What should I expect with pitocin?

Water broke this morning. I’m 35 weeks. They began pitocin just a short while ago… What should I expect? FTM

3 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What should I expect with pitocin?

It should help speed up your labor, but it can and usually does make contractions stronger and more intense. There was a vast difference between my pitocin labor and natural labor.

3 Likes

It is going to make the contractions much more forceful.

4 Likes

I had pitocin after my water broke and it made my contractions strong. No epidural and it still took 24 hours to have my daughter. You may as well go ahead and get an epidural with that pitocin. I was in absolute excruciating pain with pitocin and no pain medicine.

1 Like

It’s not fair to ask that it’s different for everyone and everyone’s experience is different it also depends on the other stuff they give you. Just breath and let the contractions work for you.
When I was induced it seemed faster but if you think about it. Your ready for labour and they just put you into full labour. You don’t have days or weeks of contractions to go off of until you get there. It just now your having a baby.
Hugs you got this.

Shakes, sometimes if the dose is pretty high your shoulder can hurt, try like to put in a cathedor and be prepared for the first pee after the cathedor to sting. I didn’t feel the contractions too much I’ve been induced 4 times. They always had to break my water. It’s just a waiting game on your cervix to dilate and contractions to get closer. One of the epidurals I had only worked on one side of my body so I felt everything. I think back and it wasn’t too bad but then it was awful other than after birth I was able to walk sooner. Come to think of it the shakes and shoulder hurting might have been because of the epidural (I was under the impression being induced hurts more so I got it). I had 1 baby without induction or csection and only got the epidural last minute pretty much I have to say that hurt a lot, more so than half my body not getting the epidural lol.

I had it with all 3…(makes them faster and stronger) shortly after, about 6 cm dilated, i asked for the epidural…as the epidural can make them slow down, they turn up Pitocin so they keep coming…smooth sailing from there! Congratulations and good luck!

People say contractions are stronger. But I was induced at 34 weeks with my first & it was the easiest of all three of my kids. Hurt way less than my other two spontaneous births.

1 Like

It is to help contractions along so it will make them more consistent and strong. But “should” speed things up a little more.

Everyone is saying faster and stronger, with myself it slowed everything down and was more intense. My first all natural was like an hour max, the second d one who was induced with pictocin was over 12 hours

My water broke at noon. Pitocin at 4. Epidural by 6 and baby out by 1030

it made me feel like the epidural wasn’t in my system and I hated it

Considering how long it takes them to post questions you already had the baby by now. So :person_shrugging:. I got no advice to offer

Why did they give you pitocin ?didn’t you ask why is it needed,what to expect and what are the side effects on the baby