What precautions is your family taking with newborns and other family during covid?

My husband and I have a blended family, and our first baby together is expected any day now. We both have children from previous relationships who are in our home about half of the time. They all go to in-person school and who knows where else with their other parents. I’m concerned about having all the kids around the new baby with the risks of COVID and the easily compromised immune system of a newborn. Maybe I’m overthinking the whole situation, but I’d rather be safe than not. I am just asking for any input from anyone who could be in similar situations at this time, as far as precautions your family is taking?

1 Like

Make sure they wash hands before touching baby. Don’t wear shoes in the house, have them change clothes or even shower before seeing and holding baby.

9 Likes

We had our daughter Feb 24th just before all this happened. We have 3 older children 1 of which is here about half the time and goes to school. We have not had any problems and they all go to daycare with other children.

1 Like

If they have been around you while your pregnant your already exposed. You can’t send the children away indefinitely

12 Likes

Maybe ask other parents to limit their outings but if big kids have been coming and going the last 10 months you should be fine. Maybe add in some extra hand washings and hand sanitizer.

2 Likes

How many children normally are there are the same time?

If you’ve had them around you while you’re pregnant then there’s little difference. You’d also be alienating your other children which could hurt their feelings especially with the new addition.

1 Like

I make my children wear a mask when they are next to the baby and wash their hands. They are in school as well. So far we’ve been safe. They understand and don’t mind. I make anyone who comes near him mask up.

2 Likes

Just take extra precautions. Make sure everyone uses hand sanitizer before entering the house, wash hands before they do anything else when arriving at the house. Change clothing as soon as they arrive at the house. I wouldn’t limit the children that belong to you or your spouse. That could have a lot of detrimental effects on the kids.

Wash wash wash hands. Check their temps when they get back to your house if you’re really that concerned. However, keeping clean and making sure they aren’t sick is all you can do. Maybe you can work something out with the other parents that the first week you can just come home with the baby and the other parents can have the kids. That gives you a little time alone and a little time to set your mind at ease. But you can’t keep the kids away forever. Just explain to the kids they need to be washing their hands before they hold the baby, and they can’t kiss the babies mouth or hands.

I had my daughter in August. We limited the number of visitors for the first month. Everyone has to use hand sanitizer before holding her and absolutely no one allowed to kiss her besides me her dad and my other two children. My older two kids go to their bio dads occasionally and we’ve been out in public more the last few weeks. I’m breastfeeding so that’s a huge boost for baby’s immune system. As for your kids and your spouses kids I wouldn’t keep them away from the baby. Just take precautions with hand washing and no kissing.

Wash hands often and always when entering the house. Change into new clothes when coming home. Even showering can help. No shoes in the house is always cleaner. Thankfully its not affecting babies as much as adults. Try to get the kids to stay out of babies face. No kisses.

I think its a shit thing to not let other children who also belong there be there because you two decided to have a baby. And I think your kids will be extremely upset about it

I don’t have other children or a blended family to worry about which would change things, but my son hasn’t met any family outside of the family that lives on the property with us. He’s 7 months old and it hasn’t bothered him at all to not have met any of the family.

Oh it will be ok. You can’t ship your other kids off. You all made the decision to send them to in person school therefore you know the risks. Make sure they wash hands when they get home and cough and sneeze in their elbows.

We let only 2 family members come at a time. Asked them to change clothing if they had been out, and for them to shower before coming and to wash hands before holding our baby. Just do what makes you comfortable :blush:

I had my daughter in may and my niece and nephew are in kindergarten. My brother and ex sister in law make sure that they know the importance of their mask to keep them and the baby safe. I’d get all parents together and communicate about it. Goodluck!

I would say talk to your dr and see what they recommend , adjust accordingly even if it hurt s feeling s as it’s about the health of your baby ,

You’re asking NOW when the baby is due any day now. Wow

Please do not make the kids feel like they can be a part of the new babies life. I understand the fear with having a newborn, but as parent of a blended family it is already difficult for kids when a new child comes into the family. Take some precautions such as staying seperated from baby and others if any sign of illness or temp. Just take the same precautions you would if any of your other children became sick.

4 Likes

Hi, I’m and older adult with Coronary Heart Disease in the same situation you are in with the blended families. He just recommended I stay away from the children because of the increased risk of exposure.

I have a blended family and had a baby in April. We took no real precautions, nothing more than normal with a baby, but my step son is a teen who doesn’t really take much interest in the baby either.

3 Likes

Omg I’m in the same situation. My dr is going to induce me tonight. And my stepdaughter lives @ her mom but comes over on the weekend. I’ve had a talk with her about when this baby comes that she can’t be careless like she’s been in the past. Like for example being sick & still coming over & getting her younger siblings sick. So I’ve expressed it to her mom but her mom is one of those parents that she would rather be her friend than her parent kinda person. So I’m just gonna have to be more on guard with her.

2 Likes

If possible offer extra time with the other parent and see if they will have the kids tested before coming home. My daughter is 6 weeks. My 14 yr old son was at his dad’s for a week. I was induced on a Friday my son was supposed to come home that next Monday evening . Monday afternoon his step mom called because they had been in contact with a positive tested person the weekend before. It’s difficult right now with everything going on. They all quarentine as required and was tested negative when they were checked.

Wash little hands frequently, and dont let the littles kiss the face. take the same precautions u would as for the flu or rsv. Dont forget the baby has your immune system for the first few months of life

4 Likes

I would def do all above but also you can opt to keep the baby in one room while they are there, once they leave sanitize, I am assuming they are only with you for a few days. Have they kids keep a distance from the baby even wear masks is they need to come in same area as baby.

2 Likes

I work in healthcare field, I have a 3week old & 3 month old grandkids that I have only seen pics of, I can’t take a risk of giving it to them because I could have it & show no symptoms, anyone can. Be safe & do what you feel is best.

I have children in my house 3 grown and one is 5 I make the older ones go change and shower and kept washed up. 5 year old does the same thing. No kissing baby it’s hard to do but you have germs also so you need to make sure you wash up and stay clean yourself along with making sure you use plenty of Lysol.

Do what u think is best I personally would keep them away for a couple of weeks u need healing time too without having to deal with that keep baby in viewing distance after that and when ur ready have them wear a mask and wash there hands until she at least six wks and alway make them wash their hands when they come into ur home and while their there I don’t believe in living in fear but I do believe in precautions with these babies

1 Like

My baby is 3 weeks and I have school age kids. We just change out of school clothes and wash hands when they get home

1 Like

I just gave birth the 4th. Both our older kids go to school and the oldest goes to her moms. The doctor just said wash hands and no kissing on the baby.

3 Likes

Drs has told some new parents that babies cant get covid 19. Best for no one to be kissing the baby. Adult can pass it as well as children. Hand washing is important and if their alot people in and out wear mask . Clean door knob often . Try not spray to much aerosol in air . Also talk with drs before you leave hospital on what they want you to do… Relax and enjoy new baby when you get home…

2 Likes

I would speak to the other parents and ask if they could keep the children if any of them become sick. Take temps everyday and just watch for illnesses. Don’t let the other kids hold or love on the baby if they show signs of being sick.

1 Like

Buy Lysol laundry detergent make them take their clothes off and put them in clothes from your house have them wash their hands with antibacterial soap and no kissing the baby on the face or head

2 Likes

Please try to keep the new born baby away from anybody with a cold. Yhat don’t make you mean is that new borns get sick so easy. And please make sure that nobody has been expose to covid 19 at all. Please keep that baby safe and away from everybody that is sick. God bless that baby

Talk to your pediatrician.

Plan to succeed…AMEN ijn…GBU

2 Likes

Lots n lots of Lysol,bleach and hand sanitizer. Have them change their school clothes and wash their hands as soon as they get home. Just keep them as healthy as you can. Good luck and congratulations on ur baby :heart::heart:

Covid doesn’t affect infants dumbass ! Look it up and see how many have died.

RSV, regular flu, colds, all pose more danger to newborns than Covid. So we will be carrying on with life just as we would if we brought a newborn home when it wasn’t a pandemic, - wash hands when you get home and before you hold the baby.

Don’t blow it out of proportion or make it a bigger deal than it is, especially if it could exclude existing children or make them feel like their existence is a problem to their new sibling.

People used to cover the newborn’s environment with a mesh, especially around the crib and the stroller. No one was supposed to kiss the baby. A multi-use diaper or receiving blanket was placed over the shoulder, when burping; and it is used on surfaces, when changing a diaper. I hope these tips somehow help to prevent transferring germs to the newborn.

Talk to your pediatrician! She will give you sound advice. Don’t ask a bunch of strangers.

I wouldn’t want my newborn around a lot of people at this time. I don’t think you’re over thinking.