What should I do about my toddler cursing?

I used a little bit of dish soap and as they got older they got more. It worked for my daughter, but my son ended up really liking all soap and threw a fit when i wouldnt give him more, so it was a pop in the mouth or time out. Good luck

2 Likes

Slap on the mouth use to work

2 Likes

My mum washed my mouth out with soap :joy: Never swore at her again even at 25 :joy:

2 Likes

I explained that swear words are grownup words, and once they reach a certain age, then they can use them. For example I let my 13 year old swear (within reason) but not my toddler.

Replace Your bad words with “SUGAR”. In time she will too.

1 Like

Give her alternate words to say.

My daughter says them once in a while. I die. :rofl::rofl: But if I ask her what she just said she shakes her head and won’t say it again. Lately she’s been yelling at me when I swear, especially in the car. Lol. I think they all go through phases. Just don’t make a big deal about it but tell them it’s wrong.

Don’t curse in front of them

1 Like

I’ve taught myself not to curse bc of the kiddos around me - when I get upset I will say fiddlesticks, dangadoodle, shush, etc. and they think it’s funny and when they get angry instead of curse words they little one tries his best to say the ones listed and the other one doesn’t curse at all which I thank the good Lord that he doesn’t. Once you get yourself in the habit of it it’s quite fun and you as an adult don’t feel like a dirty word for saying them in front of the kids.

I told my son that words like that make people feel bad and we shouldn’t use them. I also told him that even grownups need reminders sometimes and if he hears a grownup using not-nice words to tell them that they shouldn’t. Being able to correct grown ups definitely helped nip this.

Children only repeat what they hear. If they are punished who will punish the grown ups.

No point in bothering with it. They’re just words. As a parent, you have to pick your battles and in my opinion, swearing isn’t worth the fight. There are way more things I actually care about, so I focus on those over something as stupid as “don’t say this word because some guy who’s been dead a really long time said we shouldn’t”. I’d assume that because you said you swear, you probably aren’t offended by it, so screw what other people say you should be doing and focus on what’s important to you as a parent. It isn’t your job to raise your kid to everyone else’s standards.

2 Likes

Your fault. Quit being a shitty example.

Nobody should use these words. It shows disrespect for others and a limited vocabulary.

God Bless you sweetheart. My child cussed a lot during that time but it has stopped. It’s a phase. Correct them. Anything that gets attention, they will do. Hang in there.

1 Like

Say to your toddler that we simply don’t talk like this in the house and explain that sometimes Mom and Dad’s use words they shouldn’t when you get frustrated and mad

I explained to my kids that that’s a “mommy” word and they would get in big trouble for saying it.

You will have to change it- maybe something funny so she will copy that instead. Because she is already copying you-so use it to change her behavior.

1 Like

I think most kids go thru this… I corrected mine the first couple times but then I didnt make a big deal about it and she didnt get the attention from it and POOF! IT went away! But now their 23 and 18 so it’s back! :woman_facepalming:
At that age they are responsible for what they say and do.

My son did the same thing. I sat him down and explained that those were bad words that big people use. I also told him that from now on he would be punished for using those words. Explain why it’s wrong and punish her when she does it.

She is learning it from the adults in her life.

3 Likes

Stop letting other people curse in front of her too… its not just you shes copying, its everyone around her too.

1 Like

Yep. Stop swearing and she will eventually get past it.

3 Likes

She just copies what she hears!!

1 Like

When she swears, ignore it. It’s the attention shes looking for. Change the word. Whenever you go to say “fuck” change it to fudgenugget. Not real word, and still close enough to catch yourself. Or just say poop. Kids love saying poop lol. When she says it, make a big deal about it, but positively. Like “oh that fall was funny! You okay hun?” The attention will change her words over to the “new swear”

I stopped cursing and my son tapered off down to no cursing. It was hard for me to stop cursing so I substituted words like popcorn.

Put hot sauce on her thumb and make her lick it. Then everyone that comes into your house needs to use more appropriate words.

Ignore it and most importantly stop doing it yourself!!

1 Like

Stop swearing!!! She is learning from you!!!

3 Likes

You gotta quit swearing yourself :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Ignore it …works everytime

Bar of soap to the mouth for 30secs trust me,it works! My daughter use to call people "asshole bitches"and got ratted on,soap in mouth never cussed again! And no I never put those 2 words together wen I cursed so I have no Ideal how she got it

My son did this. We told him how he shouldn’t say it, but didn’t pay any mind to it, and eventually he lost interest in it. You could stop swearing yourself(I never did and my son is 7 and we’ve reiterated that it’s not something kids should do) but that’s not really going to help. Haven’t had any incidents since then. If swearing is normalized, but the child is made aware that it’s not something they should do, but they aren’t immediately chastised for it, they will drop it. The point in copying you is to get your reaction. Same as when they bump their head and you freak out. If you freak out, so will they. If you don’t, they may not even realize they did it. I curse like a sailor and I have a very well mannered 7 year old.

Grandson makes up words and inserts them everywhere. Twinkle twinkle little star will have the tune but different words. Another Example of one song Gonna ride my horse down the GD road Gonna ride til I cant anymore. First 3 times he sung it I was in shock. Called him to me and said what song u singing baby. Yep he sings it again plain as day. So I explain that’s not how it goes and play the song for him. Now it old town rd. If you make a big deal out of it they will too.

Eventually they’ll grow out of it.

With my first we ignored and changed the subject. Didnt draw attention to it (don’t say that / that’s bad / etc) we just didnt acknowledge and I thought I won parenting!

With my 2nd it was hard bc his brother would correct him or draw attention to it. He was using the f word in place of the letter f and other things. It was cute but wrong. One day he just didnt say it anymore.

Cute not cute just try and keep your language clean she’ll copy you but for now just say that’s a bad word we shouldn’t use she’ll forget those if she doesn’t hear them!!

Teach her that it’s wrong teach her other ways to express herself I definitely understand my son is five and I teach him no say this let’s play a game we are they biggest teachers no it’s not easy but what you allow will continue be strong and find other ways take her toys I do that and it works every child is different but stay positive and teach her to be positive

Keep your language clean first off she learned from someone and at that age there really copying you, seconed don’t engage or acknowledge it just tell her that bad and we don’t say that. Best you can do she already learned it most likely she say it just try Ur best kids are going swear we still swear no one prefect

1 Like

Ignore it and don’t say it anymore. She will forget it if you don’t repeat it. Other than that kids repeat what they hear. They don’t know what words they can say or shouldn’t say.

2 Likes

Just because kids don’t hear it at home doesn’t mean they won’t hear it elsewhere and pick it up. Grocery stores, school(once they are old enough), ect… they will hear it. So just make sure she doesn’t say it to be mean and as she gets older teach her it’s not nice language to use

Children are sponges, as such they will absorb exactly whats around them. Say “oh fiddly sticks”, she will like that better
FYI, they definitely pick up on words said with emphasis.

Change your vocabulary so she isnt hearing it & then just ignore her when she says it. Once she realizes it isnt getting her any attention & she stops hearing it she will stop saying it.

3 Likes

Dont let it go. I tried that with my 3 yr old and from the F word he graduated to calling people that. Teach her it’s a bad word. They don’t grow out of it, if you dont correct them.

Every time you swear in front of her
Smack your mouth
And say
Naughty mouth
She will learn its a naughty word
I have a 4 year old and it works

Put a drop of soap in her month when she cusses

My son just stopped on his own i just ignored him when he swore

Set the example. You do not do it she will gradually quit.

I think that you shouldn’t be swearing period around children.
Children never do anything that us parents tell them to do. They do what the parents do.

Gotta set the bar mommy .stop cursing . explain that we should not curse those are bad. Words even for mommies and daddies and big people . when we do slip up we have to put up a red star.the good days will get gold stars.at theend of the week with no red stars you will get to do something rewarding . get a little toy or something . try real hard not to swear in front of her …not always easy .

My kid cusses he is 5. He got it off youtube. Some of those kids shows are sneaky. He isn’t as bad as he was he is getting better. He does know better and knows it’s wrong.When he does it he gets disciplined or warned to stop. I usually put him in his room or take his things away. If that don’t work I threaten that he’s going to lick a soap bar or hot sauce. 3rd option is if all else fails I spank my child.