if baby isn’t here yet.
Odds are the formula you buy before baby is born is the formula your baby will not tolerate.
I’d look at cost, size of container & prep.
Are you willing to mix in bulk? Concentration liquid would be an option to consider. Are you wanting you planning on using daycare? Then look at per serving packs or 12.5 can for day use.
Look at the nutrition facts. Generic formula is just the same as name brand. Formula is regulated by the FDA. They can’t sell it unless it meets certain standards.
If you think baby has a problem ADDRESS in hospital. They change it & see how baby does.

I used gerber good start at first and my little had a lot of spit up with it then we switched to walmart brand gentle. He loved it and it was SO much easier on our wallet! I’d start with the walmart one and see how they do on it and go from there!

My doctor always picked !

Parents choice (Walmart brand) was the only one that my oldest wouldn’t spit up or get a diaper rash from. It’s just as good as name brands (in our case, better) and we only spent $25 a week on it.

If you qualify for WIC I’d start them on something WIC approved. Just a thought!

It’s not really up to you unfortunately lol whatever works best for baby!! The hospital will give you something like enfamil or similac regular formula

1 Like

My son uses elecare right now because he has a dairy allergy, he will be switching to elecare jr tomorrow since he’s now one.

We used similac as thats what was automatically approved through WIC and what the hospital gave us when he was born

We used nutramigen because it was better on spit up and stomach aches but it is pricey.

We used parents choice for both of our kiddos and it was great for them!

1 Like

I always went with the store brand of Enfamil. But it’s really up to your baby. He/she may need some kind of special formula like Gentle or something else.

We used the target brand. They always offer gift cards sales. Helped cut the cost some.

We went through a bunch of different formulas with our kiddo until we found one that did not upset her. Gerber soothe is what we used.

Enfamil A+, used it with all four of my kids

Similac advance worked great for my kids

Hospital used enfamil A+ gentlease for my little preemie no problems no upset tummies or real spit up problems. Good luck :slight_smile:

Talk to the pediatrician or go to website and get samples for formulas… sometimes you need to go threw a few to find the right one

The one that works best.
You’ll have to test them & see what works best for your baby!
I went through countless types until we found the one that the baby could keep down.

Fir sensitive tummies, i had to use Enfamil Gentle ease stuff. My poor baby wouldn’t poop without it. He had to go to the hospital a couple times to have them extract poops from him until i put him on that formula. Tried the soy and nothing worked but that stuff :+1: BUT it’s expensive so :woman_shrugging:

Both of mine have been on Enflamil since day one, but we just switched our daughter to Meijer brand, which is literally the same thing, just with a different brand name on it. They’ve done great!

My babies were on aptamil in hospital so carried on using it when went home

We used nutramigen, would definitely recommend!

Get something gentle on the tummy

Pro advanced Similac is what I used and my baby never had any problems with it.

1 Like

Just know that every baby is different and you may end up changing formula.

I’ve had to change formula many times now, but we started with Enfamil Gentlease. It worked great for awhile, but as my daughter got older, her needs changed

Start with something simple talk to your doctor a lot of babies end up needing to be switched a couple times.

Earths Best Organic is what we used!

Pro advance similac is what we used. Alot of formula companys will send you samples if you register in their website. Every child is different.

1 Like

Only you know your baby! However, I started my baby on Enfamil Enspire because it has Lactoferin which is also found in breast milk so I felt comfortable giving it to her to help her develop. We have switched since then because it was giving her constipation. She now takes Enfamil Nutramigen because the proteins are easier to break down so she can digest easier.

I used silimiac sensitive. But every baby is different and different hospital have different kinds for when your there.

1 Like

I’ve always used enfamil gentlease, or the generic brand when I needed to save money. I did research on what was closest formula to breast milk then observed my sons behavior

My pediatrician says they don’t recommend soy based formula. Which I believe is what Similac is. My son was always gassy so when I was forced to stop giving him breast milk I went with Enfamil Gentle Ease.

1 Like

Similac is known to cause tummy issues for a lot of babies :confused: Not all but a lot…

I stick with what the hospital starts mine on, unless they have problems. This time it’s Enfamil which is supposed to be great

1 Like

The only one my son could handle was gerber soothe

If you are participating in WIC they only do similac and have to have a dr write a percription for a different kind of similac if the regular bothers the tummy. Both mine had similac sensitive

1 Like

It’s honestly all trial and error.
I started with Enfamil. My son got constipated badly with super hard gas.
Similac gave him non-stop Diarrhea.
Then i tried Meijer Baby brand and it worked perfectly

We always do enfamil gentlease

1 Like

Enfamil. Similac was a pain until we tried soy for my first baby

I always used enfamil

Usually wic or the hospital will start you off with a certain formula

1 Like

Whatever baby gets at the hospital

1 Like

I’ve used Enfami Neuropro with both of mine.
Shit gets expensivetho.
My 6 month old goes thru about $150 a month on formulan thats with the value sizes at Sam’s Club.

The hospital did Similac but WIC did Good Start the orange can

It depends on what your baby likes. Enfamil is great because there are a LOT of options should an issue arise like lots of gas, constipation, reflux, ect. You can also sign up for samples and coupons to help with the cost.

I’ve also used organic earths best and costco brand…mixed as they got older and tolerated more as I weaned from breastfeeding …basically they all have to meet same nutrition criteria its a matter of protein source/breakdown and lactose.

Gerber soothe is great it’s calms fussiness colic gas

Go with the big brands first. Similac and Enfamil. Then adjust and change accordingly. My first would not take Enfamil only Similac. My second will eat anything.

The hospital starts you on one, then you just watch for signs of the milk not being good for baby and try different things until you find what works. Its trial and error and it’s difficult

1 Like

Usually it’s enfamil here in Michigan. I personally found the purple can enfamil gentleease was the best

2 Likes

I used Gerber brand or enfamil

Use what the hospital uses if you have problems with that I would talk to your pediatrician before changing to anything else.

Really just depends on your baby.
I think most hospitals (at least in Texas) start them out on similac advanced… my babies couldn’t handle it. My son used similac sensitive… but my daughter couldn’t use any similac…
I had to put her on enfamil enspire gentlease.
Just reach out to companies and request sample cans of formula so if anything you can try one and so on to find the right one for yours.

Trial and error. There isn’t one better than another, it’s all going to depend on your baby. My daughter is insanely allergic to even the slightest bit of dairy and was in Puramino Amino Acid Based hypoallergenic.

Good start is a good place to start! I have 6 kids and it agreed with all of them

I went through WIC but before that I personally love the Gerber brands I used the one that is labeled in orange!

My baby does great on Gerber goodstart soothe

We like Gerber goodstart soothe, orange label.

We tried a couple for my daughter and they all gave her pretty bad constipation until we tried Similac Pro Advance. That’s the only one we’ve used since.

We used similac and it worked really well for us. It kind of depends on babies needs. There are a lot of options.