What should I do about what my doctor did to me?

Omg. I’m so sorry. You need a lawyer. Now. I would not trust that Dr and def would not go see her again. Please get someone in your corner.

Get a really good Lawyer. This Dr. is really trying to get you set up for a mental thing so she can claim that you are mentally ill when you take her to court. Do NOt Give In to her. Of course you would be depressed at all that has gone on. Her lies from the beginning. Get that Lawyer to get all your visits and reports from her on your chart. God Bless you and your family and your little baby.

5 Likes

That is exactly what she is doing, they did the same to my daughter in law. Thank God she was a stept ahead of them …You need to get yourself a lawyer, You may save another mom and baby this nightmare…God bless :raised_hands: :pray: :heart:

4 Likes

Get another evaluation from another doctor ASAP. This can be used as evidence that she was trying to build a case against you. I’m so sorry you went through all of this. What a horrible awful doctor :pleading_face:

9 Likes

Obviously you have some depression. You just found out your baby has life threatening issues.

Are you suppose to just go on like you weren’t just crushed? I’d sue her & withdraw as a patient.

4 Likes

Contact a lawyer and contact the ultrasound department to get an actual copy of your ultrasound cause things tend to get misplaced or altered if legal action is taken, get all reports, notes and affidavits from the cardiologist and any other doctors treating your baby. Also make sure there is a case cause weather they knew anything before hand there still may have been nothing they could have done until the baby was born anyways. I am so sorry this happened to you

8 Likes

As someone else said, it’s going to be extremely hard to prove negligence because the scans are not 100% & if everything else was on point they can’t just order more tests.

I will share my experience, though.

When my 3rd was born the doctor who delivered her (also via section) almost killed both of us. She was grey when she was born. My daughter was rushed to the Boston Childrens 24 hours later when it had been discovered that instead of giving her a blood transfusion they just gave her fluids. As a result she had liver issues for 2 years. We didn’t know about her developmental delays until she hit kindergarten.

Looking back I was in such shock that I just was concerned about her health & passed up the numerous opportunities to look into it legally. I wish we had for no other reason than I wouldn’t be paying out of pocket for all these academic and neurological services she now needs. We’ll do it, but if we had been prudent we may have had a small egg available for her to defray the expenses that she requires due to the negligent surgeon. I’m adamantly against sue happy people so I don’t give the suggestion to each out right a malpractice attorney lightly. I echo the suggestions to stop talking to the OB if you genuinely think that it’s them trying to cover themselves. I will say our obs office called me numerous times after my daughter was in the hospital as well to check on both of us. From a mental standpoint it makes sense. PPD & PTSD are very VERY common when you’ve had a traumatic birth experience so they may be reaching out for that and not because they want to avoid a lawsuit (which their insurance will cover if it’s something that has standing). It would actually be a bad look on them NOT to touch base in case God forbid you hurt yourself or the baby out of the depression.

1 Like

I would 100% SUE them and get a new ob

1 Like

You need to speak with a medical malpractice attorney immediately

4 Likes

Contact a malpractice attorney asap. They will help you and usually no cost unless/until you get recovery. They’ll let you know if you have a case

My last child, I had severe preeclampsia which resulted in 3 seizures and an emergency c section at 29 weeks, because my doctor ignored me when I was raising concerns about how I wasn’t feeling well and how even though I told her my blood pressure was high, she told me it was ‘within normal range and there’s no reason to be concerned.’

My MIL insisted to sue for malpractice, but my husband said don’t bother because who could have known.

My last appointment before being admitted (3 days prior) she told me all my blood work was normal and everything was ok. I found out 3 years later that I was in fact, not ok. I was malnourished and severely dehydrated. Hopkins told me I could have gone my entire pregnancy if I was treated for preeclampsia.

I regret not suing because she robbed me of my last pregnancy and caused me to have a very traumatic birth. I was told I shouldn’t have anymore kids because the risk of dying was too high, so I got fixed.

1 Like

As a mom with a heart kid there’s kids that are missed that have a heart defect. It just happens. I personally don’t think your able to sue for it. You may be able to go after the doctor for trying to show you a different kids heart from an ultrasound but honestly with how busy your life will be with a heart kid. I wouldn’t waste my time. Just fight and advocate for your baby.

1 Like

Get a lawyer sue hee n the hospitable fir the bills your going to get n any long term care your baby might need

2 Likes

Definitely sue that’s ridiculous

1 Like

Contact an attorney asap

Get ur dr send referral to intercommunity for counseling they are amazing and will advocate for u

Def contact a lawyer for the best advice. Best of luck. I am sorry this happened to u

1 Like

Lawyer up NOW! Sue that doctor and make sure they take her license. She’s probably done this to many others and it won’t stop with you unless you sue. I’d be making this go public because the fact that she’s trying to use mental health to hush you is scary.

2 Likes

Get a lawyer immediately!

1 Like

Medical malpractice attorney ASAP.

1 Like

The way she is behaving is terrifying get a lawyer now. You need to sue her and see if you could get a restraining order because she passed professional a long time ago.

7 Likes

This doctor fucked I’ll MAJORLY and knows it. The red flags are flying for a reason. Now she’s 100% trying to make you look mentally unfit so that if you do try to sue she can use that as a scape goat. Please stop going to this doctor for care. Not saying that your child’s outcome would have changed but all of this is sickeningly negligence. You need to have good documentation of all of this and a good lawyer. I would seek out a second opinion regarding your mental health just to cover yourself.

Take her call the next time she tries to get a hold of you or your husband. Tell her you know she showed you a picture of someone else’s ultrasound, and you know she was negligent and unethical. Tell her you’re depressed because of the situation she put you in. To have this diagnosis dumped in your lap right after delivering is a huge blow to your mental health and that is NORMAL. A good doctor would care about your well-being, without trying to scare you or punish you for their mistakes. Tell them you’ve switched doctors, and have no desire for them to ever touch you, or even speak to you in the future. Let them know you plan to report them, and that you’ll send a letter to them regarding your stance, so they can document it properly in your chart. Ask them to not contact you again, and give a lawyers name and number for them to contact if they feel they need to communicate with you in the future.

You won’t be able to sue them. I know it feels like you should be able to, but I know from experience that you won’t get far. At the most, their malpractice insurance might cover a few cardiologist appointments, but because they didn’t cause the defect, they won’t be held liable. The pain and suffering was temporary and the outcomes will be hard to prove. Are you upset because your baby has a defect, or because they didn’t tell you? Obviously both, but you’ll have to prove it in court, which is near impossible. Definitely contact a lawyer though. A consultation is usually free, and you can have an established lawyer to give as a contact when you speak to the doctor again. Be sure to document everything in a letter and mail it to their practice. Then REPORT THEM to the medical board. They won’t lose their license, but it will be a mark on their reputation, so when the next patient reports them, they’ll see if there is habitual neglect and malpractice.

I’m sorry you’re going through this. I recommend joining some support groups for your baby’s diagnosis. Sometimes you can find groups specific to your hospital or location. For example, I live in Michigan, and we use Mott for our cardiology team, so I joined a group call Heart Families from Mott. They’ve been a huge comfort, and it helps to see others navigating a similar journey.

1 Like

yes sounds like it for sure…
2nd opinion asap.

Atleast talk to a few lawyers, I would definitely say you have a case in your hands.

get a medical lawyer IMMEDIATELY

2 Likes

You do have a good lawsuit find a malpractice lawyer

1 Like

Get a lawyer!! If you have mental issues it’s because of what you believe the doctor has done. I think that’s another strike against the doctor to pay for mental anguish, mental and emotional trauma.

2 Likes

Even if you don’t sue u need to get in contact with a lawyer for your own saftey…even if it couldn’t of been seen on a scan…she still may have a guilty conscience and really be trying to cover her tracks…just in case

2 Likes

Umm YES you should. IMMEDIATELY.

That is awful. To show you someone else’s scan to cover their own back and lies. AND go then try and say you’re mentally unwell because of HER mistake!!! And have you admitted :flushed::flushed: I would call her office TODAY and let her know you’ve reported her to the police for harassment and you will be taking her medical negligence to court.

I really hope you and baby are ok. Please take this as far as you can x

3 Likes

If it’s an underdeveloped heart there is no way in hell they could have missed that. My firstborn had heart issues and needed open heart surgery it sounds like they did not do the proper scans.

1 Like

Medical malpractice lawsuit.

2 Likes

Sue the ass off that doctor . Girl get an attorney ur gon a need one n at the end of this ull be rich that doctor will be ruined no one should go thru this !

She messed up big time and knows you can sue her. That is why she’s doing and saying the things she is. Get a lawyer asap. If you happen to be in Michigan, I have an excellent attorney for you. Don’t wait.

5 Likes

U have a lawsuit on your hands. They are trying to do damage control. I would seek an attorneys advise.

4 Likes

Sue 100%. Go to another Dr. Get all assessments done to prove you are in a positive state of mind and also check in daily with your Husband plus do counselling sessions as well.

You need to allow the new Dr to view all of your scans and go to a lawyer and find a way to prevent this Dr from having your medical information incase sue tires to remove scans or change dates you were seen.

4 Likes

Sue the p*** out of her!!!

1 Like

Definitely go get a 2nd opinion on your mental health to cover your a** if you decide to sue. Which I would definitely atleast go talk to a lawyer and see what they say

3 Likes

Not much legal advice but,
My daughter had to be taken to vandy (dr neglegence as well) and i just wanted to say that they are the best hospital ive ever been to. My daughter was near death for over a month and they fought so hard for her!
Maybe contact legal aid, i did as well, but i didnt have the time nor the mindset at the time to do all the leg work. I was too busy with my baby.
Good vibes for you and your lo.

2 Likes

I would cut all contact with the doctor. Find a new one in the mean time and start gathering all evidence. You should 100% sue.

3 Likes

Totally agree with how you feel

Get a lawyer immediately

2 Likes

Tell her she’s no longer your OB get another ASAP

2 Likes

This is crazy seek legal counsel

Get. A. Lawyer. AND SUE THAT “DOCTOR”

4 Likes

Stop going to this dr immediately and call a lawyer.Your instinct is right this dr is back peddling because she knows she is at fault and now trying to say you are unwell mentally…sue the sh*t out of her not only for the malpractice against your baby but for what she is trying to do to you.How horrible im so sorry you are dealing with this.

5 Likes

1000% lawsuit. That is unacceptable. I’m glad you didn’t let them admit you to psych that can cause a whole truckload of problems. She was definitely trying to get you admitted to use that against you. A significant among of women have PPD/PPA and there are ways to get help with it without being admitted to psych. Stand your ground

3 Likes

Sue them.She can’t use your mental health against you.That has nothing to do with medical malpractice.It sounds like shes harassing you and besides,a lot of moms get ppd(I had it with all 4 kids and my last,I had it the worse)

2 Likes

Always always, if your doctor refuses to do something that you request, either for your own care or the care of someone else say to them “Okay, but I would like it noted in my file that I asked and was denied and then I would like to have that printed out and signed that it was noted for my own records.” I promise you they will either do it or you will know to find a different doctor. For future reference of course. I hope you able to still get justice for this situation though. :pray::black_heart:

9 Likes

Maybe your baby was switched at birth

She messed up and you’re right, she’s trying to get you admitted to use it against you. Contact a lawyer immediately and start moving forward with a lawsuit. This doc is 100% in the wrong and needs to be held accountable for what they didm

4 Likes

Wow, that’s terrible. Definitely go to a new doctor to get a new diagnosis for yourself and definitely sue that doctor. You have a lot of upcoming medical bills, that alone is reason enough to sue.

1 Like

Lawyer up asap if she keeps calling you tell her she can now contact your lawyer if she has further questions. Follow your gut mama!

7 Likes

We are all human n make mistakes but MAN this was a whopper.Fo what u think is best

First & foremost contact a lawyer that special in medical malpractice & find out what grounds you have. Then get a new OB. Have them contact her and ask for your file. Then call her office and tell them that you are seeking care at a different OBGYN & will no longer be requiring her services & you wish that they do not contact you any further.
If they do contact you - refer them to the lawyer. Hopefully you have a case.

5 Likes

Contact a lawyer immediately and sue the doctor

A few things

1. It is incredibly hard to sue.
    It’s hard to prove negligence.
    It’s a lot of time and energy and money that could likely be for nothing.
    I looked down that road after some things during my son’s birth.
    No lawyer would touch our case because there was no “proof”
    That said, each case is different.
    Consult a lawyer.

As to the rest of it.
Change doctors ASAP.
Find a competing doctor/hospital not one affiliated with your current physician.
Be completely up front about what is going on and why you have become uncomfortable with this doctor.

2 Likes

So a little devils advocate. And I have never had children but …. So what if you HAD been told about the heart problems prior to birth? Could something have been done to mitigate the damage or could the damage have been repaired? Or would you have made a different choice about carrying the baby to term? I don’t think you are accusing you OB of doing anything to cause the damage to your babies heart. Just want to know the value of knowing sooner. The other issue is the ultrasound you were shown, it does sound like you were maybe show another babies ultra sound. So I would work on proving that is so. But at the end what do you seek to accomplish? If it is to make sure this never happens again then I would take my proof to your state’s medical board. If by not knowing sooner led to the condition worsening or you continuing with a pregnancy that you might not have then that is a different story.

4 Likes

Lots of love to you and your heart warrior! It sounds like your kiddo has the same CHD as my son. As far as suing, I have no advice. Your OB sounds like a quack job! I would stay away.

Also just wanted to add. Heart mama’s almost always fall into PPD because of the stress of our situations. Take care of yourself❤️

1 Like

I’d talk to a lawyer immediately. Show phone records and any and all paperwork for your entire pregnancy. Your ultrasound pics should also be in there with anatomy scans checking blood flow , heart, umbilical health, head circumference, femur length. I’d also get a no contact order and only your lawyer speaks to the OB. I’d get the cardiologist to make a statement about the pic you showed AND have a different OB look at your entire file. The harassment is ridiculous! No doctor forces pills and a psych eval on someone with mild PPD. It feels weird to me too!!

3 Likes

Stop going to, calling or talking to that dr immediately. Secure a lawyer. Go to the hospital and request all of your medical records to include x-rays and ultrasounds…all of them. Start writing down time,dates, appointments, calls, text’s… anything else you can think of that may help your case. If you can look up the Doctors credentials where they went to school where they got their certified practicing license… All the information you can get will be needed for you to make a case. I’m heartbroken for you as parents and your precious baby. Praying for good luck and good health​:pray:t2::heart:

5 Likes

Get and attorney now and change doctors fast. That sounds exactly like what she is doing!

2 Likes

I would contact an attorney now

2 Likes

See a lawyer immediately. Like you say if an error was made and they admitted that they hadn’t viewed the baby’s heart on ultrasound it’s one thing. But to deny something that you are being told was not an image of your baby’s heart is something else. And trying to deflect it by flagging PPD is unforgivable. Your mental state now is completely irrelevant to the case even if you do have PPD. See a lawyer and get some answers. You have a very sick baby who is going to require a LOT of medical care. I hope your baby gets great care and a good outcome. :two_hearts:

1 Like

That’s exactly what she’s doing. She’s already setting up her defense for a court case! Wow!!!
Go after her!!!

3 Likes

Assuming she’s a doctor that takes all aspects of her job seriously and wouldn’t commit fraud, if those are the images she was shown then she made the best decision she could with the information she had. She likely feels terrible that something like this occurred and is spending more time on your case due to the circumstances. In this scenario, the wrong scans and interpretation were put into your chart. I assure you, there are numerous protocols in place for these types of situations and an investigation will be launched to see how it could have occurred.

Still pursue all legal avenues to ensure that your family is protected.

If you showed signs and symptoms of PPD she is legally mandated to report that and follow up on it. She may be being a bit overzealous due to the situation. They will be investigating her now and she has to make sure she follows protocol entirely in this other matter or they can say she is being negligent.

You likely aren’t capable of having a healthy doctor/patient relationship at this point anyways so it would be wise to transfer care and make her aware. She is legally required to follow your care until you’re established elsewhere.

4 Likes

Holy f - if no one has told you today, you’re doing amazing and you’re a great mother!

Run, don’t walk to a malpractice attorney and show him what you showed us. She sounds unstable or knows she messed up.

2 Likes

Definitely talk to a lawyer; but I’d say you don’t really have a case being if the heart showed it was fully developed on ultrasound and you asked for another (they usually don’t just grant it for peace of mind).

Hun all i can say is talk to a lawyer!

1 Like

I’d sue. That’s negligence. Nope.

My son had 2 ultrasounds at our local hospital and he also has an underdeveloped heart, his left side grew to only 10% and they missed it both times!! Even after us telling the tech that his dad and I were both born with a heart murmur so please take a good look at his heart. I went with a friend to get her ultrasound at a different place and asked how its possible that they missed it and she said it’s nearly impossible to miss not seeing 4 chambers of a heart!! It almost went unnoticed again once he was born, our nurse new something was wrong but the NICU sent him back to us 3 times saying nothing was with him! But she called our pediatrician who just happened to be a cardiologist and that’s when we found out he was born with Hypolplastic left heart syndrome.
Our world got flipped so upside and our focus was on our son and we were in the hospital for a few months then the therapy and all the things we never had a moment to look into sueing but it still crosses my mind! My thoughts are with you and your family it’s a tough road at times!
Also side note I did get a copy of the ultrasound and showed it to his cardiologist and she as well said she didn’t see anything but I could also tell she was super uncomfortable like she didn’t want to be involved if I was suing anybody!:woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I think you’re right…get a lawyer. Something isn’t right

6 Likes

Get all the phone records and have all proof of appointments etc. Get a lawyer! If she was actually concerned for your safety she would have contacted the police to come get you. She was harassing you and mentally abusing you. And tampering with patient information that caused lack of treatment to you and your child tjat could have or could sti potentially lead the loss of life :frowning: This is absolutely insane! She will lose her license and you’re going to win a big case. Go for the thro@t in this situation. Extreme medical negligence and harrassment. Wow

5 Likes

I would take all ur information to an attorney they would look at all the info and decide if there is a case. I would also have that attorney send a letter telling that doctor their services are no longer needed. And find a different doctor

4 Likes

Contact an attorney ASAP!!!

4 Likes

You need 2sue her.as well as report her to the health professional society of South Africa .also 4 medical bills currently n future. Hope she lose her license 2practice.hooe all goes well 4baby n you

1 Like

First and foremost, find an attorney and see if you have grounds for a lawsuit, from there they will walk you through the process! I will let you know that lawsuits can get costly!

Find a new OB/GYN and ask for your records to be transferred! They cannot deny it! Make sure you’re requesting that ALL information in your file be sent because they will leave out things if you don’t.

5 Likes

Girl I would sue and take action!!

2 Likes

Get a really good lawyer, and save every document given to u at every appointment including that picture! Funny how they slap the mental thing on you when they know they’re wrong!!! Smh that doctor ought to be given a mental health check!!

2 Likes

What would having the diagnosis in utero changed? Babe still would have needed cardiac care after birth and babe was born fine. In utero ultrasounds, while very good technology, aren’t fool proof and things aren’t always caught. That’s why other tests are done—Newborn screens, CCHD screening, etc. Also why babe stays in the hospital a bit after birth. I think you’re being unreasonable and because there was no direct negligence or adverse outcomes, you’d be hard pressed to win a lawsuit. Sounds like you’re trying to place blame somewhere through your own grieving process.

5 Likes

Don’t give her updates. She’s contacting to look better in court and to have more info regarding the case. They’ll use anything out of paying.

2 Likes

Get a lawyer and see what you can do.

2 Likes

Medical negligence is a very real thing, please get an attorney now, transfer your care to a new Doctor. Wishing you and your baby the best. :pray:

4 Likes

I don’t think you’re crazy. There’s a definite possibility that she is trying to cover her butt. But on the flip side some of her behaviors can be explained by partially covering her butt but also concern. It might not have been her who made the mistake. Perhaps the ultrasound tech submitted the wrong ultrasounds. However, if that is the case she needs to listen to you when you say the specialist says there is no way that ultrasound was of your baby’s heart, and chase down what could’ve went wrong.
As for checking up on you more, it may be out of guilt+genuine concern. You found out abruptly that your child was born with this condition. Mamas who already knew for weeks and had time to psychologically prepare are still at risk for PPD, and plenty of mamas with perfectly healthy babies still struggle. This is also not your first. You have two other kids to tend to while recovering postpartum. She could possibly just be worried since you are at higher risk for developing PPD/PPA due to the circumstances. After the mix up I’m sure she doesn’t want a suicide/suicide attempt on her conscience either.

I would definitely speak to a lawyer and see what they say though.

Sorry to hear your baby has a lot of serious health issues. I would not trust that the scan she showed you is your child. My guess is she has already doctored one up of someone else’s child or somehow the scan got mixed up with wrong one put in your chart. Sounds like she’s trying to cover her ass. She knows she screwed up and is looking to try to gaslight you into thinking that you are mentally unstable which could be a defense for her but ultimately would not change the fact that she seems negligent in my opinion. I would find a different provider ASAP and get a lawyer ASAP. Many lawyers will do a consultation for free and then you can go from there.

My last 2 were born at Vanderbilt and we had issues both times. And I had issues with my prenatal and postnatal care with Vanderbilt too. I hope everything works out for you. :heart:

2 Likes

Medical malpractice lawsuits are extremely hard to win. I’m sorry for what you have been through. Honestly, I would just find a new doctor and move on with life.

2 Likes

Contact a medical injury lawyer. From expirence it’s not easy to sue a medical professional. Drs will tell you that the other Dr did wrong but they won’t testify to that in court. A lawyer will pay for medical testimony but they weigh whether you will get a high enough settlement that their portion will cover all expenses & still get them enough profit.

She’s scared you’ll sue. That’s why she did all that at your 6 week. She’s trying to make it look like you’re mentally challenged. Get a lawyer ASAP. They’ll probably want you to see a phycologist unrelated to this Dr to eliminate any claims she can make against you.

2 Likes

You need to sue, this doctor could let another child be born unprepared and they could die!!
Your family needs compensation for the medical needs and finances it takes to care for someone in medical care.
Had you known, you could have better prepared. Emotional distress, negligence, this is a lawyers field day.

2 Likes

Last I checked it was a free country and you can refuse any medical appointments and or care.
Find a new Dr girl.

3 Likes

You would have to prove intent. Meaning that the doctor intended to harm you or the baby. Very doubtful that a lawyer could do anything.

1 Like

Get a lawyer!! You definitely have a lawsuit …those funds you get will help take care of your child …she deserves it…this dr is trying to cover her a$$

Take action now ! Don’t hold back, take them for everything !!

1 Like

Document everything. Contact an attorney and do not go back to that doctor.

3 Likes

A lawyer might be a better person to ask than Facebook… :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

And the amount of people on here that just see dollar signs is scary.

This is why people are avoiding going in to the medical field. Because every decision you make could lead to destroying your life. There are too many people who look for every possibility to “take them for everything” because they just want a quick payday.

11 Likes

That is crazy!! I would switch doctors immediately and refuse to see her again after trying to have you admitted on top of everything else. I think you’re right I’m assuming she is trying to put your mental state in question in the court if you decide to sue. She definitely missed it and she should’ve just admitted she missed it and not lied.

2 Likes

You need to pursue this. Not only for you and your baby but others as well. I am sorry you are going through this.

1 Like

I would think that for malpractice, you’d have to show that something could have been done differently - even if she found the heart issue, what would have been your options?

3 Likes